2025 Big Tens

Should be NU. With the Nebraska, Rutgers, UMD now in the rotation, I think the order is

2024 Maryland
2025 Northwestern
2026 Purdue
2027 Illinois
2028 Wisconsin
2029 Ohio State
2030 Iowa
2031 Indiana
2032 Michigan State
2033 Minnesota
2034 Rutgers
2035 Penn State
2036 Nebraska
2037 Michigan

• Bob 1

I think Penn State got the B1G tournament during Covid when no fans were allowed.

There has been some talk of giving them another host opportunity before they are technically due again because of that fluke year.

• Poopy 2

9 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I think Penn State got the B1G tournament during Covid when no fans were allowed.

There has been some talk of giving them another host opportunity before they are technically due again because of that fluke year.

Of course they would…anything to help out PSU.  LOL I kid, they deserve to have it there again before 2035.

Matter of fact, this tourney should never be held outside of places like, Iowa, PSU, Ohio St. Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska and maybe Rutgers to hit that NJ market.  The big ten is doing themselves absolutely no favors by holding this amazing tourney in places that basically don’t care about wrestling.  You could make arguments for teams like NU and Wisconsin but holding this at Purdue, Michigan State and Maryland is stupid.  So many empty seats and lost money.

• Bob 2

21 hours ago, MarkGA said:

The attendance this weekend at College Park looked poor, a lot of empty seats.  Is this correct? Would this change the rotation in the future? 

Were you there?  Guessing no. 

Over 12,000 at the finals.  Over 11,000 at each session.  

NCAAs were held at Maryland 5 times in the past, with many of them setting attendance records. 

Edited by Skippy
  • Wrestle 1

2 hours ago, Skippy said:

Were you there?  Guessing no. 

Over 12,000 at the finals.  Over 11,000 at each session.  

NCAAs were held at Maryland 5 times in the past, with many of them setting attendance records. 

Yeah, I thought it was pretty crowded, considering 15+ hrs of wrestling with people moving around to different seats, getting food etc. And the arena and concessions were good - local craft beer, crab nachos, along with the usual stuff. Better than it was at Rutgers, IMO.

Edited by Major Kong

24 minutes ago, Major Kong said:

Yeah, I thought it was pretty crowded, considering 15+ hrs of wrestling with people moving around to different seats, getting food etc. And the arena and concessions were good - local craft beer, crab nachos, along with the usual stuff. Better than it was at Rutgers, IMO.

NCAAs should be held in Washington, DC at some point.  Three airports serving the city, a bunch of hotels, restaurants and bars/breweries, easy public transportation.  

But yeah, hold them in a city that doesn't have the infrastructure to support 18,000 fans.....

7 hours ago, Twooooo said:

Of course they would…anything to help out PSU.  LOL I kid, they deserve to have it there again before 2035.

Matter of fact, this tourney should never be held outside of places like, Iowa, PSU, Ohio St. Michigan, Minnesota, Nebraska and maybe Rutgers to hit that NJ market.  The big ten is doing themselves absolutely no favors by holding this amazing tourney in places that basically don’t care about wrestling.  You could make arguments for teams like NU and Wisconsin but holding this at Purdue, Michigan State and Maryland is stupid.  So many empty seats and lost money.

I've only heard positive feedback about the job Maryland did hosting and that the turnout was solid

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

7 hours ago, Twooooo said:

Typically the rationale for rotations is to help grow the sport and provide incentive for administrations to invest in the program. 

How much that holds true at the B1G level, I don't know. 

2 hours ago, Major Kong said:

Guess I went to the wrong concession stand- the food I got was ice cold and borderline nauseating. I also had to go to three different stations to find a diet soda. 

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

Typically the rationale for rotations is to help grow the sport and provide incentive for administrations to invest in the program. 

How much that holds true at the B1G level, I don't know. 

This. I brought 2 nephews and a niece (all rec/club wrestlers), plus their dad (who never wrestled), none of whom had ever attended a college match or tournament of any kind. They all had a blast, and walked away with a new level of interest in the sport (along with what I assume will be a lifelong loathing for Penn State, thanks to the fans surrounding us).

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Twooooo said:

I’m biased because I live here, but wouldn’t Indiana university be a good place? We are centrally located and wrestling is becoming pretty popular here. 

1 hour ago, Caveira said:

I stole this from someone.    But ~12k attended the finals.  The venue holds ~18k.   That’s like 33% empty. 

@Natty Boh Armyis who I got the info from. 

Same crowd in Carver-Hawkeye Arena is only 20% empty.  If it's held at Northwestern next year, it would be a sellout, because Welsh-Ryan holds about 7,000. 

Edited by Skippy
data

1 hour ago, Skippy said:

Same crowd in Carver-Hawkeye Arena is only 20% empty.  If it's held at Northwestern next year, it would be a sellout, because Welsh-Ryan holds about 7,000. 

Last year dual attendance numbers at Carver - Eight home dates, 14,858 average, 118,870 total.    With duals against minnesota, Wisconsin, Army West Point, Chattanooga and Purdue…. Among others.  

Pretty sure they sell it out if Big 10s are there.

2 hours ago, NormMacDonald said:

I’m biased because I live here, but wouldn’t Indiana university be a good place? We are centrally located and wrestling is becoming pretty popular here. 

Iu is in the rotation. And centrally located. The last time Purdue hosted it was full at mackey arena. 

1 hour ago, Caveira said:

Last year dual attendance numbers at Carver - Eight home dates, 14,858 average, 118,870 total.    With duals against minnesota, Wisconsin, Army West Point, Chattanooga and Purdue…. Among others.  

Pretty sure they sell it out if Big 10s are there.

You missed the point. 

2 hours ago, NormMacDonald said:

I sorta think similar about Purdue. Very central. Either way at NU, Purdue, IU I’ll be there since I’m in Chicago! 

• Bob 1

30 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

I sorta think similar about Purdue. Very central. Either way at NU, Purdue, IU I’ll be there since I’m in Chicago! 

I agree! I've never been to a wrestling meet at PU or NU, but I'd like to get there. 

• Bob 1

3 hours ago, Natty Boh Army said:

Guess I went to the wrong concession stand- the food I got was ice cold and borderline nauseating. I also had to go to three different stations to find a diet soda. 

Hmmm, well truth be told, I only had a soft pretzel, a bag of peanuts and several beers. But the crab nachos looked good!