Budapest Ranking Series Event

5 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

I thought Trent did ok with the handifght honestly every area of the match seemed competitive outside of on the edge and whizzer seatbelt where he got absolutely worked.

He got absolutely worked because he couldn't get to an underhook.  Aside for the first 30 seconds, Yazdani owned every bit of that match.  Hidlay is strong as an Ox and as powerful as a tornado... he had nothing for Yazdani.

And it's wild that Hidlay actually didn't look that bad, considering.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He got absolutely worked because he couldn't get to an underhook.  Aside for the first 30 seconds, Yazdani owned every bit of that match.  Hidlay is strong as an Ox and as powerful as a tornado... he had nothing for Yazdani.

Something tells me that is what every match at Iranian nationals looks like,  Two guys digging for underhooks.  The guy who gets them wins the match.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)

the good news is per Aaron "some club coach gave him his underhood, god gave me mine"

Aaron talking about Yaz last year.

Edited by Truzzcat
  • Bob 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Know where to watch the match. Has me worried for Brooks against Yaz. Not many (if any) people work Trent like that. 

Just now, pokemonster said:

Know where to watch the match. Has me worried for Brooks against Yaz. Not many (if any) people work Trent like that. 

See below...

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

This statement is wild and inaccurate as all hell.

Neither wild nor inaccurate.  He was knocked out of the winner's bracket at NCAAs 4 years in a row by Brooks, twice in the semis and twice in the finals.  No question he'd be a multi-time NCAA champion if Brooks didn't exist.  He also was a whisker away from U23 gold (3-3 in the finals) and beat Starocci at OTTs, but he's rarely included in the conversation about top guys at his weight, free or folk.

Yazdani is the man but it was still competitive.  No easy points, and I can count on three fingers the number of times Yaz has been taken down in the last five years by someone other than Taylor.  Truzz is right, he got exposed in the whizzer seatbelt position, but that's within the realm of adjustment.

1 minute ago, BAC said:

Neither wild nor inaccurate.  He was knocked out of the winner's bracket at NCAAs 4 years in a row by Brooks, twice in the semis and twice in the finals.  No question he'd be a multi-time NCAA champion if Brooks didn't exist.  He also was a whisker away from U23 gold (3-3 in the finals) and beat Starocci at OTTs, but he's rarely included in the conversation about top guys at his weight, free or folk.

Yazdani is the man but it was still competitive.  No easy points, and I can count on three fingers the number of times Yaz has been taken down in the last five years by someone other than Taylor.  Truzz is right, he got exposed in the whizzer seatbelt position, but that's within the realm of adjustment.

Again, inaccurate.

You're the one underestimating him.  There are many, many other wrestlers that people underestimated more.  So much more.

And he was not competitive.  Yazdani was never in any sort of trouble in any way, shape, or form.  The match wasn't competitive.  Dream on, if you like - you're still wrong... and it isn't even a matter of opinion.  You're just wrong.

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I am not so sure that Brooks is going to have anything for Yazdani.

We haven't seen anybody do what he just did to Hidlay on the senior level, domestically, ever.

Brooks is more dynamic with his leg attacks than Hidlay and also more stingy defensively. I expect him to give Yazdani all he can handle.

PNWfan

3 minutes ago, PNWfan said:

Brooks is more dynamic with his leg attacks than Hidlay and also more stingy defensively. I expect him to give Yazdani all he can handle.

After watching the match, I agree. Hidlay seemed one dimensional and just got worked by Yazdani where he wrestles best. I wonder if Brooks will even try the underhook game with him. 

Posted (edited)

takeaways from the ranking series

Do not let Higuchi get on top of you.

Harutyunyan wrestled up and beat a 2 time u23 medalist and world bronze from 2023 at 61kg who was a guy he previously got teched by a few years ago (Higuchi and Spencer are the only two big hitters we have seen down to weight Uguev and Stevan both also competed at 61 this year could be an edge for Spencer).

Kiyooka proved the win over Otoguro was not a fluke he beat Mus and the Iranian he beat in the finals blanked Haji 6-0 everyone in this field did take at least one loss though which seems rather on brand for the state of 65kg.

Zhamolov should be the guy for Uzbekistan he beat the guy who beat bekzod not a guy I would be happy about being on Kyles side.

Trent looked great Yaz looked as good as ever

Nobody really competing that feels like a threat to the big dogs at 97 not much to take away (as of now Sadulaev,Snyder and Taz are on the same side if seeds hold...)

Mason looked awesome and while I never want someone to get injured, seeing the state geno was In gives me even more confidence in Masons draw at the olympics if seeds hold.

Edited by Truzzcat
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Brooks worked Hidlay just the same, as he had zero offense for Brooks. Not in the same league. Taylor would have teched him as well, and you saw what Brooks did with Taylor-who owned Yaz. 

Why would anyone think Brooks stands no chance against Yaz? He is a different kind of beast with an entirely more elite arsenal than Hidlay. 

1 hour ago, Daddy Dave said:

Brooks worked Hidlay just the same, as he had zero offense for Brooks. Not in the same league. Taylor would have teched him as well, and you saw what Brooks did with Taylor-who owned Yaz. 

Why would anyone think Brooks stands no chance against Yaz? He is a different kind of beast with an entirely more elite arsenal than Hidlay. 

I definitely would say Aaron has a chance but wrestling math does not really work in the way that Aaron beat David (who had been out of competition for a year so its hard to gauge where hes at) and thus will beat yaz because David did. Zahid was a singlet grab away from likely beating Aaron and he lost to a Ukrainian this year who got teched by dauletbekov who Yaz just teched. I could choose to infer from that result that Dauletbekov would tech Aaron but I do not think thats the case. Its just one guy with about as proven of a track record as there is vs a guy with two big senior level wins.

Folks conveniently forgetting how Brooks was gifted his match against Valencia, I see.

• Bob 1

Folks conveniently forgetting how Brooks was gifted his match against Valencia, I see.

Valencia was warned once, then dinged a point for the second singlet pull. Plenty of people have posted screenshots.

He also received a free one-point swing from the official interfering in a clear 2pt TD.

f4b7d0f762d055c264e7fd97c527fd17.jpg

9a6ada7d9b158e3b7d9dc649dbf1f9a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

it pains me to watch ANY wrestler misuse whizzers like trent did today. 
it cost him.

I was surprised by that. I thought he had some good chances to score and not only failed to convert but got scored on.

at least 3 times...

Yazdani is great at a lot of things but I didn’t think he would win every single 50/50 position against a relatively high level American.

I’m not convinced Brooks beats Yazdani (strong Yazdani lean until I see it) but I think Brooks scores on some of those positions and it’s a much closer match.

• Bob 2

Yes, "styles make fights" and no guarantees. Brooks was never really in danger against the defending Olympic champ and looked to be somewhat coasting. Yaz is not known for his tank and wasn't tested by Hidlays no offense. If they match up,his tank will definitely be tested by a much better offensive-and even physically stronger Brooks. My money is on the 4x phenom.

There's something to always winning.

Yes, "styles make fights" and no guarantees. Brooks was never really in danger against the defending Olympic champ and looked to be somewhat coasting. Yaz is not known for his tank and wasn't tested by Hidlays no offense. If they match up,his tank will definitely be tested by a much better offensive-and even physically stronger Brooks. My money is on the 4x phenom.
There's something to always winning.

Huh? Yaz’s tank is amazing. He melts just about everyone. Keep in mind he’s also coming back from shoulder surgery so likely isn’t at full fitness.

He only looks second class when he wrestles Taylor.

• Bob 2

Whatever Iran is doing with Greco they're doing it right. I don't think it's just luck that the depth they have is two different world champions at heavyweight and a third guy who just beat Riza. There's been a power vacuum in Greco since the collapse of the soviet union and no one has stepped up to take its place ... yet. 

Riza's aura is gone. He can still medal I think but several guys can stalemate him,  a few could beat him. From 2011 to 2021 it was only Lopez stopping him, but the losses are just piling on since Tokyo.  Semenov by throw and pin, Amin by pushouts, Kend by pin. His endurance is looking bad, he was tired out by both Amin and Semonov of all people (who looks like aged 20 years and put on 40 lbs of fat sine 2021). The gold medal's Riza has won have been ref heavy. 

Coon loses. This is a low ceiling US team. 

everyone. Keep in mind he’s also coming back from shoulder surgery so likelyeveryone isn’t at full fitness.

He only looks second class when he wrestles Taylor.

And what class did Taylor look against  Brooks?

• Clown 1