Folkstyle Wrestling is Superior

With another cycle of Olympic Wrestling in the books  followed by the inevitable traditional quad annual should we switch to freestyle brigade choir. I just wanted to remind everyone Folkstyle wrestlers are superior to Freestyle wrestlers

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Bob 7
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

My least favorite thing about freestyle is the chest wrap or head pinch off a shot to a cheap tilt to score. Just feels like it’s rewarding bad wrestling and the non-offensive guy. I know that’s technically not true but it drives me nuts watching it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Bob 4

Freestyle is ok.  I don't believe changing college wrestling will help the Freestyle wrestlers much.  For all the talk of guys like Retheford not placing because it fits a narrative, there are facts like an Injury and Rivera getting a medal that at least challenge folkstyke as a scapegoat.  

My favorite part of freestyle is when a wrestler gets a leglace and wins by TF in 12 seconds so we never actually get to see who the better wrestler is. My second favorite part is the arbitrary (and often match-deciding) referee decision of who goes on the shot clock.

• Bob 2

22 hours ago, Fletcher said:

My favorite part of freestyle is when a wrestler gets a leglace and wins by TF in 12 seconds so we never actually get to see who the better wrestler is. My second favorite part is the arbitrary (and often match-deciding) referee decision of who goes on the shot clock.

The better wrestler would not have been taken down and put in a leg lace. Part of being a better wrestler in FS is not getting leg laced. How is that different than hating to see someone taken down and pinned in the first period in a folk style match and we never get to see who the better wrestler is?

I get that you and many US wrestling fans don't think that exposure should be scoring moves. I don't see how FS exposure is that different from Folkstyle cheap tilts, to me see like similar level of control/dominance.  I do prefer the old rules that locks had to be released

And finally I have not watched that many FS matches decided by a shot clock, probably about the same number of folk style matches that get decided by a referee's arbitrary stall calls.

On 8/27/2024 at 12:10 PM, Idaho said:

100%... tweak the rules a little... no riding time and 30 seconds of non-scoring puts the wrestlers back in neutral.  Overtime is to the death. 

well, this doesn't really make sense.

we want to put guys back on their feet who are doing nothing after 30 seconds..

but then want to watch them do nothing until one of them dies? thats a long boring match

lol

2 hours ago, Scouts Honor said:

well, this doesn't really make sense.

we want to put guys back on their feet who are doing nothing after 30 seconds..

but then want to watch them do nothing until one of them dies? thats a long boring match

lol

What's even more boring is watching 4 minutes of dry humping on the mat....but if that's what you prefer and think it's more exciting then being back on the feet, then you are entitled to your opinion. #growthesport. 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 8/27/2024 at 12:56 PM, Jim L said:

The better wrestler would not have been taken down and put in a leg lace. Part of being a better wrestler in FS is not getting leg laced. How is that different than hating to see someone taken down and pinned in the first period in a folk style match and we never get to see who the better wrestler is?

I get that you and many US wrestling fans don't think that exposure should be scoring moves. I don't see how FS exposure is that different from Folkstyle cheap tilts, to me see like similar level of control/dominance.  I do prefer the old rules that locks had to be released

Bolding mine.  That’s a lot of words to say you agree with him.

Edited by 1032004

On 8/27/2024 at 1:10 PM, Idaho said:

100%... tweak the rules a little... no riding time and 30 seconds of non-scoring puts the wrestlers back in neutral.  Overtime is to the death. 

Unlimited OT is not a good option IMO.

Judo has this rule and it has become a travesty. In big matches it seems like more than 50% matches go into OT as competitors seem to wait for OT to really try to score (I see this is Folkstyle matches with tied matches later in the third period, both wrestlers seem to slow down saving a good attack for OT)

Additionally with close matches in Judo it is really hard to score and then as competitors tire, it is even harder to score. Too many big matches end up being decided on penalties.

55 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Unlimited OT is not a good option IMO.

Judo has this rule and it has become a travesty. In big matches it seems like more than 50% matches go into OT as competitors seem to wait for OT to really try to score (I see this is Folkstyle matches with tied matches later in the third period, both wrestlers seem to slow down saving a good attack for OT)

Additionally with close matches in Judo it is really hard to score and then as competitors tire, it is even harder to score. Too many big matches end up being decided on penalties.

Good points - Remember when the would start guys in on a double leg? haha.

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

Good points - Remember when the would start guys in on a double leg? haha.

Wasn't it a single leg? The upper body clinch was horrible as well.

I think the best tiebreaker ever was the original thirty second ride out. I know it was not perfect, though the many changes have made it worse.

Also for folkstyle, my opinion is that tiebreakers should only be for tournaments, bring back draws for dual meets.

On 8/27/2024 at 10:56 AM, Jim L said:

I get that you and many US wrestling fans don't think that exposure should be scoring moves. I don't see how FS exposure is that different from Folkstyle cheap tilts, to me see like similar level of control/dominance.  I do prefer the old rules that locks had to be released

And finally I have not watched that many FS matches decided by a shot clock, probably about the same number of folk style matches that get decided by a referee's arbitrary stall calls.

I think the answer is somewhere in the middle here. Easy fix is that you have to transition to a different move to score on the same sequence. Like in folkstyle😉

14 hours ago, Idaho said:

What's even more boring is watching 4 minutes of dry humping on the mat....but if that's what you prefer and think it's more exciting then being back on the feet, then you are entitled to your opinion. #growthesport. 

and people wonder about the gay thing