Ads

4xJVchamp

I don’t know if anyone else is having the same issue but these ads are so damn intrusive. They often cause the page that I’m on to refresh and they take up a good portion of the screen. I’m all for monetizing your site and getting that money. However this is probably the worst user experience for a site that I visit on a near daily basis. 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 4xJVchamp said:

You’re so cool I’m gonna call you cool-o

1. Of course the ads make the site impossible to use. There's a popup video on every page. Nobody can deal with that.

2. Some people still are using the site. 

How can 1 and 2 both be possible?

Edited by billyhoyle

Turn on an ad blocker…..   also it can’t cost a lot to run a message board…. 

The cost of setting up and maintaining a message board (online forum) can vary significantly based on several factors, such as the platform you choose, hosting, and additional features. Here’s a breakdown of potential costs:

1. Platform/Software

• Open-source options (free): You can use free, open-source software like phpBB, Discourse, or MyBB. These options have no upfront costs but may require technical knowledge for setup and maintenance.
  • Paid solutions: Platforms like vBulletin or XenForo charge a one-time fee or subscription for licensing:
    • vBulletin: ~$250 one-time license or $15/month.
    • XenForo: ~$160 one-time purchase.

2. Web Hosting

• Shared hosting: Costs between $3 to $15 per month. Good for small, low-traffic forums.
  • VPS (Virtual Private Server): $20 to $100 per month, depending on resources needed (better for larger communities).
  • Dedicated server: $100+ per month, for very large or high-traffic boards.

3. Domain Name

• Typically costs around $10 to $20 per year for domain registration.

4. Maintenance and Security

• Self-managed: If you maintain the forum yourself, costs will primarily be time and occasional expenses for upgrades or security plugins.
  • Managed services: Companies like Discourse offer fully-managed hosting options starting from $100/month.

5. Customization/Design

• You might need to hire developers or designers if you want custom features or a unique look. Freelancers or agencies can charge anywhere from $500 to $5,000+ depending on the complexity.

Summary of Costs

• Basic, self-hosted forum: $50-$150/year (open-source software + shared hosting + domain).
  • Premium, managed forum: $500-$2,000/year (paid software + higher-tier hosting).

The total cost will depend on the forum size, traffic, and how much control or customization you need.

On 10/13/2024 at 1:28 PM, 4xJVchamp said:

I don’t know if anyone else is having the same issue but these ads are so damn intrusive. They often cause the page that I’m on to refresh and they take up a good portion of the screen. I’m all for monetizing your site and getting that money. However this is probably the worst user experience for a site that I visit on a near daily basis. 

OP - Brave browser or ad blocker. Mostly a problem on mobile but the workarounds are the same for mobile and desktop.

First if pop ups are pinned to our screen, why are the Ads threads no longer pinned.  Second doesn't wrestling season start in a couple weeks yet no change to this issues.  Third (think I've said before) you build a web site/forums with nice features but the allow pop ups to block features making them unusable.  Doesn't make sense but maybe makes cents? 

• Ionel 1

6 minutes ago, Caveira said:

They’ve repeatedly said they won’t change what it is now.  So ad block.   Which also sucks as a solution…… as a lot of other sites won’t let you really see their content with ad blocker enabled.   

Shillie gonna get no shillings.

18 hours ago, Caveira said:

They’ve repeatedly said they won’t change what it is now.  So ad block.   Which also sucks as a solution…… as a lot of other sites won’t let you really see their content with ad blocker enabled.   

Ad Block on all your sites, then cancel or pause on the sites that won't allow it.  Takes like 5 seconds.

I get 0 ads on this site.

1 hour ago, Saylors_Tiny_Willie said:

Millions of people and companies have figured out how to have a balance between ads and site usability.

Not the genius though...

I feel like if it was any other website we wouldn't get so many ads for male enhancement.