Big coaching hires in the wings?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NM1965 said:

I read somewhere a few years back that there were over 3,000 Texas schools with wrestling. That sounds preposterous to me. Oklahoma is historically a top 10 wrestling state and only has 4 classes at 32 teams (max) per class. On the other hand I don't think the article specified high schools, so maybe a lot of those are elementary schools with beginner wrestling. Heck, maybe they counted schools that have wrestling during PE classes. 

The only places in Texas that I know of with wrestling are in the panhandle area or in the northern parts of Texas (closest to Oklahoma). OSU has gotten some wrestlers from the Texas panhandle. I can't remember his name off the top of my head but one was a legendary college HWT. The only other Texas wrestler I can think of is Bo Nickal, but I don't think he's actually a Texan, just a guy who transplanted there in HS.  

Aj Ferrari and company.

(and Tervel Dlagnev, very good college heavyweight but wouldn't say a "legend."  Great international career and doing well coaching)

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

texas as in the univ. at austin, 

is NEVER getting wrestling.

no matter how successful any other school in texas is.

success means nothing to these people... 

the most successful program of any kind in Nebraska... was cut after winning yet again...

• Bob 1

7 hours ago, peanut said:

With regard to boys HS wrestling in 2023, California had the most participants and Texas had the third most.

With regard to girls HS wrestling in 2023, California had the most participants and Texas had the second most.

Based on participation numbers alone, it seems like those two states are deserving of better college opportunities. Just my opinion.

I absolutely agree they are deserving of more college wrestling opportunities.  I just strongly disagree that a big college is Texas would win much.  

On 5/13/2024 at 9:26 AM, peanut said:

A few big names: Spencer Lee, JB, Snyder, Dake. Potential big names: AB, Starocci, Vito.

I'm willing to throw some lesser names that hold some weight still: RBY, Sebastian Rivera, Zahid Valencia.

What really interests me though are names that would be absolute left field coaching choices that would probably result in less than stellar results: Suriano and Gable are the two names that immediately come to mind when thinking about this.

Here is a list of available coaches that Willie put on X:

Chris Perry, Coleman, Mike Evans, Mark Hall, Tyler Berger, and Hayden Hidlay. 

I am not sure if his list was created before Mark took the Dir of Wrestling Operations at OU. 

Is Mike Evans out of a job or just available? 

59 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Here is a list of available coaches that Willie put on X:

Chris Perry, Coleman, Mike Evans, Mark Hall, Tyler Berger, and Hayden Hidlay. 

I am not sure if his list was created before Mark took the Dir of Wrestling Operations at OU. 

Is Mike Evans out of a job or just available? 

Hey! Sounds like a brother in law in need of a job!  Maybe Thomas can put in the good word?

• Bob 1