Best USA Freestyle Wrestlers Ever! 1972 ~ 3 Gold, 2 Silver and 1 Bronze.

Flashback to a time when we were the dominators! Anyone watch this live back then?

image.png.7e694351bef702cbde01837a93ae1c92.png

The 1972 US men's freestyle wrestling Olympic team included the following wrestlers who won medals:

Dan Gable: Won gold in the welterweight division

Wayne Wells: Won gold in the middleweight division

Ben Peterson: Won gold in the heavyweight division

Rick Sanders: Won silver in the bantamweight division

John Peterson: Won silver in the light-heavyweight division

Chris Taylor: Won bronze in the super heavyweight division

https://www.facebook.com/share/TWoaV8JDa1DMR91h/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Edited by Rassling

Hard to compare the medal haul in 72 & 92 with ten weight classes v. today's 6.

Also to note that with one Russian per weight, they won 8 medals with 5 golds in 72 and 7 medals with 3 golds in 92.

Add another 5 or so Soviet wrestlers to those earlier tournaments and force everyone into 6 weight classes.  

Definitely remembered the "72 Munich Olympics on ABC... I was totally blown away w/ the amount of US bouts they showed. Other than the USSR, the US FS team had a whale of a tournament!. Flo has archived a lot of those bouts that ABC broadcast back then.

Also remembered the '92 Barcelona Olympics as well... watched on cable thru the Olympic Triplecast (Red/white/ blue channels... purchase was required, of course.) I was able to watch all of the GR as well as the FS... had them recorded on VHS. Alas, they're gone.

Good memories!

D3

• Bob 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I'd argue that the 2020 (aka 2021) men's freestyle Olympic team was our best in modern memory. 

Six weights, five medals:  Gold (Taylor, Gable), Silver (Snyder), Bronze (Gilman, Dake).  That's a medal in over 83% the weights, and that's with Russia completing (under the Olympic banner) along with all the former Soviet republics.

That's a far higher percentage than the '72 team (83% vs 60%), and even a higher percentage of gold medals (33% vs 30%), and that's with only a single Soviet bloc competitor.  The '92 team had the same percentages as the '72 team, so the same comments apply. 

And remember we didn't even qualify 65kg in '20, so of the actual competitors, we were 5-for-5 in medals.

• Bob 4

Sick Soviet team as well.

Most decorated freestyle wrestler in history at +100 kg capping his career off with a 7 year undefeated streak. 

Absolute monster Ivan Yarygin who pinned everyone in his gold run that tournament . 

Levan was in the beginning of his 5 year unbeaten run. 

Big Dagestan contingent as well. 

• Bob 1

On 8/14/2024 at 7:37 AM, Rassling said:

Flashback to a time when we were the dominators! Anyone watch this live back then?

The 1972 US men's freestyle wrestling Olympic team included the following wrestlers who won medals:

BRING BACK UNLIMITED HEAVYWEIGHT!!! 

On 8/14/2024 at 7:37 AM, Rassling said:

That was the summer after my freshman year in HS - I just started wrestling as a freshman - and I watched every match at my aunts house up the street,  She had a big color TV vs the small b&w that we had.  I will never forget it.

• Fire 1

9 minutes ago, lu1979 said:

That was the summer after my freshman year in HS - I just started wrestling as a freshman - and I watched every match at my aunts house up the street,  She had a big color TV vs the small b&w that we had.  I will never forget it.

Great history LU, thanks for sharing sir!