Curious to see how this can get spun

21 hours ago, Offthemat said:

Stop and think.  We’ve gone from single income families of the 1960s to two+ income families in order to maintain the status quo.  In the name of progress. 

Now that is something to ponder.   But as a rejoinder, in the 60's the houses were quite small.   Now they are huge and you need 2 incomes just to knock on the door.   By the way, we have done it with one income for many years until my wife took up teaching preschool.   Now she works 3 hours a day, 4 days a week and supplements the household income.   Makes vacations a little easier.  

mspart

• Fire 2

12 hours ago, mspart said:

Now that is something to ponder.   But as a rejoinder, in the 60's the houses were quite small.   Now they are huge and you need 2 incomes just to knock on the door.   By the way, we have done it with one income for many years until my wife took up teaching preschool.   Now she works 3 hours a day, 4 days a week and supplements the household income.   Makes vacations a little easier.  

mspart

My kids were surprised that I grew up in a house with 8 people and 1.5 bathrooms. 

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My kids were surprised that I grew up in a house with 8 people and 1.5 bathrooms. 

We had  9 in our house 3 bedrooms one bathroom and an outhouse and large wood burning furnace in the basement. All firewood cut with a 2 man (actually boys ) crosscut saw. About 5 cords, 

• Fire 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

6 and 1 bathroom later 1.5, 3 bedrooms of course sister got one to herself. 

• Fire 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Paul158 said:

We had  9 in our house 3 bedrooms one bathroom and an outhouse and large wood burning furnace in the basement. All firewood cut with a 2 man (actually boys ) crosscut saw. About 5 cords, 

So no worries if lose electricity.  😉 We were total electric ice storm lost electric for a week, parents gone, brothers (hs & jh) and I still had to feed cattle, could get to grandparents 5 mi dirt road via tractor, they had gas for cooking etc.  I laughed at my son in Houston when they lost electric for two whole days and then it was 60f. 

Edited by ionel
  • Fire 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, ionel said:

So no worries if lose electricity.  😉 We were total electric ice storm lost electric for a week, parents gone, brothers (hs & jh) and I still had to feed cattle, could get to grandparents 5 mi dirt road via tractor, they had gas for cooking etc.  I laughed at my son in Houston when they lost electric for two whole days and then it was 60f. 

That was some tough going there. It is really important to have some sort of back up heat for ice storms or just general power outages. In the area where I live now some idiot shot out 3 of our substations in a 1 hour period. taking out power to about 20,000 homes for5 days. He shot the bottom of the transformers and all the oil drained out. This was in December. They have never caught the individuals. They must have sold 1000 generators.

1 hour ago, Paul158 said:

That was some tough going there. It is really important to have some sort of back up heat for ice storms or just general power outages. In the area where I live now some idiot shot out 3 of our substations in a 1 hour period. taking out power to about 20,000 homes for5 days. He shot the bottom of the transformers and all the oil drained out. This was in December. They have never caught the individuals. They must have sold 1000 generators.

We were 14 miles out of small town, no back up systems in use there back then.  Guess we could've pulled a generator off center pivot system but ... also no heat on tractor, took it to grandparents house cause roads snowed in, snow & ice storm.  

• Fire 1

On 2/3/2024 at 6:10 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

8 hours ago, ionel said:

6 and 1 bathroom later 1.5, 3 bedrooms of course sister got one to herself. 

Forgot we were 6 with 2 bedrooms and 1 bath for a while.  Additional bedroom added/completed after younger brother born.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, ionel said:

We were 14 miles out of small town, no back up systems in use there back then.  Guess we could've pulled a generator off center pivot system but ... also no heat on tractor, took it to grandparents house cause roads snowed in, snow & ice storm.  

The good old days. Maybe the crazy good old days. Its good to be resourceful when emergency's arise. I think growing up on a farm requires you to have some common sense and the ability to figure things out. Its not an option.

• Confused 1

My wife had 8 with 1 bathroom, 3 bedrooms and the wood stove was at the other end of the house.   She woke up to ice on the inside of the windows many times.  

I had is fairly easy in comparison.  

But since we moved to the PNW the second time, we live in a less populated area that would lose power for more than a few days and do this a few times a year.   Finally got a generator and installed the transfer switch and we don't have any worries.   Keeps the heat going, have hot water (both are natural gas) and can watch TV and keep the freezers going.   All the important stuff. 

mspart

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, mspart said:

My wife had 8 with 1 bathroom, 3 bedrooms and the wood stove was at the other end of the house.   She woke up to ice on the inside of the windows many times.  

I had is fairly easy in comparison.  

But since we moved to the PNW the second time, we live in a less populated area that would lose power for more than a few days and do this a few times a year.   Finally got a generator and installed the transfer switch and we don't have any worries.   Keeps the heat going, have hot water (both are natural gas) and can watch TV and keep the freezers going.   All the important stuff. 

mspart

Won’t Washington be on the cutting edge of eliminating natural gas ?  

23 minutes ago, JimmyBT said:

Won’t Washington be on the cutting edge of eliminating natural gas ?  

Hopefully art has an axe and a wood burning stove ... chop wood carry water🙂

• Fire 1

Just now, ionel said:

Hopefully art has an axe and a wood burning stove ... chop wood carry water🙂

Europe is already studying the effects of wood burning stoves. State of  Washington has to be on alert