2025 Big Tens

Maryland generally does not mess around when it comes to providing good facilities for things...what with that under armour money and all.  They may not always bring in the top top athletes, but their facilities are, just from what I have seen, always going to be top shelf.  They probably looked less crowded just because the place was so big.  

2 hours ago, Skippy said:

You missed the point. 

Exactly.

Sure, a tournament like Big 10's would probably sell out in Iowa City or Des Moines; likewise, a host city like Pittsburgh would probably pull hefty attendance numbers. However, college wrestling desperately needs to increase its visibility, and to make inroads outside of its traditional rustbelt and cornbelt roots. If even 1% of the 12,000 fans in attendance on Sunday evening become fans because of the experience... that's money well spent. 

11 hours ago, Skippy said:

You missed the point. 

What is the point?   Someone said or looked empty and made reference to lost potential revenue.    You said it was over 11 or 12k.   It was 33% empty.   Other teams average more for duals than they mustered for the finals of the big 10s.   

14 hours ago, Natty Boh Army said:

Guess I went to the wrong concession stand- the food I got was ice cold and borderline nauseating. I also had to go to three different stations to find a diet soda. 

I didn't go this year but a friend was there and said the attendance was poor.  I've been to all the NCAA's in Maryland and came away with a positive experience...the first one for me there was 1972.

11 hours ago, wrestlingfanforlife said:

2025-Northwestern

2026-Penn State

Will Northwestern host on campus or at another venue in Chicagoland?

Someone else said they only have a 7k capacity at their gym, that will not suffice for the demand. A sellout would be cool, but ideally it would be a sellout at a facility 2x as big. 

They need to think about the United Center or similar, they can easily pull 2.5x as many in such an easy to travel to and highly populated place. 

I don't think there's any way Welsh Ryan Arena would be used with such a small capacity.  All State Arena in Rosemont would be an option at 18,500.  NOW Arena in Hoffman Estates is where they hold the Midlands is around 11,500, which is my guess of where they would hold it.

3 hours ago, crossface21 said:

I don't think there's any way Welsh Ryan Arena would be used with such a small capacity.  All State Arena in Rosemont would be an option at 18,500.  NOW Arena in Hoffman Estates is where they hold the Midlands is around 11,500, which is my guess of where they would hold it.

It was at Welsh-Ryan Arena (the old arena, too) the last times NU hosted in 2011, 2001, 1990

48 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

It was at Welsh-Ryan Arena (the old arena, too) the last times NU hosted in 2011, 2001, 1990

Yes and it was just great. The new configuration is superb, and fan friendly. 

• Wrestle 1

7 hours ago, crossface21 said:

I heard from a reliable source that it will be at Welsh-Ryan Arena not at the convention center, which they have had the Midlands tournament at the last couple of years.

Edited by Fadzaev2

53 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I heard from a reliable source that it will be at Welsh-Ryan Arena not at the convention center, which they have had the Midlands tournament at the last couple of years.

Great! We need to support northwestern wrestling to the max. Don’t want another school dropping wrestling 

9 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Someone else said they only have a 7k capacity at their gym, that will not suffice for the demand. A sellout would be cool, but ideally it would be a sellout at a facility 2x as big. 

They need to think about the United Center or similar, they can easily pull 2.5x as many in such an easy to travel to and highly populated place. 

Listed capacity is 7,039… 

NOW Arena is over 11,000 

Allstate Arena is listed 18,500

10 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I understand what you guys are saying, but there is a rich tradition at Northwestern of hosting the MIdlands Championships, Big Tens and even the NCAA Championships in 1970 as well as the first ever USA/USSR dual meet in America held in what used to be McGaw Hall, renovated into Welsh-Ryan Arena.  The director of the Midlands used to be the head coach for a long time at NW/Tim Cysewski.  I'm sure if it ends up in Welsh-Ryan Arena, there is a reason for it.

• Fire 2

8 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

I understand what you guys are saying, but there is a rich tradition at Northwestern of hosting the MIdlands Championships, Big Tens and even the NCAA Championships in 1970 as well as the first ever USA/USSR dual meet in America held in what used to be McGaw Hall, renovated into Welsh-Ryan Arena.  The director of the Midlands used to be the head coach for a long time at NW/Tim Cysewski.  I'm sure if it ends up in Welsh-Ryan Arena, there is a reason for it.

I’ve been to several Midlands there when it was the major in the country. Great venue 

• Fire 1