Razambek Zhamalov to Uzbekistan

2x Russian national champion and Individual World Cup gold medallist at 74kg, Razambek Zhamalov has transferred to Uzbekistan from Russia/AIN.  

Assuming he beats Bekbulatov for the 74kg spot, the Olympics/Worlds at 74 has just become a little more stacked internationally.

Some say that Zhamalov can easily become an Olympic/World champion, but he has been injured very often which has prevented him from ever competing at the world stage/Sidakov also beat him.

I think he is a strong player for a medal at the Olympics.  I think Dake would beat him and Sidakov again.  Time will tell

https://uww.org/athletes/zhamalov-razambek

• Fire 2

2x Russian national champion and Individual World Cup gold medallist at 74kg, Razambek Zhamalov has transferred to Uzbekistan from Russia/AIN.  

Assuming he beats Bekbulatov for the 74kg spot, the Olympics/Worlds at 74 has just become a little more stacked internationally.

Some say that Zhamalov can easily become an Olympic/World champion, but he has been injured very often which has prevented him from ever competing at the world stage/Sidakov also beat him.

I think he is a strong player for a medal at the Olympics.  I think Dake would beat him and Sidakov again.  Time will tell

Is Bekzod officially retired now?

Because that dude is a tough out and repped Uzbekistan at the last two OLY games, making the bronze medal Marc each time and winning one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bekzod has been wrestling 79 KG and had even entered 86 KG a few times (I don't know if he actually wrestled) in many international tournaments.

Does Uzbekistan have a high level 86 KG guy?  Who's to say neither of the aforementioned gents can't beat out that guy?

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Bekzod has been wrestling 79 KG and had even entered 86 KG a few times (I don't know if he actually wrestled) in many international tournaments.
Does Uzbekistan have a high level 86 KG guy?  Who's to say neither of the aforementioned gents can't beat out that guy?

Bekzod likes to wrestle, even when he’s fat.

Just took bronze at Yarygin today, at 74kg, by the way.

• Fire 1

On 1/22/2024 at 7:58 PM, KingOtoguro said:

you can really tell zhamalov is coached by satiev with how he wrestles I think 2022 Russian nationals zhamalov could beat anyone I also think hes still only 25 certainly makes what was already probably the deepest or second deepest weight that much more interesting

he finished with bronze medal at the Yarygin a few days ago lol. Probably he's not fat 

I’m suggesting that Bekzod likes to compete. Even when he’s not in the best shape. Thus, his various appearances at 79 and 86kg over the years.

Anyone who takes a medal at Yarygin is in great shape.

I don’t believe the Paris Olympic Games are on the table. Isn’t there a waiting period for those who change their named country?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

I don’t believe the Paris Olympic Games are on the table. Isn’t there a waiting period for those who change their named country?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If an athlete has represented one country on the international stage, the rule is that competitor must wait three years before they can represent another country at the Olympics. However, the three year waiting period can be reduced or eliminated if all the involved National Olympic Committees and the relevant international sporting federation are in agreement.

Very rarely do you see an example of the first country which was defected agreeing to a waiver for the athlete to join the second country.

https://olympics.com/ioc/faq/competing-and-being-part-of-the-games/can-i-compete-for-another-team-than-my-nationality

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

22 hours ago, Radik of themat.com forums said:

he finished with bronze medal at the Yarygin a few days ago lol. Probably he's not fat 

Also in addition to what @Le dukehas said, if Bekzod cannot beat Zhamlov out for the spot and does not yet wish to retire, 86 KG might be the only option for him.

On 2/5/2024 at 9:57 PM, KingOtoguro said:

Zhamalov is one of the best in the world, but lacks international experience.  He had a close match with Sidakov back in 2021.  I don't favor him to beat Dake or Sidakov.  

Close match?  Didn't he beat him?

18 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

he gave up two pushouts in like the last 15 seconds in 2021 and then tsebalov beat sidakov in 2020 and zhamalov won that Russian nationals 

Edited by Truzzcat
  • Fire 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 4:41 PM, nhs67 said:

Zhamalov, for some reason, thought he had criteria and that a passivity + push-out was the same as a takedown...  he couldn't score and went all 6 minutes against the most clutch wrestler on the planet 

Zhamalov ain't "Easily" winning a thing. 
Tough as nails and could upset anyone on any given day, but he's the same as Tsabalov or Baev or pick one. If they win a world title it'll be at a non-olympic weight, given a favorable draw. 

He is tough though, seems like Russians have diminished results when they jump countries though. (not all) but I think that constant grind to make the team is a way of constantly getting better. Remove the hurdle, meh, takes some adjusting 

31 minutes ago, Spladle08 said:

Tough as nails and could upset anyone on any given day, but he's the same as Tsabalov or Baev or pick one. If they win a world title it'll be at a non-olympic weight, given a favorable draw. 

He is tough though, seems like Russians have diminished results when they jump countries though. (not all) but I think that constant grind to make the team is a way of constantly getting better. Remove the hurdle, meh, takes some adjusting 

I wonder if training situations change when you transfer too. I would imagine they are not super keen on the idea that someone from another nation could take a medal. Thats why im interested to see how taz does moving forward being the primary threat to Sadulaev. All that said I think zhamolov could absolutely win a gold medal if hes healthy hes incredible at his best.

• Fire 1

On 2/26/2024 at 5:11 PM, Spladle08 said:

He is better than both Baev and Tsabolov, but he really lacks international experience.  Baev stopped him before going to the worlds and Sidakov, the olympics.  Salkazanov beat him in his last international tournament, and then Chamizo took away the bronze.  Zhamalov is a threat, but I favor both Dake and Sidakov over him.  Salkazanov could be no.3 in the world, too.

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, KingOtoguro said:

He is better than both Baev and Tsabolov, but he really lacks international experience.  Baev stopped him before going to the worlds and Sidakov, the olympics.  Salkazanov beat him in his last international tournament, and then Chamizo took away the bronze.  Zhamalov is a threat, but I favor both Dake and Sidakov over him.  Salkazanov could be no.3 in the world, too.

I think he was the clear #2 in Russia having beaten baev the last two times they wrestled 9-1 and 9-3 however that was almost 18months ago you could argue bizhoev or valiev but Zhamolov to me is the most talented guy at the weight. As you said he definitely lacks experience and savviness as well as perhaps the mental to win consistently but I think he can beat anyone in a given match certainly not a guy id want to draw in before the semis.

• Fire 1

15 hours ago, KingOtoguro said:

I meant to respond to this yesterday. When he was in peak form, he really was/is elite, but I guess he's more like Musukaev to me. The talent is always going to be there, but so will the hurdles. For Mus it was pretty much his stamina (and the weight is wildly deep). For Zhamalov, injuries/opportunity,  have kind of prevented him from advancing on the world-stage. Again, without the obstacle of trying to overcome the Russian field for the spot, I'm not sure if it my damage his overall work-ethic, add in the condition  of his health. I think he provides a similar hurdle as Baev or Salk, or Tsabalov, any of those 2nd tier guys. I'd be surprised if he beat any of the current top guys at the worlds. But maybe once Sidakov, Dake, Chamizo walk away, he takes the reigns, but I just don't see him as a consistent finalist, now or in the future. I hope he proves me wrong! I love to see, somebody take a chance on themselves and WIN

Edited by Spladle08
  • Fire 1