Transfer Portal

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I need to know how you feel about John Stamos.

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

I think he's pretty cool and suave from when I was a wee lad, but I truly have no clue now.  I'll give him a 6.8 out of 10

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

Okay, for curiosity sake then, since Grad transfers are still tied to the same window, what does that mean for someone like Gable Steveson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not going to pretend to be an expert and admittedly this information might be outdated but I did find this:

https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions

image.png.6ba19c0833f36b88e038b5749ac93dd6.png

Also, I believe Minnesota can agree to waiver if they choose if an exception doesn't apply.   

12 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Am I the only one in the wrestling community reporting on these smaller profile transfers in a timely fashion?  It's not that hard to compare today's portal entry's with yesterday's, and yet...

Yes

• Bob 2

I am not going to pretend to be an expert and admittedly this information might be outdated but I did find this:
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions
image.png.6ba19c0833f36b88e038b5749ac93dd6.png
Also, I believe Minnesota can agree to waiver if they choose if an exception doesn't apply.   

This makes sense. I am curious though, to maintain eligibility after those two years, he had to have used two redshirts. Regular and Olympic. Does using those redshirts count as not competing? When a guy redshirts, do they have to redshirt tied to a specific team? Now I’m not even asking about Gable specifically, just in general. Being a compliance person for the NCAA would be a nightmare lol.

46 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

This makes sense. I am curious though, to maintain eligibility after those two years, he had to have used two redshirts. Regular and Olympic. Does using those redshirts count as not competing? When a guy redshirts, do they have to redshirt tied to a specific team? Now I’m not even asking about Gable specifically, just in general. Being a compliance person for the NCAA would be a nightmare lol.

It's a good question.  I don't know if competing during a red shirt year counts as a competition for the above exception but I know regular redshirts do not have to be tied to a specific team.  In general, you have 5 years to compete 4 years. 

If you haven't been on scholarship for 2 years (because you weren't in school) it makes sense you wouldn't be tied to your original institution.

The other question would be does Gable need to be on scholarship to compete and, if not, is that other loophole?  If he is going to get NIL, it could cover the cost of the scholarship, you would think the rules wouldn't prevent a "walk-on" from competing as strictly as scholarship athletes. And presumably he wasn't on scholarship at Minnesota the previous year (2 years?). 

18 hours ago, OMW said:

I almost read that as Joy Division (cue Ian Curtis or New Order).

I hope it is a good "Atmosphere" and there was no "Shadowplay" going on in the recruiting😉 (Sorry huge Joy Division fan)

• Bob 1
  • Fire 2

11 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

The NCAA rules are found in all kinds of nooks and crannies, so there's always room for question.

That said, everything I've seen refers to the eligibility of the athlete, without reference to the team.  Five years to compete four seasons is the rule.  The exceptions to the rule are greyshirt years, Olympic redshirt years, military service, religious missions, and however many hardship years the NCAA is willing to grant in the event of injury or (evidently) something out of the athlete's control.  And 2020-21, the COVID year that didn't count.  A couple of years ago on The Mat forum I posted that someone entering college in the right year could stretch a career out over 12 years, without military or religious service.  But transferring from one school to another doesn't stop the "five-year" clock.

11 hours ago, flyingcement said:

but you didn't finish the sentence.

"... putting toilet paper on all the trees, and spraypainting obscenities on faculties housing"

That’s all I heard about it

• Bob 1

Max Elton and Sam Ewing had previously been shown in Wrestlestat as having transferred to Lock Haven and Nebraska, respectively.  As of today, they are shown as back starting at Buffalo.  I wonder if Vinson was able to convince them to comeback before the ink dried on their transfer?  Or if it was just a hiccup in wrestlestat