Just how good is Glazier anyway?

Glazier was 9-7 as a sparsely used backup prior to this season. This year he's 16-1 with over 70% of his wins by way of bonus, including an 11-2 major over Silas Allred (probably his best win). He doesn't have many "premium" wins with his win over Allred and Surber from OSU probably being his biggest wins. How good is he? 

The way I see it, Glazier rode the bench behind Jacob Warner, a 5 time All American (including 2020). A lot of really good wrestlers would've rode the bench behind Warner. I remember getting whipped by a "B" team kid back in HS. I was astonished because I was an All State wrestler myself, how could the B team kid beat me? Because he was B team behind a dominant 3 time state champion, who he wrestled everyday in practice. I didn't feel so bad when that 190 pound B teamer only lost to the 4A State HWT champ 4-3 😄 . That said, Warner was not a super dominant champion or anything, but I think Glazier looks pretty solid, especially considering his close match vs a rusty Ferrari. 

I think Glazier will finish top 5. What do you guys think? 

Edited by NM1965
  • Fire 3

Agree top 5.

The guy seems to do a lot of important things, which aren't at all flashy, really well. He's persistent and in shape, shoots enough to keep people honest, competent but not amazing on the mat and in scrambles, never gets beaten badly in tie ups....he's just a tough out.

• Fire 3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

I'm not an Iowa fan but I am definitely pulling for this kid, he seems to embody all the right things.  And he appears to be damn good, I don't think he is a flash in the pan I would be surprised if he doesn't AA

• Fire 1

No way he finishes that high. Elam is ranked outside the top 8, and he’s a 3xAA (5,4,3). There are at least 8 guys demonstrably better than him. I suppose anything could happen, but that would truly shock me. 

Very good but in a deep weight class (crazy but 197 is that now) 

Love his style overall, clean shots and finishes. Jaxon Smith is probably the gatekeeper type for him to see whether he is an AA or R12-R16 level. Regardless though, he made jumps this year and is for real. 

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

No way he finishes that high. Elam is ranked outside the top 8, and he’s a 3xAA (5,4,3). There are at least 8 guys demonstrably better than him. I suppose anything could happen, but that would truly shock me. 

I don't think you can say guys are "demonstrably better" than Glazier if they haven't actually wrestled him yet. He's given Aaron Brooks his toughest match of the year so far, which is saying something, and he majored Silas Allred, who was an R12 guy last year.  Maybe I'm giving him more credit than he deserves because he doesn't have any "top 10" wins, but he looks pretty strong to me. Granted, there are a lot of pretty tough guys at 197 and I wouldn't be completely shocked if Glazier crapped out and went 0-2 (I've seen it happen to #1 seeds before like Max Askren!). 

It will be interesting to see how he matches up with Jaxon Smith if they meet at Big 10’s. Smith has some really slick stuff and Glazier has been able to get to the legs of everyone he’s wrestled this year and finish on everyone except Brooks (and AJ I guess). 

Edited by Gus
  • Fire 1

He is definitely no fun for anyone to wrestle, and what's crazy, I see him as the kind of guy who could place higher at NCAA's than he does at big tens.  Put him in a bigger bracket with a bunch of small conference guys who aren't used to stingy wrestling in a big tournament and he can really do some damage.  

We do have to give credit where credit is due, no matter how crazy AJ potstickers is, he is a national champ who has tools and is in stellar physical shape.  Glazier took him to OT and scrapped like a dog the whole time.  

• Fire 1

Top 5 Glaze = AJ-repellant for next season

I can’t believe I’m doing this, but:

For the sake of the Iowa program, I hope Glazier has a good AA finish at NCAAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

I can’t believe I’m doing this, but:

For the sake of the Iowa program, I hope Glazier has a good AA finish at NCAAs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me too. I've watched Glazier wrestle several times this year and he's a really tough kid out there. Nothing flashy, but he's a hard worker on the mat. I'm not a Hawkeye fan, but I'm definitely going to be rooting for him to make the podium. 

1 minute ago, NM1965 said:

Then he should AA comfortably. 

Warner doesn't have comfortable matches, everything is by the skin of your teeth 🙂 
But yes he should AA. I really hope it for the kid. But Strange things happen when they pressure is on. 
Final Season. blah blah blah 

3 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Warner doesn't have comfortable matches, everything is by the skin of your teeth 🙂 
But yes he should AA. I really hope it for the kid. But Strange things happen when they pressure is on. 
Final Season. blah blah blah 

Isn't Glazier a Jr? 

10 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Isn't Glazier a Jr? 

Oh yeah the free year right?> So 4th year 5th year. (I havent been as tuned into college as I have in the past)  
Well then, would be fun if Ferrari came back next year and we got the splits rematch. 
But 2x AA I agree, he can do this. 
off the top of my head I like 
Brooks, Hidlay, Buchanan, Sloan, probably Cardenas quite a bit more than him . 
Elam, Deprez, Smith Beard... a little more than him 
man feel like I'm forgetting somebody . Honestly, he's probably on that second level.  if he gets 5-8th, no surprise at all. 
But i think he needs a little luck to do better. 

Edited by Spladle08

On 3/2/2024 at 1:21 PM, NM1965 said:

I don't think you can say guys are "demonstrably better" than Glazier if they haven't actually wrestled him yet. He's given Aaron Brooks his toughest match of the year so far, which is saying something, and he majored Silas Allred, who was an R12 guy last year.  Maybe I'm giving him more credit than he deserves because he doesn't have any "top 10" wins, but he looks pretty strong to me. Granted, there are a lot of pretty tough guys at 197 and I wouldn't be completely shocked if Glazier crapped out and went 0-2 (I've seen it happen to #1 seeds before like Max Askren!). 

I'd be floored barring a total early bracket implosion if Glazier went 0-2 (like he has to face a Top 8 seed immediately in wrestlebacks after he himself loses). I expect him to be wrestling in the blood round.

I'm not ruling out he can beat the Sloan, Beard, Elam types either, we just don't have a data point to say it for sure right now but who knows? He did better than Brooks than anyone expected but I'm not huge on extrapolating from "close losses" Majoring Allred was indeed a good win though.  

• Fire 1

Regardless of how good he is I will never forgive the Brands brothers for trying to recruit over him with AJ Ferrari. 

Glazier did his time as a backup and was undefeated up to that point, that would not sit well with me if I were him. Heck, it doesn’t sit well with me as an Iowa hater. 

I hope he balls out in the post season! I like the Brands Bros (I know, crazy as an Iowa hater) but that fiasco left a bad taste in my mouth solely bc of Glazier. 

35 minutes ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

Regardless of how good he is I will never forgive the Brands brothers for trying to recruit over him with AJ Ferrari. 

Glazier did his time as a backup and was undefeated up to that point, that would not sit well with me if I were him. Heck, it doesn’t sit well with me as an Iowa hater. 

I hope he balls out in the post season! I like the Brands Bros (I know, crazy as an Iowa hater) but that fiasco left a bad taste in my mouth solely bc of Glazier. 

Good points.  I'm thinking it might have more to do with getting the youngest Ferrari on board than anything else.

8 hours ago, Spladle08 said:

Oh yeah the free year right?> So 4th year 5th year. (I havent been as tuned into college as I have in the past)  
Well then, would be fun if Ferrari came back next year and we got the splits rematch. 
But 2x AA I agree, he can do this. 
off the top of my head I like 
Brooks, Hidlay, Buchanan, Sloan, probably Cardenas quite a bit more than him . 
Elam, Deprez, Smith Beard... a little more than him 
man feel like I'm forgetting somebody . Honestly, he's probably on that second level.  if he gets 5-8th, no surprise at all. 
But i think he needs a little luck to do better. 

Elam is ranked 9/10. He’s something close to 10-8 lifetime vs the guys ranked ahead of him. 

I can believe Glazier is r12 material at best, but breaking into the top 8 is a tall order. 5th, nah. 

18 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Brooks had a hard time scoring on him.  Only got one TD if I recall. 

Brooks had a tough time with Glazier's size and strength. That's why I think Hidlay could beat him at Nationals if he doesn't regress to his old style of wrestling. He'll lose if he over-respects Brooks and plays it too safe.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

It would be funny if Glazier finished 5th or so at NCAAs and decided to transfer to PSU for his senior year 😄

• Fire 1