Braeden Davis lost

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

The thread title says that he lost.  I was simply stating the fact that he did, in fact, not lose.

Speaking of which I had this idea.

JC loves to start a new thread every time he thinks of something to say on a topic with an already active thread. He is an attention whore (takes one to know one) and this is his form of bumping. He even does it when he started the already active thread. Case in point, his Penn State Looked Human thread.

It gives me immense pleasure that no one has responded to that thread. I feel like rather than ever responding directly to one of his threads all responses should be in a new thread started by the first responder. That might be fun.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

JC loves to start a new thread every time he thinks of something to say on a topic with an already active thread. He is an attention whore (takes one to know one) and this is his form of bumping. He even does it when he started the already active thread. Case in point, his Penn State Looked Human thread.

It gives me immense pleasure that no one has responded to that thread. I feel like rather than ever responding directly to one of his threads all responses should be in a new thread started by the first responder. That might be fun.

I think this one did deserve its own thread, IMO.  But yeah, the PSU looked human one definitely unnecessary 

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Better idea. Connabon threads are invisible until at least 5 people respond.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

yea but this thread is already on its 3rd page. lol!

• Fire 1

2 things should happen as a result of the this match:

1) That official shouldn't be allowed to ref big time matches or NCAAs.  It was that bad of a (no) call.

2) Eliminate officials reviewing their own calls.  There is no point anymore and it is just wasting time if they are not going to look at it with an open mind.  I guess it might be too expensive for every match to have an independent 3rd party, but then we need to eliminate reviews because they are currently pointless. 

• Fire 2

34 minutes ago, Dogbone said:

2 things should happen as a result of the this match:

1) That official shouldn't be allowed to ref big time matches or NCAAs.  It was that bad of a (no) call.

2) Eliminate officials reviewing their own calls.  There is no point anymore and it is just wasting time if they are not going to look at it with an open mind.  I guess it might be too expensive for every match to have an independent 3rd party, but then we need to eliminate reviews because they are currently pointless. 

If they have an independent reviewer, you can probably get rid of the second ref.  The main additional value they provide except another opinion (which can be replaced by the independent reviewer) is helping with end of period timing (which can also be replaced by an independent reviewer), and giving another angle for locked hands - and even that they screwed up in one match recently

• Fire 1

23 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

The post match handshake was fun.  Davis shook hands with an imaginary Kilkaery since the real one didn't bother.

Hard to tell for sure but it looks like they did shake hands around 11:00 here - but then Ryan was rightfully yelling at the ref so by the time the ref raised Davis’s hand Kilkeary was gone.

• Fire 1

If this match has happened last year that exchange is scored differently however, with the new rules regarding control being required, i still think this a neutral danger scenario at which point it's clearly not enough time for the requisite count to be completed.

I know it's easy to hate on PSU but I certainly don't believe they "get" more calls and I know the coaches at PSU are definitely not ref bullies like a lot of other guys out there.  A lot of the comments come across as "sour grapes."  I didn't see nearly as many guys hating on the Woods not pinned situation that happened in the Iowa match last night so maybe there is just a little too much PSU hate going on.

13 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

If this match has happened last year that exchange is scored differently however, with the new rules regarding control being required

The only rule that changed was getting rid of the hand-touch takedown, where a hand touching from a rear standing position (which this was not) was the only situation where no reaction time was given.  There has been no change to the rule for all other takedowns needing to be “beyond reaction time,” even though it seems to be extended this year.  I know there have been a few other controversial ones so far this year, but most of the others were debatable , this one was clear as day.  Even most PSU fans I’ve seen are saying it should have been a TD, and I have not seen a single non-PSU fan actually defend it.

• Fire 2

7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Lol I am by no means a PSU fan and like I said this call was “trash,” and I usually try to defend the refs. A youth referee may get rattled by being yelled at, but D1 refs won’t.  Again, I wouldn’t  necessarily say that Cael is “getting” calls, it’s that other coaches may be “losing” them by acting like idiots.  Although Ryan usually isn’t too bad so I don’t think that applies in this instance.

It’s really not that difficult to understand that refs are human and they are susceptible to emotions like anyone else. The calmer you are or less confrontational you are the more likely you are to get the benefit of the doubt. You are correct in that coaches are doing more to harm themselves whenever they are confrontational with a ref than if they were not. 

Edited by JimmyCinnabon

36 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Hard to tell for sure but it looks like they did shake hands around 11:00 here - but then Ryan was rightfully yelling at the ref so by the time the ref raised Davis’s hand Kilkeary was gone.

I was there, and it's possible (but in my opinion unlikely because Davis was in the PSU corner) that I missed a very early handshake because there was a lot of discussion in the stands at the time and my head may have been turned away.  But I can say for sure that Kilkeary was not on the mat any time close to when Davis had his arm raised and Davis did the mime handshake with a pretend Kilkeary.

27 minutes ago, swoopdown said:

I was there, and it's possible (but in my opinion unlikely because Davis was in the PSU corner) that I missed a very early handshake because there was a lot of discussion in the stands at the time and my head may have been turned away.  But I can say for sure that Kilkeary was not on the mat any time close to when Davis had his arm raised and Davis did the mime handshake with a pretend Kilkeary.

I see what looks to be an arm shaking Davis’s hand at 11:05 in that video. Then Ryan argues with the ref and Davis doesn’t get his hand raised until 11:30

14 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I see what looks to be an arm shaking Davis’s hand at 11:05 in that video. Then Ryan argues with the ref and Davis doesn’t get his hand raised until 11:30

That OSU didn't lose a team point supports that there was a handshake at 11:05 (there must be no requirement that two wrestlers have to be in the circle when the winners arm is raised I guess).  But since the camera was fixated on Ryan the mime handshake, which was the observation that I observed, was not captured.

28 minutes ago, crzyctldy said:

My take after watching that match is that Davis will not AA and will likely be no better than 5th at the B1Gs.

Eh that’s really just another day at 125.   Davis could win it all or he could go 0-2.  The B10 could also have 6 or 7 AA’s.

Eh that’s really just another day at 125.   Davis could win it all or he could go 0-2.  The B10 could also have 6 or 7 AA’s.

He’s a true freshman who just went through the hardest week of training of his life. I don’t think one “bad” match, in which he scored a TD and *gave up* a single takedown, is enough to write off his body of work.

That said, 125.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, MPhillips said:

Kilkeary and Davis have a history. There is no love lost between them. I believe this was the first time Davis beat Kilkeary out of at least two prior matches, 2020 S32 and 2023.

but he didn't.  

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PSULou64 said:

If this match has happened last year that exchange is scored differently however, with the new rules regarding control being required, i still think this a neutral danger scenario at which point it's clearly not enough time for the requisite count to be completed.

I know it's easy to hate on PSU but I certainly don't believe they "get" more calls and I know the coaches at PSU are definitely not ref bullies like a lot of other guys out there.  A lot of the comments come across as "sour grapes."  I didn't see nearly as many guys hating on the Woods not pinned situation that happened in the Iowa match last night so maybe there is just a little too much PSU hate going on.

This is just 100% not true. The hand touch rule change was not applicable here.  It was also not neutral danger nor does anyone think it is.  OSU was behind the arms with :05 left then PSU went to his back for a count and got off his back with about :01.  It was an obvious TD.  

It's not PSU hate, its hate toward the official and the ridiculous application of reaction time that had a direct impact on the match outcome.  I thought Woods was pinned too but haven't seen a definitive replay nor would it have changed the match, which is why their isn't as much outcry. 

• Fire 3

Kilkeary and Davis have a history. There is no love lost between them. I believe this was the first time Davis beat Kilkeary out of at least two prior matches, 2020 S32 and 2023.

Kilkeary hit a super illegal cutback at the PWC and got away with it, winning him the match, so Kilkeary has no room for complaint.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Kilkeary hit a super illegal cutback at the PWC and got away with it, winning him the match, so Kilkeary has no room for complaint.

What’s the difference between an illegal move and a super illegal move?

• Fire 1