Real Woods Ankle Ride???

Jimmy Cinnabon

2 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I continue to abhor the ankle ride (as well as double boots in) regardless of the wrestler. Real should have been called for stalling. He would have won anyways because he's the better wrestler.

Doesn't matter. We learned recently that officials won't call top stalling

Will Iowa fans call for stalling the next time they see Real Woods ride the ankle?  I doubt it.

29 minutes ago, Gus said:

Have you ever seen a fan base call for stalling on their own guy?

No, but a coach has

"Gable repeatedly mentioned the significance of the words engraved at the base of the statue: “(No) stalling…execute…contribute forever…in sport and in life.” He says he was known to persuade officials to warn his own wrestlers for stalling, and if done at the proper time, it would help his Hawkeyes realize important principles."

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

No, but a coach has

"Gable repeatedly mentioned the significance of the words engraved at the base of the statue: “(No) stalling…execute…contribute forever…in sport and in life.” He says he was known to persuade officials to warn his own wrestlers for stalling, and if done at the proper time, it would help his Hawkeyes realize important principles."

So it’s a deep rooted Iowa tradition. Hawks fans should bring it back. 

In Missouri, we call hooking the near ankle, the "Iowa" ride.  

I once took a team from Missouri up and wrestled in a tournament in southern Iowa.  The officials were letting the wrestlers hook and sit on the ankle and I eventually shouted out to the official about the stall tactic.  One of the spectators on the first row yelled out: "You do know your in Iowa, right?"