The Google algorithm

3 hours ago, Offthemat said:

It’s called “the power of suggestion.”  Look it up.

Still didn't answer my question. Why does the tech world lean to one side except free speech Musk?

21 hours ago, Danny Deck said:

I'm fascinated by the idea that someone looking for information about the assassination attempt would give up if they couldn't use the auto fill feature. I would guess they hard code against auto fill suggestions for assassination and any current political figure to avoid the bad optics of it popping up before an attempt. I got no auto fill suggestion for an assassination or kidnapping attempt on Nancy or Paul Pelosi. If you torture the spelling, you can get one for kidnapping attempt on "nany pelosi's' husband."

If you go through the onerous work of typing out "assassination attempt on trump" for yourself, you get plenty of relevant results. 

This makes me think of the meme I saw the other day, "You know the search is good if the top result is a help hotline."

Did you read this?

Or this?

What a joke. At first I wasn't even going to look at this thread because I don't care too much but I clicked on it out of curiosity and, sure enough, it's another right-wing conspiracy theory. Everybody is ganging up on the conservatives and everybody has a bias against the conservatives. Blah, blah, blah. Same 'old wussy victim mentality gets recycled over and over but in different contexts. 

28 minutes ago, red viking said:

it's another right-wing conspiracy theory. 

Robert Epstein is not a conservative.  Robert uses strong evidence to show anti-conservative bias.

Robert votes for Democrats.

This quote is appropriate.

“I have become a darling of conservatives, which is driving me crazy,” Epstein said. “But they love me because I am saying things they want to hear. People I am closer to politically don’t want to hear what I have to say.”

Edited by jross
  • Bob 3

25 minutes ago, red viking said:

What a joke. At first I wasn't even going to look at this thread because I don't care too much but I clicked on it out of curiosity and, sure enough, it's another right-wing conspiracy theory. Everybody is ganging up on the conservatives and everybody has a bias against the conservatives. Blah, blah, blah. Same 'old wussy victim mentality gets recycled over and over but in different contexts. 

What makes this a conspiracy theory??  Google actually came out and admitted they needed to update their algorithm for predictive search recommendations.  And pretty sure "right-wing" people were not the only ones googling Trump Assassination attempt.  So yes, your post is a joke.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Bigbrog said:

What makes this a conspiracy theory??  Google actually came out and admitted they needed to update their algorithm for predictive search recommendations.  And pretty sure "right-wing" people were not the only ones googling Trump Assassination attempt.  So yes, your post is a joke.

It's where right wingers have no idea what they're talking about and just fill in all their knowledge gaps with the craziest idea possible that also fits their righte-wing agenda. 

Just now, red viking said:

It's where right wingers have no idea what they're talking about and just fill in all their knowledge gaps with the craziest idea possible that also fits their righte-wing agenda. 

So people (on all sides of the political spectrum) came out and complained that google wasn't filling in with predictive search options for Trump assassination attempt, google said yeah, our bad we have an outdated algorithm, and your take away is above??  Literally makes me laugh out loud.  There wasn't a conspiracy theory, nor knowledge gaps being filled with the craziest idea possible...get a grip.

6 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

So people (on all sides of the political spectrum) came out and complained that google wasn't filling in with predictive search options for Trump assassination attempt, google said yeah, our bad we have an outdated algorithm, and your take away is above??  Literally makes me laugh out loud.  There wasn't a conspiracy theory, nor knowledge gaps being filled with the craziest idea possible...get a grip.

Conspiracy is that Google, along with everybody else, has a leftist/communist agenda, including all the media outlets that are proclaiming this left-wing media bias. Makes me laugh by rear off. 

19 minutes ago, red viking said:

sounds like that 'working explanation' we heard about from RL

12 minutes ago, red viking said:

Conspiracy is that Google, along with everybody else, has a leftist/communist agenda, including all the media outlets that are proclaiming this left-wing media bias. Makes me laugh by rear off. 

That isn't a conspiracy...they all have literally admitted it...LOL  

20 hours ago, BobDole said:

But why would this be? This should be the question that needs answered.

Two observable reasons:

1. The unconscious nature of the environment

• Google, etc. is headquartered in very liberal cities.
  • Google engineers claim they are fired for their conservative views, are uncomfortable expressing their views, and conservatives don't want to live in San Fran or work for google. 
  • Liberal values are opposite from conservative values concerning government intervention, free speech, etc.
  • Liberal ethics result in shadow bans, censorship, and word exclusions that match their values (that conflict with conservative values)

2. Intentional Power 

• Controlling information gives power by shaping public opinion, setting the agenda, framing narratives, and suppressing dissent.
  • Brain 1

1 hour ago, red viking said:

Not ALL.  See https://www.allsides.com/media-bias

X is notably better than Twitter.

9 of 10 famous new sites... lean left

• Yahoo (left)
  • Fox News (right)
  • CNBC (center left)
  • CBS (left)
  • CNN (left)
  • NBC News (left)
  • NY Times (left)
  • MSN (left)
  • Forbes (center left)
  • Washington Post (left)

Google Is Left Biased

• Bob 1

Meanwhile, you are looking at only one type of news source. If you go to talk radio, social media and other internet sites (that aren't official "news" stations), they are dominated by the whacky right. 

• Haha 1

So RVs beef is with unofficial news sources that lean right, so he says.   But he has no problem with official news sources that lean left and he knows most people go to to get news.   He really wants it all. 

mspart

• Bob 2

1 hour ago, red viking said:

Meanwhile, you are looking at only one type of news source. If you go to talk radio, social media and other internet sites (that aren't official "news" stations), they are dominated by the whacky right. 

Talk radio is conservative where I live, and I am not aware of talk radio nation wide.

Social Media?  You say too much about your awareness.

Top social media apps and platforms for 2024
and their bias based on 2020 political donations (per open secrets)

1. Facebook — 3.05 billion MAUs (left)
2. WhatsApp — 2.78 billion MAUs (left)
3. YouTube — 2.49 billion MAUs (left)
4. Instagram — 2.04 billion MAUs (left)
5. WeChat (Chinese Tencent) — 1.32 billion MAUs (left)
6. TikTok (Chinese ByteDance) — 1.22 billion MAUs (left)
7. Telegram (Russia) — 800 million MAUs (unknown)
8. Snapchat — 750 million MAUs (left)
9. Kuaishou (Chinese) — 673 million MAUs (unknown)
10. Sina Weibo (Chinese)  — 599 million MAUs (unknown)
11. X (formerly Twitter) — 550 million MAUs (still left)
12. Pinterest — 465 million MAUs (left)
13. Reddit — 430 million MAUs (left)
14. LinkedIn — 424 million MAUs (left)
15. Quora — 300 million MAUs (unknown but California based)
16. Discord — 154 million MAUs (left)
17. Twitch — 140 million MAUs (left)
18. Tumblr — 135 million MAUs (left)
19. Threads by Instagram — 100 million (left)

Edit: left off QQ and QZone by Tencent (China), BlueSky, and Mastodon.  All sites pulled from https://buffer.com/library/social-media-sites/ and cross checked against open secrets.

Edited by jross
  • Bob 1

jross is unburdened by what has been.  He is doing what needs to be done, everyday, everyday doing the things that need to be done so we can come to a consensus of the correct path of doing those things that really, when you think about it, need to be done unburdened by what has been.  

mspart

• Bob 2
  • Haha 1
  • Stalling 1