Maccabi USA Looking for Jewish Wrestlers for 2025 World Maccabiah Games

CoachPrebes

Coaches:

My name is Rob Prebish; I was recently named as one of the coaches for the USA wrestling team that will compete in the 22nd World Maccabiah Games in Israel next summer (July, 2025). Together with Dan Chaid and Maccabi USA- the organizing association for the American Maccabiah movement, we are looking for the best Jewsh wrestlers in the county to try out for the Maccabiah Games team.

The World Maccabiah Games is the third largest multi-sport event in the world, behind the Summer Olympics, and Pan American Games. Jewish athletes from all over the world will converge on Israel in the summer of 2025 to compete for Maccabiah glory. The USA wrestling team has consistently finished as one of the top performing nations in wrestling: dominating the freestyle competition, and holding their own in Greco Roman. Even with the current strife going on in Israel, we believe that the World Maccabiah Games will go on next summer.

Coach Chaid and I, along with Maccabi USA and David Groverman, the Chair for the Maccabi USA Wrestling program, are looking for the best Jewish wrestlers to consider applying for the 2025 wrestling team. Please pass the following link on to your Jewish wrestlers: https://maccabiusa.com/22nd-maccabiah-sports-2025/ 

The World Maccabiah Games is an outstanding athletic and cultural event that all American Jewish athletes should strive to attend. Athletes spend three weeks traveling throughout Israel, learning about the culture, history, and significance of Israel and Judaism and return with a greater appreciation of their personal faith.Having experienced the World Maccabiah games as an athlete, it not only gave me the chance to compete internationally, but develop a deep love, understanding, and appreciation for the culture of Israel that has helped shape me into the person I am today.

Please share this email with your athletes and encourage them to sign up to be considered for a spot on the 2025 World Maccabiah Games wrestling team. Instruct your wrestlers to email me directly- my contact information is listed below. We would like to have our team(s) selected by November 2024 so athletes have plenty of time to raise money to travel to Israel and participate in the 22nd World Maccabiah Games. Feel free to reply to this email with any questions.

Maccabiah Games Wrestling Contacts

Rob Prebish: Prebes_Prebish@ccpsnet.net 

Application Link: 22st Maccabiah Games Application Link

8 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

so ethnic?

What does that even mean?  Seems you are trying to get a particular response (to which you have a response just waiting).

If your mom was Jewish when you were born, you are Jewish.  If you converted to Judaism, you are Jewish.  Your dad could be a Kohen or a Levi, but if your mom was not Jewish, you aren't considered Jewish.

"Ethnicity" has nothing to do with it.

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

What does that even mean?  Seems you are trying to get a particular response (to which you have a response just waiting).

If your mom was Jewish when you were born, you are Jewish.  If you converted to Judaism, you are Jewish.  Your dad could be a Kohen or a Levi, but if your mom was not Jewish, you aren't considered Jewish.

Honest question.  My Aunt was Catholic.  She married a Jewish man.  They had children.  Later, she converted to Judaism.  Are my cousins Jewish?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

3 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

I just want to know the rules.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

24 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Honest question.  My Aunt was Catholic.  She married a Jewish man.  They had children.  Later, she converted to Judaism.  Are my cousins Jewish?

I believe they are not considered Jewish.  However, the more liberal sects (like Reform Judaism) recognize children of a Jewish father to be Jewish.  Heck, even Israel's Right of Return law allows anyone with at least one Jewish *grandparent* to become an Israeli citizen.

So, depends on who is making the judgment.  Roll your own!

32 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

I believe they are not considered Jewish.  However, the more liberal sects (like Reform Judaism) recognize children of a Jewish father to be Jewish.  Heck, even Israel's Right of Return law allows anyone with at least one Jewish *grandparent* to become an Israeli citizen.

So, depends on who is making the judgment.  Roll your own!

well that's why i asked and ran into a bunch of indignation.

Maybe Cael and other mormons can try out?

Mormon teaching is that they are the chosen people and those calling themselves "Jews" are actually Gentiles...

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

1 hour ago, AgaveMaria said:

Maybe Cael and other mormons can try out?

Mormon teaching is that they are the chosen people and those calling themselves "Jews" are actually Gentiles...

While we are at it, let's get the members of "Jews for Jesus" in on the action!

9 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I just want to know the rules.

https://maccabiusa.com/games-information/#1642095849770-e51e8f29-abd6

All Jews by birth or Jews by choice are welcome to apply for a position as part of a MACCABI USA delegation.  Jews by choice may have been converted by Rabbis of any denomination. Jews by birth qualify if the following conditions are all met: One of their birth parents or adoptive parents is Jewish. They consider themselves to be Jewish. They do not identify as being a member of another religion. Other circumstances deserving of consideration will be determined by the Eligibility Committee.

• Bob 2

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

https://maccabiusa.com/games-information/#1642095849770-e51e8f29-abd6

All Jews by birth or Jews by choice are welcome to apply for a position as part of a MACCABI USA delegation.  Jews by choice may have been converted by Rabbis of any denomination. Jews by birth qualify if the following conditions are all met: One of their birth parents or adoptive parents is Jewish. They consider themselves to be Jewish. They do not identify as being a member of another religion. Other circumstances deserving of consideration will be determined by the Eligibility Committee.

thanks