NIL State

8 minutes ago, wrestlingshoe said:

We would only really know his true allegiance if he was not paid as much as he is rumored to have been paid.  The question is,  If he does have a true allegiance, why did it take so much for him to stay/return for 5th year? It they did offer 1M, would he have returned for half that? I am all for paying college athletes, but 1M (even $500,000) seems excessive. It would be nice if there were some guidelines.  Soon PSU will have 10 athletes who are millionaires. I would find it easier to find allegiance if I was given 1M in college. 

My question is where's the value.  Where is the million dollar commercial etc that is capitalizing on his image & likeness value?  Its easy to see with Bryce Young's Fansville commercial or Caitlin Clark's State Farm ads.  Perhaps even AJ Ferrari as Jimmy and fly are willing to pay big bucks to use his image/likeness.  But Starocci ... where is it? 

• Duck 1

4 minutes ago, ionel said:

My question is where's the value.  Where is the million dollar commercial etc that is capitalizing on his image & likeness value?  Its easy to see with Bryce Young's Fansville commercial or Caitlin Clark's State Farm ads.  Perhaps even AJ Ferrari as Jimmy and fly are willing to pay big bucks to use his image/likeness.  But Starocci ... where is it? 

That market value thing was always an unenforceable, silly addition to the rule. Certainly the NCAA is in no position to determine, and has no expertise in determining, an athlete's market value for anything.

And because it was a bunch of unenforceable hand-waving from the jump, there has been no attempt at enforcement. Lord knows the NCAA is terrified of enforcing that element because they know it puts them right back in the courtroom where they are 0 fer the past couple of years.

Also note that there is no prohibition on coaches getting paid more than their market value.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

That market value thing was always an unenforceable, silly addition to the rule. Certainly the NCAA is in no position to determine, and has no expertise in determining, an athlete's market value for anything.

And because it was a bunch of unenforceable hand-waving from the jump, there has been no attempt at enforcement. Lord knows the NCAA is terrified of enforcing that element because they know it puts them right back in the courtroom where they are 0 fer the past couple of years.

Also note that there is no prohibition on coaches getting paid more than their market value.

So its not NIL its simply P4P (pay for play)? 

Just now, ionel said:

Where do I sign up?  I'm still competing and happy to get more than I'm worth.   🙂

Therein lies the rub.

Only one person needs to think Starocci is worth it for him to get paid. And no one thinks you and I are worth a damn.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

Therein lies the rub.

Only one person needs to think Starocci is worth it for him to get paid. And no one thinks you and I are worth a damn.

Maybe we just haven't asked the right person.  🙅‍♀️  That "no one" thing kind've hurts, you are suggesting even good hearted  fly wouldn't value our image.  😞

5 hours ago, peanut said:

It is indeed possible for an athlete to have the largest NIL deal and to turn down competing deals that are smaller but large.

The athlete could also understand himself to have turned down the smaller offers out of loyalty. For instance, the athlete could turn down a slightly smaller competing offer out of hand because he cannot imagine leaving his current team.

Now, is there any point to dissecting claims made by athletes on social media? The answer is no.

I’d argue it’s literally what social media is for. 

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

Says the guy slinging insults on an internet discussion board in a thread about a social media post.  The lack of self-awareness is staggering.  

You seem to believe that I give a rats ass what you seem to think.  I am at B1Gs or NCAAs every year.  As I have been since 1985.  I am very easy to find.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, MPhillips said:

I appreciate you both...for what you are.🏴‍☠️

I would pay them NIL.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

8 hours ago, nhs67 said:

You seem to believe that I give a rats ass what you seem to think.  I am at B1Gs or NCAAs every year.  As I have been since 1985.  I am very easy to find.

I have been alive since 1985

On 5/10/2024 at 2:48 PM, BuckyBadger said:

My favorite was at NCAAs in Tulsa when he talked about meeting Trump.

“I like watching his interviews because he’s a big personality. He has a set of big balls. I like how his mind works. Pretty big being with him.”

Good thing for Starocci that wrestling doesn't require much in the way of brains.