Brands Advice To Suspended Iowa Wrestlers: 'Be Ready'

There are an amazing number of people asking if Tom admitted his wrestlers broke an NCAA rule, in the face of a government investigator conducting the electronic equivalent of breaking and entering on untold numbers of people’s electronic devices.

Nevermind that the NCAA decision is a result of an illegal search, which has material NIL ramifications for these athletes, there are major MAJOR safety and security concerns about the investigators actions.  

For context, how many years in jail would a random adult male unaffiliated with the school get for geofencing a college dorm and getting found out for hacking into student electronic devices?  The state would throw the book at that theoretical person.

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Le duke said:

Over their replacements? Hill and Kennedy?

Unless Cass became a pinning machine, his likely 5th-7th place this year isn’t magically scoring 8 more points than a 1-2 or 2-2 Hill.

Nelson and Kennedy? That’s a wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brands and cass are almost guaranteed top 5. It is unknown if kennedy could place at 174 and hill more than likely wont either. Getting assad brands and cass back could easily be a 30 pt swing

10 hours ago, ionel said:

upstairs?  🤔

Well the Brands quote from the article is “I know one thing — we’ve got a lot of guys upstairs who are ready to go because of what happened, ..."

The assumption that they are drilling was aspirational and soley mine.  They may actually be upstairs logged onto a gambling site as far as I know.

Edited by swoopdown
  • Fire 1

12 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

There are an amazing number of people asking if Tom admitted his wrestlers broke an NCAA rule, in the face of a government investigator conducting the electronic equivalent of breaking and entering on untold numbers of people’s electronic devices.

Nevermind that the NCAA decision is a result of an illegal search, which has material NIL ramifications for these athletes, there are major MAJOR safety and security concerns about the investigators actions.  

Both things can be true at once.   The search may have been illegal, but the wrestlers screwed up by gambling.  Tom’s nephew in particular has admitted he did it, including betting on his own university.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, hawkguy said:

Brands and cass are almost guaranteed top 5. It is unknown if kennedy could place at 174 and hill more than likely wont either. Getting assad brands and cass back could easily be a 30 pt swing

Weird that everyone is assuming Hill at HWT.  Seems like it will most likely be Kueter, although he’s probably only good for a few more points than Hill himself.

30 seems like a stretch.  I’d guess in the 15 range.   Would still take at least one more PSU guy being out for the season to make it somewhat interesting. 

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Weird that everyone is assuming Hill at HWT.  Seems like it will most likely be Kueter, although he’s probably only good for a few more points than Hill himself.

30 seems like a stretch.  I’d guess in the 15 range.   Would still take at least one more PSU guy being out for the season to make it somewhat

30 is probably realistic if assad actually places which could happen because the weights not that deep. But based on last year it's very likely because brands scored 10 and tony 14.5 and brands has great potential to jump to 3rd with how the weight cleared

If kueter goes this year that would be terrible. Dude weighs maybe 220, and didn't really whoop a fringe qualifier like he should have. 

Edited by hawkguy

1 hour ago, hawkguy said:

30 is probably realistic if assad actually places which could happen because the weights not that deep. But based on last year it's very likely because brands scored 10 and tony 14.5 and brands has great potential to jump to 3rd with how the weight cleared

If kueter goes this year that would be terrible. Dude weighs maybe 220, and didn't really whoop a fringe qualifier like he should have. 

I have my doubts that Assad or Brands have been training. They thought they were done with wrestling until this week. Think about the tournament Real Woods had in 2021 and then discount it for them not being as good as Real Woods. No one gets better at wrestling by not wrestling.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, hawkguy said:

@ionel gets mad when I say this but Iowa’s linebackers coach pretty much said Kueter is expecting to start.  If his goal is the NFL, he’s not going to be around in 5 years (or maybe even less depending on how good he is at football).   Beating a national qualifier level guy in your first ever college match with a couple weeks of training for the season isn’t bad…

30 is possible, but still a stretch IMO

Edited by 1032004

19 hours ago, 1032004 said:

That wasn’t the question.  Has Tom acknowledged that his wrestlers screwed up?  I’m not sure but I don’t recall that he did.  Dresser has.

No, I don't believe Tom has acknowledged that. At least as far as I know. I've watched a few interviews with him regarding this and he only talks about how unfair the whole thing was.

17 hours ago, FanOfPurdueWrestling said:

When I was in school we had meetings at the beginning of each year about compliance- not accepting money for our likeness (has changed), no gambling, social media rules, etc. every college athlete knows what’s expected of them regardless if they attended the meeting. 

Oh I agree. Ignorance is not an acceptable excuse here. I'm just kind of surprised that Nelson would admit this publicly to be honest.

1 hour ago, swoopdown said:

Well the Brands quote from the article is “I know one thing — we’ve got a lot of guys upstairs who are ready to go because of what happened, ..."

The assumption that they are drilling was aspirational and soley mine.  They may actually be upstairs logged onto a gambling site as far as I know.

So would it be a safe bet to say Iowa's training & drilling is above Penn State's level? 😉

• Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I have my doubts that Assad or Brands have been training. They thought they were done with wrestling until this week. Think about the tournament Real Woods had in 2021 and then discount it for them not being as good as Real Woods. No one gets better at wrestling by not wrestling.

I’m sure they’ve been training.  I question how close they are to weight though.  I’d be kinda surprised to see Nelson at 174, especially with Kennedy doing fairly well.

But probably all a moot point considering it seems highly unlikely the NCAA reduces their suspension

Edited by 1032004

1 hour ago, ionel said:

So would it be a safe bet to say Iowa's training & drilling is above Penn State's level? 😉

Depends on the level of Brand's base of opoerations relative to Cael for issuing statements.  If Brand's operates out of hell, as as implied by some on this forum, then prossibly not.  Unless Mormans occupy a lower level of hell then Hawkeyes.   After I die I'll fully expolore hell and post some answers provided I can go low enought to find Cinnanbon and hack his computer.   Post could be at any time soon because I'm a boomer.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I’m sure they’ve been training.  I question how close they are to weight though.  I’d be kinda surprised to see Nelson at 174, especially with Kennedy doing fairly well.

But probably all a moot point considering it seems highly unlikely the NCAA reduces their suspension

I know Kennedy has won 3 in a row but he beat the #41, #51 and #52 guys per wrestlestat.  Brands is the returning 5th place finisher. 

I don't think it matters since they are not going to get their eligibility back but Nelson would be the guy. 

1 hour ago, swoopdown said:

Depends on the level of Brand's base of opoerations relative to Cael for issuing statements.  If Brand's operates out of hell, as as implied by some on this forum, then prossibly not.  Unless Mormans occupy a lower level of hell then Hawkeyes.   After I die I'll fully expolore hell and post some answers provided I can go low enought to find Cinnanbon and hack his computer.   Post could be at any time soon because I'm a boomer.

Good info.  Maybe Cael makes his guys drill in the basement of hell just to be ready for Iowa.

1 hour ago, Dogbone said:

I know Kennedy has won 3 in a row but he beat the #41, #51 and #52 guys per wrestlestat.  Brands is the returning 5th place finisher. 

I don't think it matters since they are not going to get their eligibility back but Nelson would be the guy. 

Agree, I was more saying I’m not sure if he could make 174

• Fire 1

22 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

We don't have to use alleged anymore. The agent said he used a warrantless geofence in his deposition given under oath.

To be more specific, Ludwick said in his depo that he believed Sanger used a warrantless geofence (Kabana) to collect data, so he and other agents are backed away from it, but not before interviewing athlete(s) who confessed.

"After Sanger noticed that people opened online betting apps inside the dorm, according to the motion, his superiors rejected his request to investigate further. Sanger still allegedly probed the athletics building, as well. When the software revealed that people inside the building opened betting apps, according to the motion, Sanger’s bosses gave him permission to conduct a broader investigation. [It's crazy that his "bosses" didn't know/ask if he had a warrant. This could be a gray area in the law around geofencing (monitoring of account records).]

Sandy's motion Tuesday echoes that claim, saying Ludwick in his deposition testified he believed the DCI had conducted an illegal search of online account records without reasonable suspicion or obtaining a warrant to limit the search's scope. Ludwick testified that "numerous" DCI agents have likewise refused to participate in what they believe is an illegal investigation."

3 hours ago, swoopdown said:

Who has ever implied this and when?

I want to know where their sources are.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 hours ago, Dogbone said:

You really think Brands is close to 174 right now?

I would bet he goes 184 and Assad at 197, if he beats Glazier out, with Cassioppi at 285 (he would be a ~230lber).

The one this ends up screwing again would be Swafford.

28 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I would bet he goes 184 and Assad at 197, if he beats Glazier out, with Cassioppi at 285 (he would be a ~230lber).

Today? No.  But I view it as 100% hypothetical and if he was given the green light today, I think he could make 174 by March. 

Swafford is a great story but he is probably a fringe NC and not a AA threat.  I don't think he transferred in expecting to start.

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Oh I agree. Ignorance is not an acceptable excuse here. I'm just kind of surprised that Nelson would admit this publicly to be honest.

Hey, it's Iowa.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Where’s Swafford been?  Injured?

44 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Where’s Swafford been?  Injured?

They nailed him on another sweep at a later date.  The week if the Iowa State dual, I think?

2 hours ago, Dogbone said:

Today? No.  But I view it as 100% hypothetical and if he was given the green light today, I think he could make 174 by March. 

Swafford is a great story but he is probably a fringe NC and not a AA threat.  I don't think he transferred in expecting to start.

If he were to going 174 I like his chance to AA.  Low and not a certainty, but definitely in contention.

At 184 it drops significantly, but I agree.  I like his story. He absolutely expected to start, though.