The insight and wisdom of Pyles on display…

this is a nitpick, but why do I see 4 different people on my X feed cracking certain news before Flo gets up a post that I have to click on to find out the same thing....

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

24 minutes ago, Threadkilla said:

CP does Ok when they actually talk about wrestling.   JD on the other hand is hard to listen to.  

i like the "Kovac"(?) guy best.

• Fire 1

FRL on Monday - Pyles provides more thinking saying he is hearing OK State is considering options.  Ben seems to be on board with doing some deeper thinking on the next HC.  Not Coleman next topic.

Anyone feel Pyles is simply making this all up?  Or have any info suggesting that OK State is actually considering anyone beyond Coleman?

31 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

FRL on Monday - Pyles provides more thinking saying he is hearing OK State is considering options.  Ben seems to be on board with doing some deeper thinking on the next HC.  Not Coleman next topic.

Anyone feel Pyles is simply making this all up?  Or have any info suggesting that OK State is actually considering anyone beyond Coleman?

I think they are probably taking interviews, but I still feel like its Coleman next topic. It's just the first time a position has been up for one of the historical great programs, so I think they are just filling airtime a bit. I would assume some pretty big-name coaches have put in for it so they are likely looking at their options I just can't see Coleman leaving UNC to be an assistant.

13 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

He's not making things up he's saying absolutely nothing. Obviously the University is going to do the diligence its an important for the school.

On 4/14/2024 at 10:04 AM, BlueWolverine said:

All of this is so stupid. I agree with VakAttack about this ridiculous obsession with Pyles, fueled by idiots like Mineo as if he owns some moral high ground. I think Pyles does good work, he's an excellent match commentator, and from people who know and work with him, I've heard he's a pretty decent guy. Not sure the same can be said for the folks who bad mouth him almost daily (ie Mineo, Kania).

Right with you.  I still haven't found my answer about why everyone seems to pile on this poor guy (see what I did there?).  He seems like a nice family man who just really loves discussing wrestling.  I don't watch the solo videos because I would rather wait for the podcast to get a few different opinions, but his job is to create wrestling content for his company.  Those videos are a quick and easy way to do it and get engagement.  The wrestling community has a tendency to eat their own and we are far too small of a sport to put down anyone who in good faith is trying to grow it. 

• Brain 1
  • Fire 1

"Look good, feel good, wrestle good." - J Jaggers

On 4/15/2024 at 12:57 PM, Threadkilla said:

CP does Ok when they actually talk about wrestling.   JD on the other hand is hard to listen to.  

This is me.

Also his articles are can be difficult to read at times due to a high level of spelling and grammatical errors.  Add in that he uses polarizing terms that are very rarely true (lock, always, certain etc.) as well as he misremembers results that are very easy to verify against (or for).

I absolutely love the guys style, though, and the fact that he is still quite young gives me hope that he will be fine.

• Bob 3
  • Brain 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

22 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Legally the school can't say "Coleman next topic." so Pyle must also play along.  It is cross office politics is all.

What they're saying insofar as if a DT type guy were to throw his hat in the ring is also absolutely true.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Pyles:

"we need more weight classes."

"we should get rid of 57kg."

USA coming off the team championships with 1st place in 22 & 23

"Our guys are so malnourished that they cant compete"

"Wrestlers dont have tension towards their opponents like women's basketball players do"

I miss my boy Cletus

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2024 at 12:38 PM, The_KC_Godfather said:

Have you seen CP’s latest video where he predicts the next HC of OSU? Genius content.

Joking aside, he suggests OSU should reach out to Pat Pop, Pendleton, Branch, etc. What?! Why would anybody think they’d even consider someone besides Coleman?? Clearly there was an agreement in place, that he had to be comfortable with, for him to give up his job at NC and move his family. After 11 minutes of rambling, he finally “predicts” that Coleman will be the guy.

Then, he goes on to suggest that Coleman will need to backfill the role he just had (associate HC) and suggests he go after Neil Erisman. First, that role was created for Coleman…not really a reason to backfill it. Second, Erisman is killing it at Little Rock…why would he want to leave a head coaching position for an Associate HC position at a school that now has a long term answer at HC? To be a career assistant and not be a head coach??

I’m usually impartial to CP’s videos, but this one made me laugh and really stood out as a “no sh*t, Sherlock” video. 

@The_KC_Godfather - still feeling this way?  On latest FRL, Pyles is doubling down that they are really considering other candidates.  The length of time it is taking to announce a new HC is seen as evidence.  Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

@The_KC_Godfather - still feeling this way?  On latest FRL, Pyles is doubling down that they are really considering other candidates.  The length of time it is taking to announce a new HC is seen as evidence.  Thoughts?

what specifically about what @The_KC_Godfather said are you taking issue with?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Dark Energy said:

It sounded more like the fact that Oklahoma State is taking so long gives them reason to think it might not be Coleman next topic. Based on what I'm seeing on Twitter... They're at least talking to people. 

1 hour ago, Hammerlock3 said:

i feel like @darkenergy is trying to vindicate pyles for making a long boring video framing the obvious as his informed opinon.

The op quite literally frames the idea of Okie State talking to anybody as ridiculous.

7 hours ago, VakAttack said:

The op quite literally frames the idea of Okie State talking to anybody as ridiculous.

yeah but at the time Pyles said it was going to be scott and was wrong. The fact that he padded out the video like he always does with lame talk half this forum could have done off the cuff doesn't mean he had inside knowledge or made a smart prediction...

• Brain 1

Posted (edited)

@Hammerlock3 - 

Here is a quote from the OP.  See below.  I am curious if the poster is reconsidering that perhaps they actually ARE considering someone besides Coleman.  

Joking aside, he suggests OSU should reach out to Pat Pop, Pendleton, Branch, etc. What?! Why would anybody think they’d even consider someone besides Coleman?? 

Edited by Dark Energy
  • Bob 1

17 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

yeah but at the time Pyles said it was going to be scott and was wrong. The fact that he padded out the video like he always does with lame talk half this forum could have done off the cuff doesn't mean he had inside knowledge or made a smart prediction...

Wait, Pyles predicted that they were going to talk to others.  The post heaped ridicule on that idea.  

Seems like you are against giving Pyles any credit for some reason.  Go for it.

5 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

Wait, Pyles predicted that they were going to talk to others.  The post heaped ridicule on that idea.  

Seems like you are against giving Pyles any credit for some reason.  Go for it.

I see what you mean, and i'd even say fair enough to the idea I'm overly cynical about pyles, because as I said I think he thought it was a slam dunk like everyone else but he had to pad out his video somehow. So I'm giving him a test he can't really pass.

• Haha 1

sense I think I've distilled the thought I'll just put it here.

Pyles annoys me because for someone in his position he should be at least one of three things and probably two:

1) A person of encyclopedic knowledge of high school, college or senior level wrestling. He doesn't have any of that. He has a good general knowledge base, but compared to say Willie's knowledge of highschool wrestling, or Jason Bryant's general knowledge he's far behind.

2) Someone with interesting and occasionally valuable insights into the sport itself. His commentary is incredibly banal, he's not very articulate, and he relies on existing narratives when he should be focusing on the narratives that arise within the flow of individual matches. The last one is why I like DC and JB, they're pointing out aspects of tactics and gamesmanship.

3) Someone with inside knowledge. This one gets very annoying because he is constantly referring to athletes by their first names as if they're cronies, yet news never seems to break on Flo first. It gives the vibe that if he knew something interesting he wouldn't ever report it. 

I wish I could couch it in a way that's not essentially an attack on someone for doing their job, but we're a niche group of people who love the sport, and this is the place to voice such concerns.

• Bob 1

On 5/3/2024 at 6:50 PM, Dark Energy said:

To be honest, I didn’t think there would be a chance of a DT or JB being available when I made that post. I would consider those two to be the exception. And to be fair, I don’t think many people thought that Taylor would not be an Olympian right now, at least when this post was made.

i never really troll but can admit that the post I made was a bit trolly. And the reason I made it was because I was frustrated at the clickbait. As someone said, CP loves to talk about wrestling and is considered an expert, so when he posts a video indicating that he has some inside news, when he actually doesn’t, was very frustrating, and what I call clickbait.

if we look at the details at the time, Coleman Scott (an Oly bronze medalist) uprooted his family and left a D1 head coaching job (at a program he’s put a lot into building) to take an assistant job. OSU had to have given a pretty strong indication to him that he’d be the next HC, otherwise, he’s much more of a gambler than I’ll ever be. To suggest, at the time, that anyone else (who was available) would be considered seemed asinine, at least to me. At least, if OSU was honest and kept whatever word they gave to Scott. Had DT or JB been available at the time of this video, I wouldn’t have been so bold.

So, a combo of frustration with the clickbait and the odds at the time, I think what I said was fair and reasonable. Would it be a sh***y thing for OSU to hire DT if they promised Coleman something? Yes. Should they pass up an opportunity with DT? No. Again, this assumes they promised Scott something. They’ll have to throw some money at him.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, lisa morales said:

A few weeks back I was called a troll for suggesting Coleman Scott was an uninspiring choice.

go over the none wrestling topics page and you'll forget about being called a troll real quick.

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lisa morales said:

Point being, clearly Oklahoma State admin. agrees with me.

i wouldn't put a lot of energy into vindicating your avatar.

• Bob 1