What made the 70's such a great time for modern rock bands?

mspart

Just wondering what thoughts there are out there.   I have a shirt that says "I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands".    Very true. 

I won't list them but it seems like the 70s bands paved new territory and the 80s and 90s bands just kind of followed with small changes.  

A list of A list 70's bands.

Yes, Led Zepp, Bad Co, Heart, Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Styx, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, UFO, Scorpions, Ted Nugent, Van Halen, Kansas, Eagles, Who, etc.    These were groundbreaking acts.   I've seen most of these in concert in one form or another. 

mspart

It was the decade after the Beatles truly changed the game.  They planted the seed and the great rock and roll bands sprouted from there.

And a young man from Jamaica took his ska/rock-steady groove from his neck of the woods, blended it with some rock and a nice funky vibe......and changed the world!

Then the 80's introduced music being made by technology.

Edited by WrestlingRasta

The 70s introduced Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.  The 80s introduced Metallica and Nothing Else Matters.

msparts band list is what my dad listened to, and I have the vinyls and cds 😉 

my high schooler has the cassettes

2 minutes ago, jross said:

The 70s introduced Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.  The 80s introduced Metallica and Nothing Else Matters.

msparts band list is what my dad listened to, and I have the vinyls and cds 😉 

my high schooler has the cassettes

I have not seen those bands.   I liked Judas Priest, not Iron Maiden so much.   Metallica has some good stuff and I can almost play Nothing Else Matters so that is good.   I've got it mostly down except the intro.   I have it but cannot play it good consistently.   Beginning looks like this!!  Fairly easy. 

An Account of My Calluses — Karie Luidens

mspart

• Fire 1

29 minutes ago, mspart said:

I have not seen those bands.   I liked Judas Priest, not Iron Maiden so much.   Metallica has some good stuff and I can almost play Nothing Else Matters so that is good.   I've got it mostly down except the intro.   I have it but cannot play it good consistently.   Beginning looks like this!!  Fairly easy. 

An Account of My Calluses — Karie Luidens

mspart

Marty has it in 3 parts.  Good luck.

4 hours ago, mspart said:

Just wondering what thoughts there are out there.   I have a shirt that says "I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands".    Very true. 

I won't list them but it seems like the 70s bands paved new territory

you talking Bee Gees?

13 hours ago, mspart said:

I won't list them but it seems like the 70s bands paved new territory and the 80s and 90s bands just kind of followed with small changes.  

A list of A list 70's bands.

Yes, Led Zepp, Bad Co, Heart, Allman Bros, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Styx, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, UFO, Scorpions, Ted Nugent, Van Halen, Kansas, Eagles, Who, etc.    These were groundbreaking acts.   I've seen most of these in concert in one form or another. 

mspart

It was obviously the result of the government cheese program.  

15 hours ago, jross said:

Marty has it in 3 parts.  Good luck.

Thanks jross.   I have watched that.   I have the parts down pretty good.   It is finger dexterity for the most part.   There is a stretch that my little and old hand just has trouble with without touching the high E string and muting that F# hit. 

But I'm getting there.  

And to ionel - I won't dignify that post with a response.

mspart

I won't discount that.   If I could make a $3000 guitar sound like a $3000 guitar, it might work.   Alas, I have a $350 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro which I love and it sounds like a better guitar than the price.   This is a fun song to play and not too difficult except for that beginning part.   Fun to play against a youtube backing track.   Then I am the guitar.   In my head, I sound pretty good.  

mspart