Jump to content

Shooter at Osteen church


mspart

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, braves121 said:

You do not have great reading comprehension. That states that 1 out of 5 people fatally shot have mental illness. This is not stating 1 out of 5 mentally ill people get shot

You don’t even know what you just said. My gosh. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, mspart said:

OK, but that was not the question.   How many mentally ill people are handled by police and are not shot.   Your assertion was that a person with mental illness usually gets shot by police.   Rather than show this irrelevant statistic, prove your assertion.  

Assertion:  when police get involved in mental issues the person suffering from the mental illness usually gets killed by the police. 

Go!

mspart

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/how-some-encounters-between-police-and-people-with-mental-illness-can-turn-tragic

The 21st Century Cures Act, passed by Congress with bipartisan votes in 2016, requires the Department of Justice to collect and publish data on how often federal, state and local officers use force, how many times that force ends up being fatal and how often the deceased had a mental illness. But the law doesn’t require police departments to tell the DOJ how many people their officers killed

There is no data for how many mentally ill people do not get shot by police, the law only states that they have to disclose how many deceased had a mental illness, not encountered

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

So where’s the number for ALL shootings involving mentally Ill people like you were originally talking about???????  

 

Exactly. Like backing up with facts what you actually stated.  🤦‍♂️ 

It would be nice to have a little more information. Does the individual have a weapon? Has the individual already used the weapon and shot someone? Has he shot at the police? Has he already killed someone or is he threatening to kill someone? Does the individual have a history of violently uses a gun? Is there any data that answers these questions. But like I said earlier by the time someone with mental illness is an adult and has a gun ( that he shouldn't have ) and the police have to interact its way to late. It does not end well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, braves121 said:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/how-some-encounters-between-police-and-people-with-mental-illness-can-turn-tragic

The 21st Century Cures Act, passed by Congress with bipartisan votes in 2016, requires the Department of Justice to collect and publish data on how often federal, state and local officers use force, how many times that force ends up being fatal and how often the deceased had a mental illness. But the law doesn’t require police departments to tell the DOJ how many people their officers killed

There is no data for how many mentally ill people do not get shot by police, the law only states that they have to disclose how many deceased had a mental illness, not encountered

Seems that would mean usually they don’t get shot. Huh?  

  • Fire 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Seems that would mean usually they don’t get shot. Huh?  

I mean not really they do not have to report if they shot a mentally ill person. they do have to report if a person they killed had a mental illness.  Do you have to move the goalpost literally every single time? 

Edited by braves121
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Paul158 said:

That is what the data is saying.

If there is no law for police to keep data of how many people they encounter how are we supposed to get that data? How is that what the data is saying? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, braves121 said:

I mean not really they do not have to report if they shot a mentally ill person. they do have to report if a person they killed had a mental illness.  Do you have to move the goalpost literally every single time? 

I didn’t move any goal post. You did.   Cops encounter thousands of calls involving mental illness every year and don’t shoot anyone.   You may want to branch out of your small control group answer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, braves121 said:

If there is no law for police to keep data of how many people they encounter how are we supposed to get that data? How is that what the data is saying? 

I'm just messing with you. Did you see my previous post wanting more data about the actual encounter with the police. Whether he has a gun or is he actively shooting or has he already shot someone. Are there hostages involved. Sometimes the individual has mixed alcohol with their medication. It will not end well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JimmyBT said:

I didn’t move any goal post. You did.   Cops encounter thousands of calls involving mental illness every year and don’t shoot anyone.   You may want to branch out of your small control group answer. 

Can you give me the data where cops encounter thousands of calls involving mental illness every year and don't shoot anyone? I want facts not feelings!

 

Edited by braves121
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, braves121 said:

If there is no law for police to keep data of how many people they encounter how are we supposed to get that data? How is that what the data is saying? 

So you’re saying cops only deal with mental illness situations when there’s a shooting?  You can’t believe that.  Well….. sorry YOU can 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JimmyBT said:

So you’re saying cops only deal with mental illness situations when there’s a shooting?  You can’t believe that.  Well….. sorry YOU can 

You can not ever have a conversation in good faith. You twist and turn words and make up your own ideas of what someone is saying. Where did I say cops only deal with mental illness situation when there is a shooting? You asked for stats on police encountering mentally ill people and I stated that there are no laws saying cops have to disclose how many mentally ill people they encounter. There is a law saying that the police have to disclose how many people that they kill with a mental illness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, braves121 said:

You can not ever have a conversation in good faith. You twist and turn words and make up your own ideas of what someone is saying. Where did I say cops only deal with mental illness situation when there is a shooting? You asked for stats on police encountering mentally ill people and I stated that there are no laws saying cops have to disclose how many mentally ill people they encounter. There is a law saying that the police have to disclose how many people that they kill with a mental illness.

Which means they USUALLY don’t get shot like YOU said they do.  Life is hard for you isn’t it? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, braves121 said:

when police get involved in mental issues the person suffering from the mental illness usually gets killed by the police. 
When Teachers bring up mental health parents scream indoctrination. When parents are supposed to talk about it you then have instances such as Crumbleys mom actively helping her son with planning and commiting a school shooting. You see police and other agencies defy gun control laws.  What do we do from here? 

This was YOUR original comment.  Read the first sentence YOU wrote. 🤦‍♂️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JimmyBT said:

Which means they USUALLY don’t get shot like YOU said they do.  Life is hard for you isn’t it? 

How can you prove that when there is no data showing how many mentally ill people are encountered by police? Can I have some cold hard facts not feelings? using your own argument here. You got mad at me for providing actual stories and stats saying mentally ill people are more likely to be shot yet you can not provide data or sources saying that mentally ill people usually don't get shot by police

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, braves121 said:

How can you prove that when there is no data showing how many mentally ill people are encountered by police? Can I have some cold hard facts not feelings? using your own argument here. You got mad at me for providing actual stories and stats saying mentally ill people are more likely to be shot yet you can not provide data or sources saying that mentally ill people usually don't get shot by police

So AGAIN you’re saying cops only deal with mentally ill people when a mentally I’ll person is shot?  Cops never talk some down from suicide, or from shooting someone else??  Ever???  

Edited by JimmyBT
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...