Pan-Am Olympic Games Qualifier Wrestle-Offs: 2/3/24 at 10am Mountain on Flo

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

USAW did not want to deal with Cornell's lawyers.

Came here to say this.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

6 hours ago, SocraTease said:

As I see it, there are two kinds of people in the world:  those who divide people into two kinds of people, and those who don't. 

There are two kinds of people in the world. I avoid both of them. | Two  kinds of people, Kinds of people, Classical art memes

There are actually five (5) types of people.

I am the fifth and the rest of this forum's royalty is also in that category.

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

If the submitted pan am lineup was a "placeholder," why not go with the reigning world team member?

p.s. I'm not sure if anyone knew this, but both Yianni and Nick Lee are Basch's "guys."

Yeah, that humble brag was a little much. Would have been better if he said "when Yianni and Mick called me for advice, I confirmed they would be wrestling"

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

18 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yeah, that humble brag was a little much. Would have been better if he said "when Yianni and Mick called me for advice, I confirmed they would be wrestling"

Lol, if you listen to his show, it is name drop after name drop.  Some great content, but very important to Basch to let us know how tight he is with his "guys."

• Fire 2

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Thanks for that, WKN.

There is still ambiguity. That article discusses the Pan Am Championships, and there is this:

Note: The entries are subject to change till three hours before the official draw of the wrestling style.

Then, scroll down and there is a different section or different article that discusses entries for the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier, and that rule is not mentioned! 

In the schedule of events for the Olympic Qualifier, there is no mention of what time zone. I assume local time, but does Mexico do what many in the US do by referring to Eastern time as some kind of standard? By the way, local time in Acapulco is the same as Central Time in the United States. 

9 minutes ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Thanks for that, WKN.

There is still ambiguity. That article discusses the Pan Am Championships, and there is this:

Then, scroll down and there is a different section or different article that discusses entries for the Pan Am Olympic Qualifier, and that rule is not mentioned! 

In the schedule of events for the Olympic Qualifier, there is no mention of what time zone. I assume local time, but does Mexico do what many in the US do by referring to Eastern time as some kind of standard? By the way, local time in Acapulco is the same as Central Time in the United States. 

My bad. Yes, my link is specific to the Championships, not the OG Qualifier. I can only assume they will follow a similar procedure for the OG Qualifier as for the Championships, but I do not know for sure. Certainly it would be reasonable to assume that the USAW and the PAN-Am organizers have discussed this and know that the US has not yet determined its rep for the OG Qualifier.

• Fire 1

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

My bad. Yes, my link is specific to the Championships, not the OG Qualifier. I can only assume they will follow a similar procedure for the OG Qualifier as for the Championships, but I do not know for sure. Certainly it would be reasonable to assume that the USAW and the PAN-Am organizers have discussed this and know that the US has not yet determined its rep for the OG Qualifier.

Your logic is impeccable. I hope you're right because I actually don't dislike Nick Lee. 

10 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Not an original thought by me as someone else told me this, but the USAW should probably rethink this challenge process. It can be bad for both wrestlers as they wind up missing ranking events to prepare for this instead.

Doing them at Senior Nationals would have been ideal.

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Not an original thought by me as someone else told me this, but the USAW should probably rethink this challenge process. It can be bad for both wrestlers as they wind up missing ranking events to prepare for this instead.

Beats the old process of no challenge, and to be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it. You won the spot then in my eyes you have earned the right through the entirety of the season. The season begins the moment you win the spot and does not conclude until Olympic Team Trials scales open. It's both a perk and a heavy responsibility, nay duty, of being the world team rep.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Doing them at Senior Nationals would have been ideal.

Makes more sense to have them on weight a few weeks prior to the event they are challenging so they can decide to ramp up or taper down and adjust their OTT training schedule accordingly.

i am an idiot on the internet

13 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Beats the old process of no challenge, and to be honest I'm not sure how I feel about it. You won the spot then in my eyes you have earned the right through the entirety of the season. The season begins the moment you win the spot and does not conclude until Olympic Team Trials scales open. It's both a perk and a heavy responsibility, nay duty, of being the world team rep.

Makes more sense to have them on weight a few weeks prior to the event they are challenging so they can decide to ramp up or taper down and adjust their OTT training schedule accordingly.

I wasn't even thinking about it in terms of fairness. I was thinking that it is counter productive to USAW goals. If they want to earn medals at the Olympics and World Championships it makes sense to work on better seeds wherever possible (see Rivera, Sebastian). But having this challenge process discourages attendance at ranking events as Diakomihalis and Lee have had to prepare for this instead.

8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I wasn't even thinking about it in terms of fairness. I was thinking that it is counter productive to USAW goals. If they want to earn medals at the Olympics and World Championships it makes sense to work on better seeds wherever possible (see Rivera, Sebastian). But having this challenge process discourages attendance at ranking events as Diakomihalis and Lee have had to prepare for this instead.

I disagree but only because I believe Team USA should not be the gatekeeper for rankings tournies entries. I quite enjoyed Yianni/Retherford at Dogu as an example because it spoke to the Team USA "may the best ahtlete win" mantra. Only the highest ladder entry should be comped, but if someone wants to pay their way then let them enter. 

Also, not everyone goes to rankings events or they only attend a limited quantity so it is unfortunately a conundrum.

i am an idiot on the internet

Nick Lee wins Match #1 12-3 to take his Freestyle record against Johnny D to 4W - 0L.

After the Takedown to go up 4-3, Lee poured it on and it honestly looked like Johnny D was broken.  He might have gotten injured there (somehow).

Yianni did not look right after that head bang.  

Why is FLO only showing the one match?  Really strange.  There are actually fans of women's wrestling out there, and don't they (FLO) want to help build and support this base?

Edited by SocraTease

I didn't think the head bang was as hard as it might have been.  To the point I thought it could have been something else.

1 minute ago, SocraTease said:

Yianni did not look right after that head bang.  

Why is FLO only showing the one match?  Really strange.  There are actually fans of women's wrestling out there, and don't they want to build and support this base?

Because it is only one match on the schedule right now.