WTT Finals Thread

peanut

At 61kg we have Vito vs Blaze. I don’t think anyone expects Blaze — a high schooler — to beat the defending world champ. If he loses people will say something like “wow you made it the WTT finals as a high schooler. Amazing. Now get back to your homeroom.” And if he wins he’s a legend forever. Not a bad position to be in!

At 70kg we have Green vs Pantaleo. It’s great to see Green back. Let’s see what these guys can do.

At 79kg, we have JB versus Marsteller. Can JB reverse the outcome from last year? Also, how about that age gap between Blaze and JB? One guy probably lives with his parents and the other guy has like five kids.

At 92kg, we have Zahid versus DT. This is a great matchup. Zahid is the reigning bronze medalist, and he was virtually even with Aaron Brooks at OTTs. And DT is DT. Of course, there may be questions about conditioning from one or both guys. All I know is that I’ll be watching for the cold spray. Oh and if Zahid wins, he might have the best Mexican Independence Day (Sept 16) of his life. I know I’ll be enjoying some Mexican food. 

Edited by peanut
  • Bob 3

3 minutes ago, Gantry said:

I don't think that hand injury or whatever it was is new for Vito, but maybe I'm over-reading his reaction. 

Those fingers were taped from the beginning - I'd guess it's a recent dislocation/compromised knuckle, perfectly common in a finals match, just less-common for a guy who didn't wrestle yesterday. 

Both guys showed a lot of respect/caution. 

Blaze looking overmatched physically, which was true all day yesterday...

2 minutes ago, alliseeisgold said:

Blaze doesn't score enough to see him living up to the hype 

Yeah, he only scores enough to beat grown ass men as a 17yr old. Totally unworthy...

Despite my sarcasm, I see the point. I think it'll depend on how he grows into his mature body. There's nothing wrong with winning stingy. He also doesn't give up enough points to be unworthy of the hype, and winning depends on both-sides of that equation. 

• Bob 1

So .... we need to wait three hours now for Round 2 of the finals?  (3 PM EST?)

This event is too drawn out.  They had all the semis for all the weights and styles on one single mat.   

I guess they need time to colonize our minds more slowly with commercials

The Sirens' Call

HOW ATTENTION BECAME THE WORLD'S MOST ENDANGERED RESOURCE

By Chris Hayes

ABOUT THE SIRENS’ CALL

A powerful wide-angle reckoning with how the assault from attention capitalism on our minds and our hearts has reordered our politics and the very fabric of our society

We all feel it—the distraction, the loss of focus, the addictive focus on the wrong things for too long. We bump into the zombies on their phones in the street, and sometimes they’re us. We stare in pity at the four people at the table in the restaurant, all on their phones, and then we feel the buzz in our pocket. Something has changed utterly: for most of human history, the boundary between public and private has been clear, at least in theory. Now, as Chris Hayes writes, “With the help of a few tech firms, we basically tore it down in about a decade.” Hayes argues that we are in the midst of an epoch-defining transition whose only parallel is what happened to labor in the nineteenth century: attention has become a commodified resource extracted from us, and from which we are increasingly alienated. The Sirens’ Call is the big-picture vision we urgently need to offer clarity and guidance.

Because there is a breaking point. Sirens are designed to compel us, and now they are going off in our bedrooms and kitchens at all hours of the day and night, doing the bidding of vast empires, the most valuable companies in history, built on harvesting human attention. As Hayes writes, “Now our deepest neurological structures, human evolutionary inheritances, and social impulses are in a habitat designed to prey upon, to cultivate, distort, or destroy that which most fundamentally makes us human.” The Sirens’ Call is the big book we all need to snap everything into a single holistic framework so that we can wrest back control of our lives, our politics, and our future.

SEE LESS

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

Blaze doesn't score enough to see him living up to the hype 

He scored enough to beat 3 senior world team members in a row who made a combined 9 NCAA's finals while being significantly smaller than all of them and limiting Vito to a push out. I think he will be just fine.

• Bob 2
  • Brain 1

2 minutes ago, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

Very true, but it is passive wrestling and I do not think it will be allowed internationally.

yeah you're correct, i always just feel compelled to stick up for burroughs when i suspect someone is implying his style is lazy, which you weren't doing.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

Just now, Hammerlock3 said:

yeah you're correct, i always just feel compelled to stick up for burroughs when i suspect someone is implying his style is lazy, which you weren't doing.

He has adapted his style to mimick many of the Eastern Bloc gents.  They exert energy at a premium to ensure high rates of scoring.

He is simply more wise.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Just now, nhs67 said:

He has adapted his style to mimick many of the Eastern Bloc gents.  They exert energy at a premium to ensure high rates of scoring.

He is simply more wise.

exactly, hes got to of course. He used to be able to block more effectively with a collar, but guys seem to have figured that out somewhat.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."