2024 NCAA Wrestling Championships - Session 2

Just now, SocraTease said:

I was on ESPNU in the afternoon and ESPN in the evening but following particular matches (without commentary) on ESPN  +.   I stand by my comments, however.

Fair enough - I suppose we all look at it through our own window.  For me it was a welcome bit of fun to an otherwise beating of a workweek.  

• Bob 1

4 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

ESPN coverage is pretty poor in my estimation:

1.  WAY, WAY too many commercials (in the middle of matches or as matches are ready to commence)

2. They cut away from interesting matches or don't show key sequences because they are focused on fan and coach reactions or interviews

3. Too little insightful analysis about the matches (they substitute emotional responses)

4.  Too much talking about other unrelated topics

5. They need to find someone like David Taylor to provide technical insight. 

Grade D

Not harsh enough for me. In addition asking us to pay even more money for the 8 mat set up when we got it  for free last year changes the grade to F for me. 

• Fire 1

11 minutes ago, SocraTease said:

Get him off the mic.  He's terrible. And a bad distraction.  

I was pretty excited when I heard he was going to be doing it but man I’ve been let down. Doesn’t know the rules, messes up facts, and is generally all over the place. I had the matcast on my laptop and the main coverage on my tv and wish I had switched them. 

15 minutes ago, pawrestler said:

I was pretty excited when I heard he was going to be doing it but man I’ve been let down. Doesn’t know the rules, messes up facts, and is generally all over the place. I had the matcast on my laptop and the main coverage on my tv and wish I had switched them. 

The biggest problem with him is that he never even lets Rock Harrison talk. Rock of the better commentators that we have. 

• Fire 2

20 minutes ago, pawrestler said:

“I would literally do anything to grow the sport of wrestling.”

”Would you listen to DC talk?”

”No.”

• Haha 2

I would love to see a new rule next year:   

A three second count when wrestling from a knee or both knees and then a stalling call.   

Wrestling from the knees is itself essentially stalling.  Rarely is it ever justified.  It is extremely difficult to take someone down when they are wrestling from their knees.  

Edited by SocraTease
  • Bob 1
  • Brain 1

14 minutes ago, peanut said:

“I would literally do anything to grow the sport of wrestling.”

”Would you listen to DC talk?”

”No.”

Was he referring to tweets he was getting from Chael Sonnen (a guy I can't stand who loves to hear himself pontificate and brag and get nostalgic)?  

Edited by SocraTease

1 hour ago, SocraTease said:

A three second count when wrestling from a knee or both knees and then a stalling call.   

Wrestling from the knees is itself essentially stalling.  Rarely is it ever justified.  It is extremely difficult to take someone down when they are wrestling from their knees.  

I want to agree but I think we have a few too many rules already. 

Maybe wrestlers should finally try and make the flying squirrel viable

35 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

I want to agree but I think we have a few too many rules already. 

Maybe wrestlers should finally try and make the flying squirrel viable

A Taoist might agree with your first statement.  Rules are a sign that something has broken down.

As for the Flying Squirrel, maybe it should be a 5 point move.  Acrobatic and entertaining and rare.

image.jpeg.a79e2172c8550b77c814a91da4119300.jpeg

https://www.google.com/search?q=wrestling+flying+squirrel&source=lmns&tbm=vid&bih=631&biw=1440&prmd=ivnsmbtz&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiQvNrpkoeFAxXHPlkFHUvZB2QQ0pQJKAJ6BAgBEAY#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:c2337464,vid:61UGSbdDTwU,st:0

4 hours ago, Gus said:

Heindselman is universally disliked by every opponent he faces. To get a reaction out of Zach Elam takes a lot 

I saw that punk acting the heel after beating Doucet earlier this year. He's a fat slob, a mediocre wrestler, and a punk. I don't think he's making OU or Kish look all that great with his infantile behavior. 

• Bob 2

7 hours ago, pawrestler said:

first of all, you are not the target audience they're going after.  They tried something different to elevate the sport but its falling flat on its face. Lets face it, there is not much more to take from us - but yet "they" found a way just like they did by eliminating the big10 heavy weight match. Then they remove the former "free" NCAA multi mat setup which was packaged into many of our cable companies like Comcast where I'm already paying $260 a freakin month.. Add to that the issues noted by another poster and you can kiss the sport goodbye as we know it. Next year they will force feed womens wrestling side by side with mens while doubling up on even more commercials and idiotic meaningless interviews.

• Fire 1

9 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

DC is pushing being a full benjamin above his college weight class.  Any shade at Imar is the most ironic flavor of shade thrown at himself.  

As  former fat guy (who was 90+ lbs over his college weight), many of us have no problem joking on other fatties.  Not really irony, more of a fraternity.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Would this apply only to Ayala, or would Davis be included in the rule as well?

36 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Didn't he and the Focus family get into it in the handshake line?

I didn't see that if it happened. He's a punk and I wouldn't doubt it. 

46 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

As  former fat guy (who was 90+ lbs over his college weight), many of us have no problem joking on other fatties.  Not really irony, more of a fraternity.

congrats man that takes ALOT of discipline and determination to lose that amount of weight. 

• Bob 1

8 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Was he referring to tweets he was getting from Chael Sonnen (a guy I can't stand who loves to hear himself pontificate and brag and get nostalgic)?  

freestyle handles it quite well, they call you up pretty immediately or put you on the clock. I think you'd see guys game it if there was a clock they'd just go up to a quad pod then back down.

10 minutes ago, Rassling said:

congrats man that takes ALOT of discipline and determination to lose that amount of weight. 

It takes even more discipline to keep the weight off. 

• Bob 1