How common is a full ride?

Wrestleknownothing

Reading the Burwick thread got me thinking. With slightly fewer scholarships than starters (9.9 vs 10) and the ability to hand out partial scholarships in wrestling, does anyone know how frequently a wrestler is on a full ride?

I know some schools do not even use their 9.9, and I know some wrestlers who were top 10 pound for pound that did not get a full ride (though perhaps it was available elsewhere) so I am assuming it is not very common.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Reading the Burwick thread got me thinking. With slightly fewer scholarships than starters (9.9 vs 10) and the ability to hand out partial scholarships in wrestling, does anyone know how frequently a wrestler is on a full ride?

I know some schools do not even use their 9.9, and I know some wrestlers who were top 10 pound for pound that did not get a full ride (though perhaps it was available elsewhere) so I am assuming it is not very common.

Don't have any hard data (I'm sure the data wizard could cook up some tables) but do know of a #1 overall out of HS who accepted ~50% for benefit of team (could've gone elsewhere at 100%)  and don't know of any on that team at that time on full.  Now we do know of programs that figured out how to get around the problem.  That said, don't think with NIL it really matters anymore, lots of ways to make up for the missing 0.1 and go well beyond.    

I can remember that the Sqwawkers spent a full scholarship on Steve Mocco and everyone was talking about how unusual that was. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

I was looking at the few membership financial report system replrts I could find online and they just report the number of scholarships and dollars used. Edinboro used 3.51 in 2019 and Rutgers used 9.81 in 2022, for example. But there is nothing there about the number of wrestlers receiving that aid.

If I recall correctly, back on themat someome had posted a link to all the MFRS reports. If you are reading this cam you share that link again?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Coaches of most programs (that don’t have million$ of club money) spread that 9.9 as thinly as possible. Academic aid is the biggest booster, since most top recruits excel in the classroom as well as on the mat. Ben Askren told me he was offered 80% for 5 years = 400% for 4 years of eligibility, which Mizzou considered a full ride. He also told me that established upperclassmen who subsequently become available for additional aid through earned academic scholarships and grants are sometimes asked to reduce their athletic aid for the good of the program. Obviously, individual family economic realities impact all of those factors and everything is case by case. Bottom line, an incoming freshman getting 100% is extremely rare, according to my understanding. 

5 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

Coaches of most programs (that don’t have million$ of club money) spread that 9.9 as thinly as possible. Academic aid is the biggest booster, since most top recruits excel in the classroom as well as on the mat. Ben Askren told me he was offered 80% for 5 years = 400% for 4 years of eligibility, which Mizzou considered a full ride. He also told me that established upperclassmen who subsequently become available for additional aid through earned academic scholarships and grants are sometimes asked to reduce their athletic aid for the good of the program. Obviously, individual family economic realities impact all of those factors and everything is case by case. Bottom line, an incoming freshman getting 100% is extremely rare, according to my understanding. 

you aren't suggesting programs with million$ of club money are cheating, now are you?  🙄