Proposed Sport Roster Limits- starting 2025-26 Season

FD1W

36 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

A lot of $$$ going to athletes. For the experts, seems that money is coming partly from boosters thru NIL, partly from revenue generated i.e. TV contracts and stadium revenue, but perhaps also partly from higher tuitions? Is the general student population at least partly financing these payments? 

The payments that @MPhillips and I posted above are for past offenses. Think of them as back pay to the athletes. Many athletes who are no longer even in college will be receiving these payments. That money is coming from skimming off of the Men's basketball tournament and will be paid out over the ten years following approval of the settlement. So when I said wrestlers may get $50 that is actually $5 per year for ten years.

The ~$20+ million per year to pay then current athletes is a different story. This will need to come out of each school's budget. The schools can raise money from boosters, investors, or any number of sources, including increased tuition. PSU seems to be getting a jump start on this. I got an email last week inviting me to a webinar with Cael Sanderson to discuss the importance of fundraising.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

27 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The payments that @MPhillips and I posted above are for past offenses. Think of them as back pay to the athletes. Many athletes who are no longer even in college will be receiving these payments. That money is coming from skimming off of the Men's basketball tournament and will be paid out over the ten years following approval of the settlement. So when I said wrestlers may get $50 that is actually $5 per year for ten years.

The ~$20+ million per year to pay then current athletes is a different story. This will need to come out of each school's budget. The schools can raise money from boosters, investors, or any number of sources, including increased tuition. PSU seems to be getting a jump start on this. I got an email last week inviting me to a webinar with Cael Sanderson to discuss the importance of fundraising.

While I hate quoting myself it is too late to edit, so this will have to do.

I think I mis-stated something above. I think it is just the NCAA's portion of the back pay that will come from skimming off the basketball tournament. The school's portion will have to come from their budgets.

But one other provision got me thinking. Part of the settlement is designed to effectively eliminate pay for play. Since the pay for play payments are by far the biggest portion of NIL as it is currently practices, that would have the practical effect of putting a cap on NIL payments which would free up NIL money that would have otherwise been used to pay millions for a QB. In that scenario it may be better for boosters to use their NIL money to help offset the extra $20+ million the schools need.

Would the RTC model technically get kids around roster limits? Why not bring kids in as an RTC member if a program hits their cap or a recruit wants to greyshirt. Probably won't happen, but I'm just thinking it could be a loophole.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Would the RTC model technically get kids around roster limits? Why not bring kids in as an RTC member if a program hits their cap or a recruit wants to greyshirt. Probably won't happen, but I'm just thinking it could be a loophole.

It probably is a loop hole to go to the RTC, however I am not sure how many kids who could be on an official roster somewhere else are going to tread water at an RTC in hopes of being 3rd string at a weight rather than 4th string.  Keep in mind we are talking about 120ish kids who were beyond the roster limit for P5 schools last year. Those 120 that are being left are are being left off for a reason...maybe time to go to a mid/low level D1 team or go D2/NAIA? 

• Bob 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

On 7/30/2024 at 11:15 AM, juniorvarsity said:

Iowa built this giant wrestling room for 30 athletes. Probably could have saved some money if they knew this ahead of time.

Actually it would be 60 including the women. I am not sure what their practices look like, but if they wanted to run simultaneous practices or have conditioning/strength sessions together this gives a lot of room to do that. 

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I hear ya. Seems wrong on the surface for an Engineer undergrad to be financing athletes, but nobody asked for my $0.02.

43 minutes ago, Idaho said:

Actually it would be 60 including the women. I am not sure what their practices look like, but if they wanted to run simultaneous practices or have conditioning/strength sessions together this gives a lot of room to do that. 

So I am not at all sure of this, but I thought I heard Spencer Lee say in some short video that the ladies got the old wrestling room. 

2 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

So I am not at all sure of this, but I thought I heard Spencer Lee say in some short video that the ladies got the old wrestling room. 

Doesn't matter what Spencer F Lee says unless Jimmy posts it.  🙄

4 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Could be... if so , then yes, that's a big room for 30 wrestlers. 

Good to see that there will be a lot more opportunities for all the equestrian athletes that.

Does that mean every school with an equestrian team has to have 50 scholarships or no NIL money for that sport?

image.png.02edb635843e4984cc6cc87e0ed1e906.png

53 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Good to see that there will be a lot more opportunities for all the equestrian athletes that.

Does that mean every school with an equestrian team has to have 50 scholarships or no NIL money for that sport?

image.png.02edb635843e4984cc6cc87e0ed1e906.png

It means any Power 5 school with a women's equestrian team will have a 50 roster limit and can give any number of scholarships up to 50. And any non-Power 5 school gets to decide if they stay on the old model and do not share revenues, or follow the new Power 5 model.

NIL is not impacted by the scholarship limit / roster change decisions.

One other thing to keep in mind with all of this is that if a school decides to increase scholarships, up to $2.5 million of the increase can be counted toward revenue share. When calculating the increase, the school does it from the old cap, rather than how many they actually used to give out.

For example, if a wrestling school used to give out 8.9 scholarships and now will decide to give out 15, the increase will be 5.1 scholarships (15-9.9) for revenue sharing offset purposes, rather than 6.1 (15-8.9).

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It means any Power 5 school with a women's equestrian team will have a 50 roster limit and can give any number of scholarships up to 50. And any non-Power 5 school gets to decide if they stay on the old model and do not share revenues, or follow the new Power 5 model.

NIL is not impacted by the scholarship limit / roster change decisions.

Shouldn't the horses get some NIL?