Best Collegiate Credentialed Team?

5 Hodge Trophy winners:

• Lee
  • Retherford
  • Dake
  • Brooks
  • Parris

* 2 of them won it twice, Retherford and Lee

Snyder wasn't awarded a Hodge, but did win a Senior Freestyle World Championship while in college

Other than Parris, the other 5 OTT winners have at least 3 NCAA titles each, with Dake and Brooks 4 timers.

Retherford and Brooks college teams won 7 NCAA Championships, Snyder's 1 and Lee's 1.

** Interesting item is that in three of the OTT finals, the wrestlers competing were alumni of the same universities: SLee/Gilman, Retherford/NLee and Brooks/Taylor.

• Bob 1

6 hours ago, AZ_wrestling said:

18 individual national championships between the six of them. That has to be a record. 

18 is a maximum for the team.  Lee and Retherford still need to qualify. Could be 12, 15, or 18 at the games.  The 1984 team had 19 individual NCAA titles.

Bobby Weaver (0)

Joe Gonzales (3)

Barry Davis (3)

Randy Lewis (2)

Andy Rein (1)

Dave Schultz (1)

Mark Schultz (3)

Ed Banach (3)

Lou Banach (2)

Bruce Baumgartner (1)

Edited by fishbane

8 hours ago, OMW said:

* Interesting item is that in three of the OTT finals, the wrestlers competing were alumni of the same universities: SLee/Gilman, Retherford/NLee and Brooks/Taylor.

A 4th final, 74kg, featured RTC teammates with Nolf and Dake wrestling each other.

1 minute ago, fishbane said:

A 4th final, 74kg, featured RTC teammates with Nolf and Dake wrestling each other.

Watching that final and realizing there were 7 ncaa titles on that mat was just preposterous.

15 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Watching that final and realizing there were 7 ncaa titles on that mat was just preposterous.

Not the only time that happened in the tournament.  Brooks wrestled Dieringer in the semis.  Brooks has 4 titles and Ringer 3.  More Hodges on the mat(2 vs 1) in that one too.  NCAA records Kyle Dake 137-4, Alex Dieringer 133-4, Jason Nolf 117-3, Aaron Brooks 89-3.

• Bob 1

6 minutes ago, fishbane said:

Not the only time that happened in the tournament.  Brooks wrestled Dieringer in the semis.  Brooks has 4 titles and Ringer 3.  More Hodges on the mat(2 vs 1) in that one too.  NCAA records Kyle Dake 137-4, Alex Dieringer 133-4, Jason Nolf 117-3, Aaron Brooks 89-3.

Stupid question, but what happened to IMAR? I haven't seen him around in a long, long time, is he still wrestling?

3 hours ago, fishbane said:

18 is a maximum for the team.  Lee and Retherford still need to qualify. Could be 12, 15, or 18 at the games.  The 1984 team had 19 individual NCAA titles.

Bobby Weaver (0)

Joe Gonzales (3)

Barry Davis (3)

Randy Lewis (2)

Andy Rein (1)

Dave Schultz (1)

Mark Schultz (3)

Ed Banach (3)

Lou Banach (2)

Bruce Baumgartner (1)

That would be 17 NCAA D1 titles - Gonzales may have had 2 more D2 titles but he only had one on the D1 level.

If SL & ZR qualify their weights as I think they will the 18 D1 titles will be an amazing record especially as it is from 6 wrestlers - average of 3 each.

2 hours ago, Le duke said:

He got really, really fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I heard it on this board, but I believe one of his shoulders gave out prior to his jumping weight classes

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

That would be 17 NCAA D1 titles - Gonzales may have had 2 more D2 titles but he only had one on the D1 level.

If SL & ZR qualify their weights as I think they will the 18 D1 titles will be an amazing record especially as it is from 6 wrestlers - average of 3 each.

Yes, the most NCAA titles per wrestler and possibly the most D1 NCAA titles.  The 1984 team also had 4 titles on the greco side with Blatnik a 2x D2 champ and Famiano a 2x D3 champ.  I think the 2024 greco team will only have 1 NCAA champ, Joe Rau with a D3 title.