Another D1 program goes bust

Ken Chertow's late 90's VHS series had his personal highlights set to songs such as "Footloose", "Maniac", and "On the Dark Side". Watching him try to armspin a Russian while dancing to Footloose is better than most practices my fat, burnout of a coach could cobble together.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Ken Chertow was the first head coach Queens hired when they started the program. Let's just say he left about a month into his first season under mysterious circumstances.

He probably crashed the school's server blasting out the emails about the NEW summer camp location! 

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, TexRef said:

He probably crashed the school's server blasting out the emails about the NEW summer camp location! 

One year as I was at PIAAs, I heard an announcement about Chertow's Camps. Before the announcement was over, I got an email about the same! 🤦‍♂️

• Bob 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, forkemaz said:

The insane pettiness to say something like this. Sure he's in the .1% but he's acting like he's in .01% and he ain't. Lmao whatever. This board is wild.

I know people who have done more and rarely talk about themselves. Chertow makes it sound like he was the greatest ever and is continuously on the prowl to scam someone. 

1 hour ago, flyingcement said:

Very unfortunate.  Hopefully we can add Tarleton State to the mix and have it be sustainable.  

The demand for programs is there from a HS athletes perspective. I don’t get why we can’t get 100 D1 programs and instead we have to hope and pray our 76 aren’t cut. 

2 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

What a pathetically cowardice way to say they’re cutting a program lmfao. 

“Queens university announces athletic update lmfao” 

they need that enrollment money…. Good luck though. 

Could be worse…Lindenwood announced they had a “special announcement”…last time I heard that was May 1, 2011.

16 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

I know people who have done more and rarely talk about themselves. Chertow makes it sound like he was the greatest ever and is continuously on the prowl to scam someone. 

This post comes off better. Saying an Olympian and two time bronze medalist at ncaas is too big for his britches sounds ridiculous. Saying he's a braggart scam artist at least is specific.

13 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Very unfortunate.  Hopefully we can add Tarleton State to the mix and have it be sustainable.  

Do you think they will raise enough money to get it started past club status?

This is another case of hiring a coach who doesn't realize his first priority should be finding a way to be self sustaining financially. The cost of running a program is not small. When you include salaries, benefits, trainers/sports medicine, travel, scholarships, equipment and facilities, you are looking at 300-500K a year. Raising that kind of money for that kind of program is a real challenge, but you have club, camps, fund raisers etc. and should be able to put together a 5 year plan to make it happen. Until we become fully self funding, we will always be the first sport to get chopped.  

• Bob 2

24 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Hard to say. I know they had a quite lofty goal, and there is a page where you can donate, but it is not as easy to see how much fundraising progress has been made.  I might have just missed something obvious on the site. 

https://www.tsuwrestling.org/

I am not sure what the situation was with Leeth at Stanford, but going from Palo Alto, CA to Stephenville, TX has got to be a culture shock for a younger coach. 

• Bob 1

49 minutes ago, TexRef said:

I am not sure what the situation was with Leeth at Stanford, but going from Palo Alto, CA to Stephenville, TX has got to be a culture shock for a younger coach. 

They seem to be active as hell, two dedicated full time coaches. This is optimistic thinking but I think they get it done eventually. 

On 3/17/2024 at 11:34 AM, NM1965 said:

I think he holds himself about on par with Kolat, which is insane. 

I never wanted to do this but it's been long enough to share this with the wrestling community.  The true story of why Kolat left PSU is because living under the shadow of legendary greatest of all time Chertow was too much to bare

• Haha 3

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

4 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I don't know but he made multiple posters, videos, 8x11" autographed photos, and camp brochures of himself flexing on Barry!

A Commitment to Excellence, by Ken Chertow

when did this occur? I know OTT was mentioned but Chertow was on the Olympic team at 114 same year Davis was the guy at 125. 

2 minutes ago, 11986 said:

pretty sure Davis was on the team in both 84 and 88

Right- he didn't medal in 88 which is what I saw (it didn't mention 88 in the one list)

I'm guessing the pictured bout was in 92 when both tried out at 125.5

• Bob 1