Starocci

16 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Spencer Lee shows up day 3 of nationals to support his teammates after med forfeiting and is accused of not being there to support his teammates.  He still has his character called into question to this very day.

Starocci goes home, doesn't support his team and basically quits in a twitter post.  Translation: he's just rehabbing and they have better equipment at State College.  He needs to get on that ASAP.  The ice bags in College Park aren't good enough!

Agree 100% - if this was Lee and Brands, the Iowa haters would be going crazy with all kinds of insults. When Iowa had their dominant 20 year run they became hated (still are) and people said it was bad for the sport. It’s interesting the difference in treatment of Cael and Penn St. 

15 hours ago, Rassling said:

Or perhaps the sport?

This is the dumbest thing I've heard anyone on this board say in a long time.

The idea that Spencer Lee...who sacrificed who knows how many ACL's and knee surgeries to Iowa and the sport of wrestling...hurt the sport, is ludicrous at best.

He went out there and went balls to the wall literally every match he had...obviously to his own detriment.  We have no idea what sort of condition his knees were in when he wrestled his senior tournament.  Look at this knees here, that he carried the entire Iowa fanbase on for half a decade, which is a solid 20-30% of the entire sport of college wrestling's fanbase, along with the coaching careers of T&T, being the reason that Austin Desanto went from a kimura-launching maniac to a passionate but composed young man, and go check that nonsense. 

Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 4.25.37 AM.png

Edited by wrestle87
  • Brain 1

3 hours ago, SocraTease said:

I think Starocci would be crazy not to wrestle if he is healthy enough to go.   

Winning NCAAs is probably his only realistic way to qualify for Olympic trials.

Winning a 4th would cement his legacy in the sport. Otherwise, he would likely be forever stuck behind Brooks and only in the conversation with three-timers like Nolf, Nickal, and Retherford.

Winning a 4th would likely provide him with some endorsement money and further opportunities.

Not wrestling would likely end his ties with NLWC, the best place to train.

Not wrestling would likely alienate him from the coaches and many guys on the team with whom he is connected for the past 5 years.

And, last but least, not wrestling would make him the subject of conversation for who-knows-how-long on wrestling forums.  For a while, references might surpass Downey, Ferrari, Spencer Lee, and of course Jimmy Cinnabon 

well said - he needs to suck it up and return, even if in the end it proves he has a very legit reason to be very upset.

2 hours ago, dragit said:

Agree with these posts above.  I'd be very surprised if he doesn't change his mind. 

If he doesn't wrestle it would be a singular and disastrous act of petulance with no comparable anywhere in sports that I can think of. 

A national champion quitting on his team before the championship because of a disagreement over playing time when the coach's decision was based on protecting his health.  This would follow him his entire life and could even affect his job prospects in some areas.  

He'd be completely nuts to follow through on the tweet and he should feel fortunate if his coaches and teammates forgive him and allow him to compete.  For his sake I hope he already understands he owes a sincere apology or that someone (Taylor or Brooks, preferably, Cael or Casey if necessary) has a heart to heart with him and gets through to him.

finally some maturity surfaces from all of this

2 hours ago, Rassling said:

doesnt the NCAA brackets come out soon? Should be interesting to see whether or this gets resolved by then!

Suriano was in the bracket during his PSU year…

5 hours ago, dragit said:

He'd be completely nuts to follow through on the tweet and he should feel fortunate if his coaches and teammates forgive him and allow him to compete.  For his sake I hope he already understands he owes a sincere apology or that someone (Taylor or Brooks, preferably, Cael or Casey if necessary) has a heart to heart with him and gets through to him.

Yeah, if anything I think there’s a better chance Cael benches him (assuming he was not given permission to leave, which we don’t know) than he chooses not to wrestle.  Still probably less than 1% though.

15 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

The idea that Spencer Lee...who sacrificed who knows how many ACL's and knee surgeries to Iowa and the sport of wrestling...hurt the sport, is ludicrous at best.

You could argue that his sacrifice to Iowa wrestling hurt Team USA's International team which hurt the sport of Freestyle wrestling

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

38 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

You could argue that his sacrifice to Iowa wrestling hurt Team USA's International team which hurt the sport of Freestyle wrestling

I would definitely not disagree with that. The sport would definitely be better with a healthier and happier spencer lee.

14 hours ago, Rassling said:

doesnt the NCAA brackets come out soon? Should be interesting to see whether or this gets resolved by then!

Wednesday, 13-March at 8pm EDT.

Edited by lu_alum
  • Bob 1

1 hour ago, PortaJohn said:

Those making that argument should also say Vito wrestling this NCAA season is potentially hurting our international team as well, correct?

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Those making that argument should also say Vito wrestling this NCAA season is potentially hurting our international team as well, correct?

Does anyone know what his injury is?

Just now, PortaJohn said:

Does anyone know what his injury is?

No one that will share it that I’ve seen. I think back is what I’ve seen speculated, plus if he may have injured his knee against Crookham.

Although to be fair it’s probably the Ivy League’s fault that he didn’t ORS this year.

No one that will share it that I’ve seen. I think back is what I’ve seen speculated, plus if he may have injured his knee against Crookham.
Although to be fair it’s probably the Ivy League’s fault that he didn’t ORS this year.

His stance made me think back. That wasn’t normal Vito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

10 minutes ago, Le duke said:

His stance made me think back. That wasn’t normal Vito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had a back injury and hands down the worst pain I've ever gone through.  Worse than the one time I got meningitis.  Had surgery.  The recovery is a slow process.  Depending on the severity of Vito's injury I'd hope he can make the best decision for his future.  

Edited by PortaJohn

1 hour ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Self fellating drama queen that doesn't care about supporting his teammates, tsk tsk

A loud mouth like this probably has less “teammates” in life than the fingers on his right hand. Drama king, please serve this clown some jelly with his peanut butter. 

• Clown 1

17 minutes ago, Rassling said:

A loud mouth like this probably has less “teammates” in life than the fingers on his right hand. Drama king, please serve this clown some jelly with his peanut butter. 

You can suck down as much copium as you want. Fact is, Carter bailed on his team in the middle of a tournament and deliberately made a "look at me" spectacle of a tweet. Rather than support them, he felt the need to make. It all about him. That's in addition to all the BS he's spewed over the years. 

Carter could kick a baby out of a stroller and youd probably argue how that was great physical therapy.