Interesting info from the Big Finals

The great mistery for me from the tournaments was that Brands ran off the mat without doing the traditional post-match handshake with Brooks.  Why?  Forgot?  Didn't want to?  Embarassed?  Had a pressing engagement?  Wanted to comfort his wrestler right away?  Delegated to an assistant?  Does this happen often?  Curious if anyone else at the tournament noticed this.

1 hour ago, swoopdown said:

The great mistery for me from the tournaments was that Brands ran off the mat without doing the traditional post-match handshake with Brooks.  Why?  Forgot?  Didn't want to?  Embarassed?  Had a pressing engagement?  Wanted to comfort his wrestler right away?  Delegated to an assistant?  Does this happen often?  Curious if anyone else at the tournament noticed this.

Nit picking. 

On 3/12/2024 at 10:28 PM, buckshot said:

I think what PSU does at 133 will be very telling. Nagao was supposed to be an incoming stud and just hasn't been able to put it together. I still feel like it wouldn't be a shock to see him finish as high as 3rd but I could also see him struggle to make the podium.

If he doesn't get it done in KC does Davis bump so LL can go next year? 

Davis is wayyyy too underdeveloped to hang at 133 imo

I wonder how many people says the same thing about him this season at 125.

He’s now a B1G champ and the #1 seed at NCAAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 1
  • Stalling 1

1 hour ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Good point, but Davis is 14 and still growing so who knows. Idk what kind of expectations ppl had for Nagao. His offense looks much better this year but before he transferred he was the double boots and across the throat defense guy, and that didn't tell us much about his ceiling.

2 hours ago, BarSeries said:

Next year it will be cool to see a 15 year old Davis against 30 year old Fix at 133. Fix still has like 3 more years eligibility, right?

No he is working toward tenure afterwhich he will never go away. 

7 hours ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

Good point, but Davis is 14 and still growing so who knows. Idk what kind of expectations ppl had for Nagao. His offense looks much better this year but before he transferred he was the double boots and across the throat defense guy, and that didn't tell us much about his ceiling.

Double boots and across the throat defense??

7 hours ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

There was some controversy about "Naggo's" top riding last season, particularly at Big Tens. RBY in particularly seemed to have a reaction towards it 

Previous discussion here

• Bob 1

On 3/13/2024 at 11:32 PM, AgaveMaria said:

Iowa looks down.

They really did before wrestlin Oklahoma State... didn't they?

I don't think so. PSU is so much better than everybody else now that fans think Iowa is down when Iowa is just having a rebuilding year, which is normal. Iowa is still a legit top 5 team, and will be better next year. 

I didn't think OSU would beat Iowa in the dual, and I'm an OSU fan. I thought OSU would keep it a little closer but Iowa just kicked the Cowboy's asses that night. 

Off the topic a bit, but I bet Fix finishes 2nd or 3rd this year if he doesn't amp up the aggression at NCAAs. 

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Previous discussion here

Doesn't look like an arm against the throat to me. Plus, since when have arms against the throat been illegal if there's an arm in there with it? 

15 hours ago, ionel said:

No he is working toward tenure afterwhich he will never go away. 

He might make a better head coach than John Smith at this point, come to think of it. 

Fix has never improved in college. Ever. 

Edited by NM1965

On 3/15/2024 at 12:38 AM, swoopdown said:

Brands has never had any class, why are you surprised? 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

You might be focused on Nagao's right arm. Check out his left.

LOL, you are right. I saw the chopped off picture above and couldn't see how his other arm was around the kid's throat. I thought that was illegal? 

2 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Kind of like holding in football? Its only illegal if you get caught.

So true 😄 My offensive line coach even taught me how to hold and not get caught 😄 I was really good at it. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, NM1965 said:

Brands has never had any class, why are you surprised? 

The guy is highly emotional and super competitive.  Maybe he couldn't handle it?  He's got to be depressed after the gambling thing handed him a bad hand, his one guy in the finals gets blown out and the team result was not up to Iowa expectations.  Or doesn't he like Brooks?  I not dumping on Brands -  I think he's a good coach whose fortunes will turn - could just be a one off with no malice intended but especially because it was a final I gotta wonder why he ignored tradition.

2 hours ago, NM1965 said:

Off the topic a bit, but I bet Fix finishes 2nd or 3rd this year if he doesn't amp up the aggression at NCAAs. 

I’d say you are spot on. But you know, there’s always next year. 

11 minutes ago, Southend said:

I’d say you are spot on. But you know, there’s always next year. 

Not after this year for Fix. It depresses me he's been at OSU for 6 years now and is still exactly the same wrestler he was 6 years ago.