US's problem with the Chinese balloon

mspart

The chinese forced aircraft of ours in their airspace to land and be held hostage.   This is a fact and they know it.  Bringing down their balloon should not rile them at all.   They should expect it.   Perhaps they are trying to get a feel for what they can and cannot get away with.   By not bringing it down immediately in whatever manner is best, we are signalling that we will tolerate chinese incursions of our airspace.  Which might invite more such episodes.   Why would we not bring it down, either by shooting it down or by some other means?   This is basic national defense.   They think they have jammed any signals that it might transmit and that is enough?   If that is the case, then this is a spy machine and an overt act.   I don't see why we condone such a thing.   Bring it down. 

mspart

Needed to get Tom Cruise out there and hop on the balloon and bring it down.   He could jump out of an F22 with his extreme good aim.  

It took an F22 to bring it down?  Seems like a lesser fighter could have handled it.   I read an article that the F22 shot a heat seaking missile.   What the heck was generating heat?  I thought it was helium, not hot air.   Oh well, it is down and now the frog men have to locate and bring it up.  

Any guesses?   I'm guessing it is just as the Chinese said, it was a weather balloon with 3 semi trucks worth of equipment.  🤣

mspart

19 hours ago, headshuck said:

You’d think after a week of planning, we could’ve popped the balloon and retrieved the equipment, but someone must have wanted the equipment blown to smithereens.

With a supersonic fighter no less.  

mspart

Monitoring radio spectrum jamming techniques may be a goal of China in these endeavors.   That is something I would do. They certainly learned something when they flew by undetected!  I also thought they would shoot it down with bullets, but they didn't.  It looked like the surveillance equipment separated intact.  They will have collected most of that by now.

Which is why the question persists - Why did they allow it to fly all the way across the USA?   China maybe got what they wanted by that inaction.   It should have been brought down much sooner in my opinion, like when it was found over Alaska. 

mspart