How many people do you usually disagree with, but always respect?

This is a lost art, by the way.  As a disagreeable person, I may be biased. 

This thread is inspired my interaction with a colleague with whom I never agree with on how to approach a situation.  But what's awesome is that we maintain a complete level of respect of each other, have never personally attacked each other, and maintain a level of mature discourse.  How long can you go without insulting the person you're arguing with? Hopefully a figure that's in years instead of minutes.  Virtually all political leaders have failed us in this regard.  

But we can be better. Please share your own personally story.

• Fire 1

This is a really interesting topic. Quite a few people come to mind. I'll have to stew on it for a while.

Except... LJB. Before he was banished for being too honest, he and I had a turbulent forum relationship. We would go back and forth, insults in both directions, until we realized we agreed on a few things. Then more. Turned out he was a pretty good guy. It took time, but we got there. We were exchanging a few PM's about the time he was banned. No doubt, the forum was better when he was in it. Hope thing are good with LJB.

Oh... and BIG. Some here know him from the old days. He was as controversial as anybody - probably more. There were some accusations about things he did that I could neither confirm nor deny. But as far as our forum exchanges, he was a character and a half. Never uninteresting exchanging posts with him. (Sadly, he passed away.)

• Fire 1

Unfortunately, few. 

It comes down to a few issues. What they believe and why. If the why is something they can't or won't explain, then we have a problem.  They are either being dishonest to me or themselves. Either way we're not having a real discussion. They are not capable of changing their mind because they can't tell me how they got there in the first place. 

• Fire 2

Kudos to the first two responders. Honesty is a pleasant surprise from individuals who insult the people they disagree with rather than just their ideas.  I half expected they would call others out without understanding the first shot fired versus firing back.  I was wrong.  

image.png

14 hours ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Unfortunately, few. 

It comes down to a few issues. What they believe and why. If the why is something they can't or won't explain, then we have a problem.  They are either being dishonest to me or themselves. Either way we're not having a real discussion. They are not capable of changing their mind because they can't tell me how they got there in the first place. 

And TPT boils down, in a few short sentences, exactly why almost none of us trust politicians.

Which might also be the roadmap for future successful politicians - just sayin'