Huge props to Kansas City for NCAAs

Great to hear that KCMO was so well received.  It gets a bad rap at times for it's murder and crime rates, but that's due to some specific parts of the metro.  Stay away from those and it's a great city. 

I think the NCAA took 21 years to bring natties back to KC because Kemper Arena and the surrounding wasteland in 2003 just sucked.  Hopefully they realize that the Power and Light district is tailor made for events like this and come back soon. 

• Bob 2

I really liked KC. The arena was amazing and the biggest floor space I have seen. The downtown is really nice and plenty of options to eat or stay. 

Here are some thoughts of the ones I was at
2024 Kansas City- Great, would love to go back
2023 Tulsa- Never again please
2022 Detroit- Solid, not much close by, but REALLY easy to drive in and out for each session. 
2021 St. Louis- I'm done with St. Louis, it was nice the first couple times, but the place has gone downhill over the past 15 years.
2019 Pittsburgh- Good, liked the downtown other than it was hilly
2018 Cleveland- Good, only complaint was the Fan Fest was about 18 miles away and it was blistering cold.
2017 St. Louis- See above
2015 St. Louis- See above
2014 Oklahoma City- Not bad, nothing great or particularly bad about it.
2013 Des Moines- Small arena, but great time. Easy to get in and out of.
2012 St. Louis- See above
2011 Philadelphia- It was good, had to drive in and out, which wasn't too bad. Hopefully the area around the stadium is better now.
2010 Omaha- Not bad, nothing great or particularly bad about it. 
2009 St. Louis- See above
2008 St. Louis- See above
2007 Detroit- It was a pain to drive in and out of

Knowing the venue, Power and Light District, and the vision that KC has to be a host destination for events, I was expecting to hear great reviews, but it's still tickles me to read these comments.  

Thank's for coming, and Ya'll come back now!

• Bob 2

4 hours ago, BobDole said:

I really liked KC. The arena was amazing and the biggest floor space I have seen. The downtown is really nice and plenty of options to eat or stay. 

Here are some thoughts of the ones I was at
2024 Kansas City- Great, would love to go back (agree 100%)
2023 Tulsa- Never again please (agree 100%.  Wish Big 12’s weren’t stuck there every year).
2022 Detroit- Solid, not much close by, but REALLY easy to drive in and out for each session. (Arena was great but no much else positive).
2021 St. Louis- I'm done with St. Louis, it was nice the first couple times, but the place has gone downhill over the past 15 years. (I am from MO & still agree 100%).
2019 Pittsburgh- Good, liked the downtown other than it was hilly (would like to go back)
2018 Cleveland- Good, only complaint was the Fan Fest was about 18 miles away and it was blistering cold.  (Cold, would rather go elsewhere).
2017 St. Louis- See above
2015 St. Louis- See above
2014 Oklahoma City- Not bad, nothing great or particularly bad about it. (Really enjoyed OKC)
2013 Des Moines- Small arena, but great time. Easy to get in and out of. (Arena was dark & small.  Don’t want to return there).
2012 St. Louis- See above
2011 Philadelphia- It was good, had to drive in and out, which wasn't too bad. Hopefully the area around the stadium is better now. (Hoping the same for ‘25
2010 Omaha- Not bad, nothing great or particularly bad about it. (Agree)
2009 St. Louis- See above
2008 St. Louis- See above
2007 Detroit- It was a pain to drive in and out of (the worst overall experience of the 21 I have attended).

I have attended ALL of these.  My comments in () next to Mr. Dole’s.

• Bob 1

58 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Knowing the venue, Power and Light District, and the vision that KC has to be a host destination for events, I was expecting to hear great reviews, but it's still tickles me to read these comments.  

Thank's for coming, and Ya'll come back now!

I'm absolutely floored that the arena doesn't have any sort of professional team! The only thing they seem to do is host and sell out Garth Brooks concerts. 

• Bob 1

Had pro basketball back in the day.  Guess KC is satisfied getting their BB fix 30 miles west in LoRents, Kans ass.  Would be perfect destination for the Big 12 Wrestling Tournament that is currently held in Tulsa.  More centrally located to Big 12 schools.  This is where the Big 12 BB tourney is held every year.  Hoping to see more D1 wrestling here in the future.

4 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Would be perfect destination for the Big 12 Wrestling Tournament that is currently held in Tulsa.  More centrally located to Big 12 schools.  

Its been there before, problem may be schedule and attendance numbers..  With expansion it might be a better location but gotta fill the seats.  

25 minutes ago, ionel said:

Its been there before, problem may be schedule and attendance numbers..  With expansion it might be a better location but gotta fill the seats.  

You sure? Watching B12s on TV, BOK Center looks pretty empty. 

10 minutes ago, Winners Circle said:

You sure? Watching B12s on TV, BOK Center looks pretty empty. 

Thats my point, you gotta fill the seats to get T-mobile Center KC.  They aren't doing that.  T-mobile may already have an event weekend of B12 that does fill the seats.   

• Bob 1

36 minutes ago, ionel said:

Yes, this to.  Columbia, Missouri would be more central, but then scheduling could be an issue there also.  Lodging, etc...  to be honest, some people that might have attended in Tulsa this year saved it for nats.  Only so much go, and dough!

5 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Yes, this to.  Columbia, Missouri would be more central, but then scheduling could be an issue there also.  Lodging, etc...  to be honest, some people that might have attended in Tulsa this year saved it for nats.  Only so much go, and dough!

I'd say Columbia not very central to B12 plus that's SEC territory.  Also better flights into KC.  Tulsa not as good as KC or OKC but certainly beats Columbia.  

Also you being a midwest man would think you'd want it in Utah.  😉

Edited by ionel

Well this is my 45th NCAA/39th in a row.  It was my idea by the way to stand those who have attended at least 20 NCAA's, etc., etc., along with Sandy Stevens.....I appreciate the fact that Jason B. and company brought back the original increments of 5 years instead 10 to sit attendees back down.  As far as KC and other cities/venues, this year we got bumped from 2 hotels at the last second, and we had reserved them last year.  Then we had a shuttle bus to and from the hotel/arena, but that was hit and miss...the bus driver was worried about her hours, and she shuttled every half hour which was a waste, but when you needed her after a session, forget it....had to get an Uber.  Then after the last session (session 6), we got screwed by a so called Lyft, Uber, Taxi driver.  His rig was legitimate, but I think he was working on his own.....over the phone he said "about $60, but when we got our crew in the vehicle (6 guys) he had it upped to around $80 which he said was gratuity and whatever.  We almost got out of the vehicle, but decided to take the ride.  The guy was speeding down every road, speeding through lights he should have stopped for etc.  At this rate, the guy will get in an accident/get ticketed and more.  We didn't say a word the whole way back to the hotel.  When we got there, we had nothing in the back end,  but he raised the rear door, so we couldn't get his license plate number.  The Arena itself was fine.

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Buddies and I got a 4 bedroom Air BnB … worked great.  $340 a person - each with own bedroom.  One had car - parking was simple near enough to arena … $12 all day.  Consider rental car next time.

Saw plans for KC to put in a baseball stadium just south of T-Mobile arena.  Quite the sports complex.

Glad to hear the basically unanimous agreement on KC … here and in other social media posts I am seeing.  NCAA - make it happen pls!!

Edited by Dark Energy

2 hours ago, ionel said:

I'd say Columbia not very central to B12 plus that's SEC territory.  Also better flights into KC.  Tulsa not as good as KC or OKC but certainly beats Columbia.  

Also you being a midwest man would think you'd want it in Utah.  😉

You make too much damn sense!  Guess it's Tulsa again.

I must be in the absolute minority because I hated the arena. The sight lines were horrible. Any time someone leaned slightly forward or was taller it blocked the view of mats. I've not had that issue with the other arenas. Everything else was great though. 

4 hours ago, cowcards said:

I must be in the absolute minority because I hated the arena. The sight lines were horrible. Any time someone leaned slightly forward or was taller it blocked the view of mats. I've not had that issue with the other arenas. Everything else was great though. 

I was up high towards the center and didn't have that issue unless someone was standing up.

On 3/26/2024 at 5:36 AM, BobDole said:

2021 St. Louis- I'm done with St. Louis, it was nice the first couple times, but the place has gone downhill over the past 15 years.

are you talking about crime/homeless people/etc?

15 minutes ago, Bardamu911 said:

are you talking about crime/homeless people/etc?

Yes and there are not good places to go eat downtown. My car got broken into at the 2021 NCAAs while sitting in a "monitored" lot. I hope that person had fun with the children's shirts and change they got. Probably a little bitter, but not going to shed a tear if I never go back there.

• Bob 2

12 hours ago, cowcards said:

Curious where were your seats? Our seats were lower and could easily see over the the row in front so no issues, but I did look around the arena and notice the corners had a concrete wall that I thought had to obstruct some views. 

18 hours ago, cowcards said:

Now that you mention it, we did have a big cluster of cables coming down from lighting to the floor in our view....a little annoying......sidenote, remember I wrestled Nate a couple of times....Fadz

cable carr.jpg

Edited by Fadzaev2

8 hours ago, BobDole said:

Yes and there are not good places to go eat downtown. My car got broken into at NCAAs while sitting in a "monitored" lot. I hope that person had fun with the children's shirts and change they got. Probably a little bitter, but not going to shed a tear if I never go back there.

s-l1200.webp

7 hours ago, Dogbone said:

Curious where were your seats? Our seats were lower and could easily see over the the row in front so no issues, but I did look around the arena and notice the corners had a concrete wall that I thought had to obstruct some views. 

I sat around the top sections. I'm sure the bottom didn't really have issues because they angles were less. I sat near the concrete wall once and it did obscure the view of one of the mats.

• Bob 1