Daily Trivia (NCAA Tournament Edition)

cowcards

4 minutes ago, cowcards said:

Fehlbergs was correct. 

This is going to be a 2 answer question:

Back in the 20'-40's not wrestling in HS and being discovered during college intramural wrestling tournaments or because someone played football was decently common. However, as time has gone on that happens less and less. 

Name the last wrestler that didn't wrestle in HS but qualified for the national tournament?

AND

Name the 2x National Champ wrestler who was an all-state basketball player and only started wrestling in the military. 

This is good stuff man! And Google can't answer the question which makes it even better. 

• Fire 1

Clue for both -

The 2x national champ was also an olympian before he even wrestled in college.

The other is a current Women's collegiate head coach who wrestled for a DII program that has been dropped. 

Edited by cowcards

5 hours ago, Jim L said:

My favorite NCAA trivia question

Name two wrestlers with a combined 10 NCAA titles who did not have a HS wrestling team

I also believe that they each officially only wrestled one year in HS (as seniors) and both won a state title without a team.

• Fire 1

Did a quick google search trying to find this and didn't the answer, but lots of amazing stories about blind wrestlers and what they accomplished.  One of my HS coaches used to have us spar with our eyes closed, so to a certain extent I get how a blind wrestler can compete. Being able to attend a "regular" college and graduate is every bit as impressive to me.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, cowcards said:

Clue - 

He won his matches the same year his Ivy league school got their first AA. 

Fun fact - His HS also has had a 2nd NQ.

I love your trivia questions.  They've been fantastic but they're starting to make my head hurt

• Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

Here's a Lehigh piece of trivia- (and keep in mind that when the coaches heard the answer they wanted to throw things at me)

What Lehigh person scored the most points at NCAAs (career)?

44 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Here's a Lehigh piece of trivia- (and keep in mind that when the coaches heard the answer they wanted to throw things at me)

Yozzo?

3 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Is Robert Allman one?  I had to search quite painstakingly to find that

He isn't one that has competed at NCAAs, although he should've and was more than capable of winning matches. 

I'll narrow it down quite a bit more for you. His school was an original member of the EIWA.

• Fire 1

On 2/27/2024 at 6:49 AM, Jim L said:

My favorite NCAA trivia question

Name two wrestlers with a combined 10 NCAA titles who did not have a HS wrestling team

Hmm seems like there was a clue in another discussion about this one

On 2/29/2024 at 3:32 PM, cowcards said:

Multiple blind wrestlers have competed at the NCAA tournament. Who is the only one to win at least 1 match?

Kessell?  Oh wait, you said wrestlers.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 11986 said:

Guessing no off DNP, 3, 2,1 vs say Burley 1,2,2,1. But also thinking it may be a trick question. 

49 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

I thought Burley or Caruso, but neither would prompt folks to throw things at poor Gimp

Lieberman racked up quite a few points his senior year and won with a DQ in the finals stalling out Bud Palmer of Iowa.  Did Gable throw a chair at him?  Lieberman was known for his throws.  We give up @gimpeltf....I'm way too curious 

Edited by PortaJohn

5 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

It’s gimpeltf himself

• Haha 2