Memorable Matches

Viratas

On 11/4/2022 at 9:07 AM, nhs67 said:

One of my more memorable ones, in person, was Brent Metcalf VS Dustin Schlatter at the Medina Holiday Invite their respective senior scholastic seasons:

As an avid Davison follower and supporter in the Roy Hall from the late 1990s on, there was a certain aura of invincibility around Brent heading in to his senior season.  Many people intimate to the scene believed that he was the best 145lber (ever) but would be not just a contender for a title at the D1 level, but a favorite to win.

When Schlatter took it to him at his own game (Metcalf won in rideouts), folks started to understand a little bit that we were entering a new era of middle weight depth.  People absolutely believed that Metcalf was the truth AND that we had 'other' truths in the chamber.

Everyone who left after seeing that match had not just a high respect but a complete belief that what they saw was special.

I was there and have that match in my library.

How about Andy Daniels vs. John Azevedo 1978 NCAA finals ....Daniels fall :30, which reminded me of an unbelievable high school match at the Dapper Dan in 1990 two, I believe undefeated 4 time state champions......the arena went dead silent.    

• Fire 1