Carter Starocci tried to destroy Mekhi’s knee…

3 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t disagree it’s you, but don’t you find it odd that it seemed like no one took this stance with Spencer Lee last year? And before someone tries to speculate on the legitimacy of the injuries, please realize that’s all it is (speculation)…none of us know/knew exactly what injuries either are/were dealing with. 

I took this stance. I always take this stance. In a sport where 100% of athletes get injured, when they say they are injured I choose to believe them.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

I don’t disagree it’s you, but don’t you find it odd that it seemed like no one took this stance with Spencer Lee last year?

Well, I see what you are aiming at, and you’re right with Carter we don’t know what he’s got going on.  I would see the ragging on Carter being more justified, considering he has leaned into his public persona a bit.

But with Spencer, we know he wrestled the entirety of his college career through his Junior year on one ACL, and then blew that one out in a leg scramble in the Big Ten Finals, then did the no-leg shuffle through the entire tournament.  Then he took a year off to get BOTH knees done, which is silly, bc that should be a two year process.  But he laid it all on the line for the program.  He was clearly at odds with his coaches, which only happens with every great wrestler T&T have ever had in their room for more than one cycle.  He laid it out there to go for it, but the likelihood that the healing was done completely on his knees is very low.  Given what he sacrificed at the alter of the sport during his career, and the way he clearly changed, going from happily being the flag bearer to gradually dropping into the background his senior year and being more private/less vocal, that (to me) spoke to him being at odds with his coaches.  

Starrocci hasn’t been embattled by Cael or anyone within his own organization as far as I can tell, not Cael’s style.

4 hours ago, Le duke said:

How does one "destroy" a knee with an overly aggressive bow and arrow attempt?

The angle that destroys knees in wrestling is pretty much universal.  When the knee is bent, toes are held out, and the foot gets pulled outside the frame of the body (ie heel is wider than the hips) to a meaningful degree, this is when knees get blown apart.  

If the top wrestler stays completely glued to the bottom wrestler's back, this doesn't happen, but when there is a gap between the two, or once the turn has happened and the top wrestler continues walking the foot towards the head, this absolutely wrecks knees.  Generally, and definitely with a guy like Mekhi, the straight-on angle isn't available for the bow and arrow, he's too strong, so angles that line up with small muscles and ligaments instead of the hip flexor are what must be used.  

Now, I just went back and watched it to double check...Starocci didn't wreck Mekhi's knee with a bow and arrow, he did it by being an absolute douche.  He had the bow and arrow, and bc he held onto the ankle, stood up and leaned forward on it as far as he could.  I had not seen that before, but he just became the first Penn State wrestler I will actively not be rooting for in the Cael era.  That sh*t is gross.  

Go to the 7 minute mark in this match and watch for 15 seconds and you'll see what people are talking about. 

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 1.59.35 PM.png

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

The angle that destroys knees in wrestling is pretty much universal.  When the knee is bent, toes are held out, and the foot gets pulled outside the frame of the body (ie heel is wider than the hips) to a meaningful degree, this is when knees get blown apart.  

If the top wrestler stays completely glued to the bottom wrestler's back, this doesn't happen, but when there is a gap between the two, or once the turn has happened and the top wrestler continues walking the foot towards the head, this absolutely wrecks knees.  Generally, and definitely with a guy like Mekhi, the straight-on angle isn't available for the bow and arrow, he's too strong, so angles that line up with small muscles and ligaments instead of the hip flexor are what must be used.  

Now, I just went back and watched it to double check...Starocci didn't wreck Mekhi's knee with a bow and arrow, he did it by being an absolute douche.  He had the bow and arrow, and bc he held onto the ankle, stood up and leaned forward on it as far as he could.  I had not seen that before, but he just became the first Penn State wrestler I will actively not be rooting for in the Cael era.  That sh*t is gross.  

Go to the 7 minute mark in this match and watch for 15 seconds and you'll see what people are talking about. 

Wow that’s pretty bad and seems 100% intentional.    What would they be saying if Mr desanto did this?  Cael sitting there like nothing happened.  There would be a lynch mob calling for brands head saying he condoned this.  

rules for thee….. but not for me.  

• Ionel 1

if not 4 this year, then likely next. With NCAAs in Philly next year, he'd be competing for a historic (4th or 5th) title in front of his friends and family on home turf. I know Erie is a whole different world but it'll still be a home crowd, and that seems like a big deal to Starocci.

1 minute ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

if not 4 this year, then likely next. With NCAAs in Philly next year, he'd be competing for a historic (4th or 5th) title in front of his friends and family on home turf. I know Erie is a whole different world but it'll still be a home crowd, and that seems like a big deal to Starocci.

Of course. It’s always important to place ourselves in the shoes of the wrestlers and the families that love and support who would travel to the ends of the earth just to be in attendance. 

3 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Ooof, that's pretty egregious. Dirty move for sure. 

He's been a punk his entire career and there's been a lot of hypocrisy from the fans regarding his behavior.

• Bob 2
  • Jagger 1

Karma for Carter