2024 OTT Day 1 Session 1 official thread

5 hours ago, oldschool said:

BB mckenna match is a perfect example of where folkstyle gets something right. The dominance points of holding a guy on his back for nearfall and the fact that mckenna was very nearly pinned make that match result leave a sour taste in my mouth.

Don't the FS rules have an extra point for holding exposure for a count?

I definitely remember that rule. Has that been eliminated?

1 minute ago, Jim L said:

Who knows anymore, freestyle rules changed repeatedly over and over and over again.

1 minute ago, Jim L said:

not that I know of. in this specific case, BB held mckenna for I think like 15 seconds. was very close to being a fall and a lot of refs prolly would've called it there, but no additional points were given aside from the initial exposure. not for the TD or the extended back points

peacock's choice of what to show on their main / overview channel has been really frustrating.

most viewers aren't going to be on trackwrestling to follow upcoming mat assignments and be switching channels back & forth to follow the marquee MFS matches.

at least this session there hasn't been random audio & video issues.

43 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Who knows anymore, freestyle rules changed repeatedly over and over and over again.

International rule changes haven't changed much in over a decade. College/HS rules change more frequently. 

• Bob 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

1 hour ago, Jason Bryant said:

International rule changes haven't changed much in over a decade. College/HS rules change more frequently. 

Maybe... But the rules changed almost every Olympic cycle from 1988 to 2016 and those rule changes were universal to the style. 1 5 min period, must score 3 points or the match goes to OT, must win 2 out of 3 periods, ball grab, clinch, push out rule, shot clock, referees decision, etc etc. when freestyle rules changed its like the entire style gets completely overhauled. College/HS changes haven't changed the foundation of the style where as Freestyle changes absolutely have.

But you're right.. the past decade of freestyle has been pretty consistent.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY

13 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

Maybe... But the rules changed almost every Olympic cycle from 1988 to 2016 and those rule changes were universal to the style. 1 5 min period, must score 3 points or the match goes to OT, must win 2 out of 3 periods, ball grab, clinch, push out rule, shot clock, referees decision, etc etc. when freestyle rules changed its like the entire style gets completely overhauled. College/HS changes haven't changed the foundation of the style where as Freestyle changes absolutely have.

But you're right.. the past decade of freestyle has been pretty consistent.

The danger rule in Folk has had a major impact on matches. Maybe bigger than in anything in FS ignoring the Ball grab 2 of 3 periods era

12 minutes ago, Jim L said:

The danger rule in Folk has had a major impact on matches. Maybe bigger than in anything in FS ignoring the Ball grab 2 of 3 periods era

Yes but it didn't change the spirit of folkstyle. The freestyle rule changes over the past 30 years have made the style unrecognizable from one cycle to another. And no you can't ignore the ball grab 2 out of 3 thing. That's the entire focus of the style as a whole.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY

Yes, I can ignore it. The FS I wrestled 30+ years ago looks pretty similar to what I see today. They had a bad set of rules and thankfully dumped then and came back to the best rule set we have ever had

20 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Yes, I can ignore it. The FS I wrestled 30+ years ago looks pretty similar to what I see today. They had a bad set of rules and thankfully dumped then and came back to the best rule set we have ever had

You're lying because the freestyle I wrestled 30 years ago changed entirely every 5 years. You cannot ignore the 3 points or ot, you cannot ignore referees decision, you cannot ignore 2 out of 3 periods, you cannot ignore the clinch, you cannot ignore the shot clock, you cannot ignore 1 point takedowns, you cannot ignore 1 5 minute period. You cannot ignore the blood rag in your singlet. You cannot ignore criteria. You saying it's the same today means you didn't actually wrestle freestyle 30 years ago.

Edited by BIGTENFANBOY
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Not actually lying and I can ignore rule changes that are no longer in place. 

You can't ignore rule changes that took place when the whole point of the discussion was the fact that there were crazy and stupid confusing rule changes during the past 30 years!

10 hours ago, Jim L said:

Not actually lying and I can ignore rule changes that are no longer in place. 

9 hours ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

You can't ignore rule changes that took place when the whole point of the discussion was the fact that there were crazy and stupid confusing rule changes during the past 30 years!

OKAY, okay... it's been approximately 9-10 hrs ago since you two have been at it.

Since this convo has stopped since then, have both of you agree to disagree?

(Or are we waiting on the police report of them finding two bodies in the alley w/ both clutching each others throats?)

Well... 

maxresdefault.jpg

... we're waiting!

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

43 minutes ago, D3 for LU said:

OKAY, okay... it's been approximately 9-10 hrs ago since you two have been at it.

(Or are we waiting on the police report of them finding two bodies in the alley w/ both clutching each others throats?)

Well... 

maxresdefault.jpg

... we're waiting!

D3

No. I don't agree to disagree. When the point of the discussion is about how freestyle rules have had overhauling changes where the sport itself look completely different in each iteration you can't ignore those rule changes. Jim L was 100% wrong.

bigtenfanboi sez: No. I don't agree to disagree. When the point of the discussion is about how freestyle rules have had overhauling changes where the sport itself look completely different in each iteration you can't ignore those rule changes. Jim L was 100% wrong.

Well... I guess you two DIDN'T choke each other out in the alleyway.

that...

is...

comforting to hear. 😏

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

Well... 

maxresdefault.jpg

... we're waiting!

D3

No I will never give an inch on an Internet argument on an obscure topic. This is so important to me that I will continue to repeat the same arguments until the end of time😬

Okaaaayyy... so when I see you two brawlin' on the same topic thread, I'll head for the next vacant topic.

thumbs-up-gif-9.gif

D3