Starocci just Andonian'd his knee

JuanMogen

Hopefully it was just precautionary and he was freaking out a bit and it's not that serious.   

I don't know how anyone can relate this to the potentially dangerous call in the Hardy/Bartlett match.  This one happened so fast and Star does put himself there while going for the pin.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

This one happened so fast, though, I don't know how anybody could be quick enough to stop it. On top of that, it seemed like Starocci initiated the move. Ref's gonna pay more attention when the other guy is twisting the leg. 

The good news is that surgery has come a long way. The ILLINI 197 pounder, Isiah Pettigrew, had surgery and was back within three to four weeks! First match back was a dud, second one was winner. Full gas tank, shooting takedowns in the third to earn a major.

I can hardly comprehend kids coming back so quickly, but it's possible. Coach Poeta said that they have ways to keep folks with knee and ankle injuries in cardiovascular shape. I think it involves an Iron Maiden and an ostrich feather. Don't quote me on that. 

I believe he just had a knee scope for a meniscus. Just from looking at the position it looked like his knee rotated which could be meniscus or ACL but if he could not put any weight on it id lead more towards ACL if not both. That said spencer wrestled with no ACL's and Yianni won with a torn one from the quarters on so I would not put it past carter to do the same. What's most unfortunate to me is it appears to be the same leg he injured previously so I hope it does not hamper his future mma aspirations.

• Fire 1

46 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Hopefully it was just precautionary and he was freaking out a bit and it's not that serious.   

I don't know how anyone can relate this to the potentially dangerous call in the Hardy/Bartlett match.  This one happened so fast and Star does put himself there while going for the pin.  

I think the official explanation for Bartlett/Hardy was technically that the ref thought Bartlett was indicating he was injured…

Different situations of course but I believe Askren’s argument was potentially dangerous shouldn’t exist at all.   Starocci kinda just proved it should. 

Edit:  but you should be called for stalling if you put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation more than once.

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 1

I believe he just had a knee scope for a meniscus. Just from looking at the position it looked like his knee rotated which could be meniscus or ACL but if he could not put any weight on it id lead more towards ACL if not both. That said spencer wrestled with no ACL's and Yianni won with a torn one from the quarters on so I would not put it past carter to do the same. What's most unfortunate to me is it appears to be the same leg he injured previously so I hope it does not hamper his future mma aspirations.
Yeah, you could potentially wrestle in a little as a week after a meniscus scope. With an ACL, you either have to hold off on surgery like Spencer or Kerk, or you're out for the season. That said, I've seen people walk (or continue to wrestle) immediately after an ACL tear. If a knee locks up from a meniscus tear (torn part folds up in the joint), you aren't walking until you can get it to unlock.
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Depends, you can finish after ACL injury.   You won't be back from acl surgery in 4 weeks.  However you don't have to have surgery to wrestle.

Idk man, Aaron Rodgers was back and ready to play with a torn achilles tendon in like 2 weeks... things have come a long way... just gotta follow his protocol. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think the official explanation for Bartlett/Hardy was technically that the ref thought Bartlett was indicating he was injured…

Different situations of course but I believe Askren’s argument was potentially dangerous shouldn’t exist at all.   Starocci kinda just proved it should. 

Edit:  but you should be called for stalling if you put yourself in a potentially dangerous situation more than once.

Askren always has something stupid to add to any conversation, doesn't he? 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Askren always has something stupid to add to any conversation, doesn't he? 

I'm starting to think he hams it up just so he can still fly below the radar in the wrestling world a bit.  He gets so over his skis in random conversations, that it gives outsiders plausible deniability to not take him or his wrestlers potentially as seriously as they should.  The wrestling community is still so used to the gable brands schwab j smith wear your anger on your face style that sometimes it feels like, at least amongst the coaching-age generation, that people like askren and poeta get dismissed for taking a different approach to things.  

• Fire 3

15 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Meanwhile, last week, Ben (whom I am a fan of) was still under the impression that a toe hold was illegal (but it hasn't been for year.)

This is news to me. When did this rule change? 

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I believe Askren’s argument was potentially dangerous shouldn’t exist at all.   Starocci kinda just proved it should. 

There was no time to call PD in that situation. None. Zip. Zilch. Zero. Notta. Etc...

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, wrestle87 said:

I'm starting to think he hams it up just so he can still fly below the radar in the wrestling world a bit.  He gets so over his skis in random conversations, that it gives outsiders plausible deniability to not take him or his wrestlers potentially as seriously as they should.  The wrestling community is still so used to the gable brands schwab j smith wear your anger on your face style that sometimes it feels like, at least amongst the coaching-age generation, that people like askren and poeta get dismissed for taking a different approach to things.  

Askren has always had a big mouth, but I'm old fashioned and can't stand guys who talk shit, I appreciate the old hardnosed style of keeping your mouth shut and acting like you've been there before, you know. I can't stand those guys who praise Jesus after winning either, that's ridiculous. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

Askren has always had a big mouth, but I'm old fashioned and can't stand guys who talk shit, I appreciate the old hardnosed style of keeping your mouth shut and acting like you've been there before, you know. I can't stand those guys who praise Jesus after winning either, that's ridiculous. 

What about when they denounce other religions and call Mohammed a false prophet? 🤣

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, NM1965 said:

We are cut from very similar cloth.  I just wonder about it from a strategy standpoint, because in the few interviews and podcasts I have watched where Askren has actually started revealing what goes on in his head, he sounds like an absolute shark.  His tone of voice changes, his delivery changes, he doesn't laugh in between every other sentence, he has a very crystal clear message that gets delivered with perfect diction and a considerable amount of intention.  He doesn't do it very often, I just can't help thinking that this is the real Ben Askren, and the rest of it is just a diversion in some way.  

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Not to re-litigate the Hardy/Bartlett call but if a guy calls out for injury time and the TD is imminent then I think the points should be awarded.  Okay with stopping the action to prevent injury but not points.  

Some injuries are not preventable by PD, but I am not sure that means we should eliminate PD.

• Fire 5

1 hour ago, pokemonster said:

Idk man, Aaron Rodgers was back and ready to play with a torn achilles tendon in like 2 weeks... things have come a long way... just gotta follow his protocol. 

I said acl.  Yeah I trained thru an achilles tear getting ready for a marathon with new treatment procedure but been thru 3 ACL surgery and thats different.  

• Fire 1

10 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

Not to re-litigate the Hardy/Bartlett call but if a guy calls out for injury time and the TD is imminent then I think the points should be awarded.  Okay with stopping the action to prevent injury but not points.  

Some injuries are not preventable by PD, but I am not sure that means we should eliminate PD.

I wouldn’t have hated if they called that, but gun to my head I’d say that TD was not imminent

37 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I wouldn’t have hated if they called that, but gun to my head I’d say that TD was not imminent

I agree it was not imminent.  Was using it more of an example with regard to the stoppage.