David Carr's new role

4 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Might be comparable if they left water bottles filled with vodka around.

But we all know it wasn’t actually Derek’s, and probably wasn’t even in an unmarked water bottle.

omniscience   🤔

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Might be comparable if they left water bottles filled with vodka around.

But we all know it wasn’t actually Derek’s, and probably wasn’t even in an unmarked water bottle.

You should ask @Wrestleknownothing if he's ever left a glass filled with bourbon lying around.  🙂

Calling it "corrupt" (for an org that's adjacent to a college program) to hire a parent of an athlete/recruit is dependent on the qualifications of said parent.  A wrestling program at any level hiring Nate Carr for a leadership position is pretty much beyond reproach, as he might be the 2nd best wrestler in ISU program history.  Derek Fix, on the other hand, was a 3x state champ in HS and Cadet World Champ.  Went to OSU and injuries derailed his wrestling career, but became a top HS coach for decades.  So it's not like he's some rando that they hired with zero qualifications, either.  Another reality in the recruiting game is the changing landscape of NIL deals and work from home/remote jobs.  For example, in the last century it was considered shady if a family of a top recruit moved into a community (HS or College) and there would be questions of how this family got jobs and got ties to the community so quickly.  Now, depending on the careers of the family's breadwinner, there are families who can pack up and follow their children all over to be closer to their sports endeavors.

5 minutes ago, Konquest said:

Calling it "corrupt" (for an org that's adjacent to a college program) to hire a parent of an athlete/recruit is dependent on the qualifications of said parent.  A wrestling program at any level hiring Nate Carr for a leadership position is pretty much beyond reproach, as he might be the 2nd best wrestler in ISU program history.  Derek Fix, on the other hand, was a 3x state champ in HS and Cadet World Champ.  Went to OSU and injuries derailed his wrestling career, but became a top HS coach for decades.  So it's not like he's some rando that they hired with zero qualifications, either.  Another reality in the recruiting game is the changing landscape of NIL deals and work from home/remote jobs.  For example, in the last century it was considered shady if a family of a top recruit moved into a community (HS or College) and there would be questions of how this family got jobs and got ties to the community so quickly.  Now, depending on the careers of the family's breadwinner, there are families who can pack up and follow their children all over to be closer to their sports endeavors.

I personally think Nate Carr is a great guy and prob a good hire but what were his coaching qualifications/experience prior?  

32 minutes ago, ionel said:

I personally think Nate Carr is a great guy and prob a good hire but what were his coaching qualifications/experience prior?  

I'm not aware of any college level experience, beyond his stellar athletic career of course.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

10 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I have not said either of those things. I have said Mark Hall is a bad example of corruption in recruiting. I am also saying any claims that Mark Hall's situation was similar to David Carr's is ludicrous.

As to verbals, they have no meaning. The NCAA is very clear on this and coaches perfectly understand this. Until that NLI is signed it means nothing. And coaches prefer it this way because it gives them great flexibility. This is not a system designed by students, for students. So anyone complaining about changing a verbal commitment doesn't have much of a complaint.

My general takeaway from you in this topic is that you might be more pragmatic in your thinking on this subject, and less inclined to criticism...at least than I am.

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Pretty sure he wasn't hired by the university.  Universities are equal opportunity employees.  And what "kids?" 

Kids?   With 8th grade “grey shirts” being normal and condoned they are hardly kids this day and age.  

49 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

I'm not aware of any college level experience, beyond his stellar athletic career of course.

He coached at West Virginia and was named National Assistant Coach of the Year by the NWCA. Did the ministry thing for a while, then ran 2 wrestling clubs, then at Perry a few years when his kid was there. Fold in his NCAA tittles at ISU, and world and Olympic medals, and it’s hard to say he isn’t exceptionally qualified.

That aside, hard to say his hiring was a recruiting inducement when one kid (Nate Jr) had already graduated ISU and David committed a year before.

I’’m all for combating recruiting abuses but it would be good to be a bit more judicious in allegations of corruption. ISU was lucky to get Nate Sr on board irrespective of his sons, and the odds of Nate Jr or David going anywhere but ISU if Nate Sr didn’t get hired later at the RTC are zero.

Edited by BAC
  • Fire 1

Maybe Hall is geographically challenged.

""I don't have any specifics quite yet, but it's for sure staying in the Midwest," he said. "I want to stay in the Big Ten. It's the toughest wrestling conference, so if I can go to the Big Ten that'll help me in the long run."

This was a Flo vid quote used by Andy Hamilton.

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/wrestling/2015/06/18/wrestling-recruit-mark-hall-interest-in-iowa-hawkeyes/28950311/

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BAC said:

He coached at West Virginia and was named National Assistant Coach of the Year by the NWCA. Did the ministry thing for a while, then ran 2 wrestling clubs, then at Perry a few years when his kid was there. Fold in his NCAA tittles at ISU, and world and Olympic medals, and it’s hard to say he isn’t exceptionally qualified.

That aside, hard to say his hiring was a recruiting inducement when one kid (Nate Jr) had already graduated ISU and David committed a year before. 

I’m all for combating recruiting abuses but it would be good to be a bit more judicious in allegations of corruption. The odds of Nate Jr or David going anywhere but ISU if Nate Sr didn’t get hired later at the RTC are zero.

the timing of the hire doesn't have to be concurrent with when David committed to be part of a corrupt deal. I'm fine with someone saying that as convenient as the situation was there is no smoking gun, I'd push back on the idea that its in poor taste to point out how convenient it was.

2 hours ago, Caveira said:

Kids?   With 8th grade “grey shirts” being normal and condoned they are hardly kids this day and age.  

I was referring to actual kids living in the Fix house that could have accidentally taken some Ostarine

2 hours ago, Hammerlock3 said:

the timing of the hire doesn't have to be concurrent with when David committed to be part of a corrupt deal. I'm fine with someone saying that as convenient as the situation was there is no smoking gun, I'd push back on the idea that its in poor taste to point out how convenient it was.

What is your theory, exactly?

That Nate Carr Sr, ISU alum and rabid fan, whose eldest son Nate Jr. went to, wrestled for and graduated from ISU, and who had another son, David, who also committed to wrestle for ISU... BUT, before David committed, Nate Sr. DEMANDED that ISU give him a job one year later, otherwise Nate Sr. would force David to go somewhere else?

Think about what you are saying for a moment.  It isn't the lack of a smoking gun that makes any suggestion of corruption wildly implausible.

I don't even buy that it was in "convenient" in the way you're claiming, as though it were some sort of crazy coincidence.  If anything, considering how accomplished Nate Sr. was as one of ISU's best graduates, and given that his sons went there too, it would be surprising if Nate Sr. didn't get involved in their wrestling program in some way.  I mean, Nate Jr. has a head coaching job now, and he has only a fraction of the accomplishments and experience that his dad has. You don't think ISU wanted Nate Sr?

If there was an inducement, I frankly think it is more likely it worked the other way:  Let's try extra hard to bring on Nate Jr's kids so that we have a shot at getting Nate Sr. involved in our program.  I doubt even that is true, since any decent program would be thrilled to have his kids on their team (especially David), but my point is that its just a really poor example of potential corruption or "convenient" coincidence.  

Edited by BAC

12 minutes ago, BAC said:

What is your theory, exactly?

That Nate Carr Sr, ISU alum and rabid fan, whose eldest son Nate Jr. went to, wrestled for and graduated from ISU, had another son, David, who also committed to wrestle for ISU... BUT, before David committed, Nate Sr. DEMANDED that ISU give him a job one year later, otherwise David would go somewhere else?

Dude, pause and think about what you are saying for a moment.

If anything, considering how incredibly accomplished Nate Sr. was as one of ISU's best graduates, and given that his sons went there too, it would be surprising if Nate Sr. didn't get involved in their wrestling program in some way.  I mean, Nate Jr. has a head coaching job now, and he has only a fraction of the accomplishments and experience that his dad has.

If there was an inducement, I frankly think it is more likely it worked the other way:  Let's try extra hard to bring on Nate Jr's kids so that we have a shot at getting Nate Sr. involved in our program.  

If my suspicion isn't obvious i doubt i'll be able to explain it in a way you could suddenly understand.

54 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I was referring to actual kids living in the Fix house that could have accidentally taken some Ostarine

Some sarcasm in there.   I’m not a fan of the fix / peds situation either.  Clearly all parties involved are making up stories / lying etc.   and you are right it’s not a good situation with young kids in the house.   They likely knew it was going on too. 

23 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

If my suspicion isn't obvious i doubt i'll be able to explain it in a way you could suddenly understand.

It’s definitely not obvious. And I share your doubt that you can explain it in an understandable or plausible way. So I think we agree? 🙂

1 minute ago, BAC said:

It’s definitely not obvious. And I share your doubt that you can explain it in an understandable or plausible way. So I think we agree? 🙂

Dresser enticed a big recruit by giving his father a job.

48 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I have not. Do tell.

Lets just say that if you tried it, you'd realize it is not necessarily a sin to leave an glass of bourbon on the table, unconsumed.

• Brain 1