Olympic Wrestling ... Day 6

11 minutes ago, denger said:

He's gonna be embarrassed when he realizes that it was indeed the right time in the review. 

*edit: I don't know what he thought his corner was challenging, but they definitely weren't looking at something from the first period. 

If you look at the video playing on the screen above during the review, which is the same video the officials watch (per the rules), it was of Dake being driven out of bounds while he had a chest wrap and his knees were close to the match.  That sequence ended with the Serb scoring a point for Dake’s “step out.”.  Dake was nit challenging that scoring sequence nor could at that point since it occured much earlier in the match.  He was arguing the what occured just before the Serb got the Takedown from Dale holding onto a body wrap on the mat too long.  Dake was arguing to the refs it was the wrong scoring sequence they were watching but they kept reviewing it.  I don’t see how Dake wins a challenge on the right footage but I’d be mad too if they weren’t even looking at the right thing. Even their explanation of after watching the video was confusing since they referenced that earlier scoring footage first before ended by confirming the Serb’s takedown points too for the sequence the video screen shows they weren’t reviewing.  

Just now, MadMardigain said:

If you look at the video playing on the screen above during the review, which is the same video the officials watch (per the rules), it was of Dake being driven out of bounds while he had a chest wrap and his knees were close to the match.  That sequence ended with the Serb scoring a point for Dake’s “step out.”.  Dake was nit challenging that scoring sequence nor could at that point since it occured much earlier in the match.  He was arguing the what occured just before the Serb got the Takedown from Dale holding onto a body wrap on the mat too long.  Dake was arguing to the refs it was the wrong scoring sequence they were watching but they kept reviewing it.  I don’t see how Dake wins a challenge on the right footage but I’d be mad too if they weren’t even looking at the right thing. Even their explanation of after watching the video was confusing since they referenced that earlier scoring footage first before ended by confirming the Serb’s takedown points too for the sequence the video screen shows they weren’t reviewing.  

Yeah but his coach WAS trying to challenge that sequence. Dake just didn’t know what his coach was challenging 

1 minute ago, pawrestler said:

Takatani awesome sportsmanship though

What do you think he was gonna do?

Punch him out?

(That would get the crowd, buzzin', eh? 😏 )

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 minutes ago, larry_bird_enthusiast said:

Zhamalov’s camp must have paid the refs this Olympics.  Between that insane “fleeing” challenge he won in his match vs Valiev that overturned the entire match and then that pin that was nowhere close to flat.  Obviously still impressive tho.  Congrats to him.

Apparently you’re not  that impressed? How about Zhamalov having to wrestle 5 matches to win? 

IMG_0308.webp

9 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Yeah but his coach WAS trying to challenge that sequence. Dake just didn’t know what his coach was challenging 

That could be true but by the rules now the wrestler has to confirm the challenge. So you would think the wrestler would get the reviewed sequence they were asking for.  Again I don’t see a way Dake wins a challenge on what happened on that TD, not even sure what’s worth challenging cause he wasn’t close to a turn.   But the rule seem to indicate it’s in the wrestlers hands to agree to a challenge so Dake should still get the one he was asking for.  Language barriers may add some confusion but you have to imagine one of the officials would understand he was challenging the later sequence. 

Edited by MadMardigain

5 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

This. The coaches were challenging the step out point because the point originally never went on the board until later after the sequence. I’m not sure if 2 of the refs even put up a point for it. I believe they even started wrestling again before it was on the board. Then the coaches challenge, but action had restarted and Dake was taken down soon after the challenge. Coaches were upset that the point went on the board, but also said that the challenge wasn’t acknowledged and subsequently Dake gave up another 2. So Dake is yelling about the TD as a challenge and the coaches are yelling about the step out and sequence after that. 

Akgul gets his third Olympic medal... and taking his shoes off!

Also Lazarev is taking his shoes off as well... double retirement!

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

37 minutes ago, HumblestMumble said:

They rejected Tsabolovs challenge and screwed him lol…

that was absolutely not two for Kyle 

@Eagle26

Was a little confused myself on Dakes tkd.  This is what i found but it takes a law degree to litigate Freestyle rules

"In all cases, in standing position, if one of the attacking wrestler’s foot is in the protection area, which is outside the passivity zone, the referee will not interrupt the bout and will wait for action to be completed."

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Bob 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

@Eagle26

Was a little confused myself on Dakes tkd.  This is what i found but it takes a law degree to litigate Freestyle rules

"In all cases, in standing position, if one of the attacking wrestler’s foot is in the protection area, which is outside the passivity zone, the referee will not interrupt the bout and will wait for action to be completed."

They didn’t disallow the challenge, the coaches cancelled it. The rule is actually straight forward. If the wrestler who initiates the action steps out in the process of a TD, then it is still a TD. Dake had a TD and the challenge would’ve failed and put Dake back in the lead. It was a good call not to. 

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Sorry but I feel like Lazarev should’ve let Akgul have his moment

I think he did. he took his shoes off much faster, said a prayer, stood up and backed up a few steps giving Akgul center mat. At the end of the day its Lazarev's moment too; he shouldn't have to sacrifice his oppertunity to end his career on his own terms 

Edited by Ferrignohh
  • Bob 4
  • Fire 2