looking for pics of HS coach from 1960 Oklahoma Team

My HS coach is now retired and in poor health.  He made a huge positive impact on my life, and the lives of many kids.  A few of his former students are trying to put together a scrapbook for him, and I am hoping someone here can help me.

Hi name is Larry Gregory and he wrestled for 3 years at 147 at Oklahoma. He was a member of the Oklahoma 1960 national championship team.  I know he wrestled in both the 1960 and 1958 national championship tournament, and a ton of dual meets.  I have searched for pics online, but cannot find any.

I would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of someone at Oklahoma or a Sooner superfan that might have some pics from that era.  I know that this is a long-shot, but I am hopeful that someone here might be able to help.

You can post here or reach me directly at ncrockclimb@yahoo.com.  Thanks for your help!

• Bob 2

I had a similar coach that I stayed in touch with almost until he died.   I went to visit him and his wife told me he had passed away a few months earlier.   He was a great friend and mentor. 

mspart

• Bob 2

23 hours ago, ncrockclimb said:

My HS coach is now retired and in poor health.  He made a huge positive impact on my life, and the lives of many kids.  A few of his former students are trying to put together a scrapbook for him, and I am hoping someone here can help me.

Hi name is Larry Gregory and he wrestled for 3 years at 147 at Oklahoma. He was a member of the Oklahoma 1960 national championship team.  I know he wrestled in both the 1960 and 1958 national championship tournament, and a ton of dual meets.  I have searched for pics online, but cannot find any.

I would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the direction of someone at Oklahoma or a Sooner superfan that might have some pics from that era.  I know that this is a long-shot, but I am hopeful that someone here might be able to help.

You can post here or reach me directly at ncrockclimb@yahoo.com.  Thanks for your help!

Try inquiring with one of the wrestling halls of fame. I think there is one in Stillwater and one up in Iowa somewhere. 

• Bob 1

I'd start here

National Wrestling Hall of Fame

405 West Hall of Fame Avenue
Stillwater, OK 74075
Phone: (405) 377-5243
Email: info@nwhof.org

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

I have found Jack Carnefix, Operations Manager at the National Wrestling Hall of Fame to be very helpful. jcarnefix@nwhof.org

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

44 minutes ago, manatree said:

Contact the OU Libraries. Most universities will have their old yearbooks.

OU has a library?  😉

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1
  • Duck 1

Posted (edited)

You could also try the yearbook and newspaper route.

I assume Larry appears in the OU yearbook wrestling team & class photos. Hard to tell if he's in the action shots, but there were only 10-14 guys on the roster so your odds aren't too bad. 

1958 OU yearbook wrestling p.168-9

1959 OU yearbook wrestling p.340-1 and Varsity Club p.386-7

The OK Historical Society has the 1958-60 yearbooks and might be able to help you pull photos. I imagine there's more wrestling content in the '60 yearbook since OU won the title.

A photo of Larry from his high school days might appear in the Feb 12 1956 issue of The Daily Oklahoman. Your local library may be able to track it down on microfilm.

Good luck. Larry sounded like a great coach for all of his former students to come together like this.

Edited by CHROMEBIRD
links
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

You could also try the yearbook and newspaper route.

I assume Larry appears in the OU yearbook wrestling team & class photos. Hard to tell if he's in the action shots, but there were only 10-14 guys on the roster so your odds aren't too bad. 

1958 OU yearbook wrestling p.168-9

1959 OU yearbook wrestling p.340-1 and Varsity Club p.386-7

The OK Historical Society has the 1958-60 yearbooks and might be able to help you pull photos. I imagine there's more wrestling content in the '60 yearbook since OU won the title.

A photo of Larry from his high school days might appear in the Feb 12 1956 issue of The Daily Oklahoman. Your local library may be able to track it down on microfilm.

Good luck. Larry sounded like a great coach for all of his former students to come together like this.

That is amazingly helpful!  Thank you!!

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 1:25 PM, ionel said:

OU has a library?  😉

Jesus H Christ. Of course OU has a library, you nincompoop. 

They need somewhere to put their magazines. 

Modern Drunkard Magazine by Digital Publisher - Issuu

Susan Friedland | WESLEY DENNIS ART? Yes please. While researching my  Marguerite Henry biography, Marguerite, Misty and Me, I interviewed a  collector of We... | Instagram

December 1971, The Game Cock Magazine - Ruby Lane

Edited by NM1965
  • Ionel 1

On 5/19/2024 at 12:39 PM, manatree said:

Contact the OU Libraries. Most universities will have their old yearbooks.

OU's libraries are filled with dusty copies of STAG and Gallery magazines.