Daily Trivia (NCAA Tournament Edition)

cowcards

[mention=116]PortaJohn[/mention] I actually think that’s the answer. Iirc he’s been an official scorer at multiple NCAA tournaments. 

Until they made him wear socks. Or was it shoes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, 11986 said:

@PortaJohn I actually think that’s the answer. Iirc he’s been an official scorer at multiple NCAA tournaments. 

Because it's Friday we should have some fun.  The answer is Cael Sanderson.  Lehi was some prophet in the book of Mormon.  He led his family to the New World (America's).  Cael is the "Lehigh person".   Pat Santoro threw a chair at @gimpeltf...In true Cael Sanderson fashion

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

3 hours ago, 11986 said:

Hmm seems like there was a clue in another discussion about this one

Yes. My answer is Carlton Haselrig with 3 DII and 3 DI titles and Ken Mallory with 3 DII and one DI title. Both went to schools without wrestling teams and completed in their state tournament only once (PA & MA) as Seniors and won

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, Jim L said:

Yes. My answer is Carlton Haselrig with 3 DII and 3 DI titles and Ken Mallory with 3 DII and one DI title. Both went to schools without wrestling teams and completed in their state tournament only once (PA & MA) as Seniors and won

Great stuff

Our answer is Gene Manfrini wrestling for Columbia in 1951. He wrestled in HS for NY institute for the Blind. Lost first round to national champ Keith Young and came back with 2 wins in consis before bowing out to 3rd place finsher Byron Todd of Okie State in the blood round (4 places). 

• Fire 2

On 2/25/2024 at 10:41 AM, cowcards said:

Fehlbergs was correct. 

This is going to be a 2 answer question:

Back in the 20'-40's not wrestling in HS and being discovered during college intramural wrestling tournaments or because someone played football was decently common. However, as time has gone on that happens less and less. 

Name the last wrestler that didn't wrestle in HS but qualified for the national tournament?

AND

Name the 2x National Champ wrestler who was an all-state basketball player and only started wrestling in the military. 

As a follow-up to this.

In 2006 Dave Herman went 2-2 for Indiana. What's significant is that he only wrestled for a month during his sophomore year in HS before being expelled from school. They next time he did was at Indiana as a walk-on. 3 years later he is winning matches at NCAAs.

As close as you can get to "never" really. 

• Fire 1

Posted (edited)

This is double one (and sad). 

What 2x NQ actually died during a match?

What national runner-up was killed in a car accident on the way to a competition.

Edited by cowcards

On 3/5/2024 at 9:30 AM, cowcards said:

This is double one (and sad). 

What 2x NQ actually died during a match?

What national runner-up was killed in a car accident on the way to a competition.

Doug Bingham while wrestling for Utah in 1961.

Robert Murray wrestling for Cornell (IA) died while on a way to a meet in MN.

Name the wrestler who qualified for the NCAAs despite having his leg amputated below the leg and had a fingerless hand. 

Hint - It's not Robles...

Another Hint: He’s a current head coach in the NAIA.
  • Fire 3

Insert catchy tagline here. 

36 minutes ago, cowcards said:

Name the wrestler who qualified for the NCAAs despite having his leg amputated below the leg and had a fingerless hand. 

Hint - It's not Robles...

I’d love to see Robles and Sparks pair up to headline the Big10 this weekend.  

• 2 weeks later...

Been out of town and working on a website so I haven't been as active. But here is quick, easier one.

We all know that Wyatt Sheets was an AA from the 33rd seed. What wrestler finished in the blood round from that seed and came so close to beating Sheets for the distinction?

37 minutes ago, cowcards said:

Been out of town and working on a website so I haven't been as active. But here is quick, easier one.

We all know that Wyatt Sheets was an AA from the 33rd seed. What wrestler finished in the blood round from that seed and came so close to beating Sheets for the distinction?

Joseph Smith?

45 minutes ago, cowcards said:

8 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Joseph Smith?

Nevermind.  Just checked.  He lost R16

• Brain 1

Trivia question based off the missed weight thread.

Name the wrestler who was a National Champ the SAME year he missed weight at a lower weight and had to bump up a weight at the national tournament. 

This would be like Spencer Lee missing weight at 125, bumping up to 133 and winning it. 

7 minutes ago, cowcards said:

Trivia question based off the missed weight thread.

Name the wrestler who was a National Champ the SAME year he missed weight at a lower weight and had to bump up a weight at the national tournament. 

This would be like Spencer Lee missing weight at 125, bumping up to 133 and winning it. 

Is this over 40 years ago?

10 minutes ago, cowcards said:

Chris Taylor

• Haha 1