The Croatia (Zagreb) Open Ranking Series Tournament

Another shot by Gwiaz.  Stuffed this time by Deng.  Called up.  1M49S to go, 4-3 for Gwiaz still.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Another shot by Gwiaz and a go-behind by Deng.

5-4 Deng with 1M21S to go.  Gwiaz just not making it deep enough and Deng is HEAVY.

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

I did that a few years ago waterskiing. Brutal.

It makes me think that it wasn't nearly as bad as we might have thought.

Gwiazdowski loses to Deng with a ~12-0 shots taken spread.

Parris lost to Masoumi with a ~42-0 shots taken spread.

We are aggressive and it has cost us at 125 KG.

• Fire 3

They are waiting on time for a few matches to start due to required wait time.

Trumble in two on Mat B.

• Fire 1

1) Told everyone that Geno/Zare wouldn't happen.

2) Masoumi would phuck up Steveson. Matchups make matches and that is a BAD matchup.

3) Parris will either figure out Masoumi or that was the closest they will ever be again. No in between.

4) Snyder gonna Snyder. Beast and so appreciative he and Gwiz are still leaders of the team.

5) Thank god we are doing better than day 1 because yesterday was brutal.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

1) Told everyone that Geno/Zare wouldn't happen.

2) Masoumi would phuck up Steveson. Matchups make matches and that is a BAD matchup.

3) Parris will either figure out Masoumi or that was the closest they will ever be again. No in between.

4) Snyder gonna Snyder. Beast and so appreciative he and Gwiz are still leaders of the team.

5) Thank god we are doing better than day 1 because yesterday was brutal.

Masoumi hasn't seen Steveson's power and quickness. Steveson would need to be careful of those underhooks which gave Parris issues in today's match but I think Steveson beats Masoumi and/or Zare.

• Fire 1

PNWfan

24 minutes ago, PNWfan said:

Masoumi hasn't seen Steveson's power and quickness. Steveson would need to be careful of those underhooks which gave Parris issues in today's match but I think Steveson beats Masoumi and/or Zare.

Unfortunately, we will probably never know. 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Never.

Unless WWE calls up Zare or Masoumi.

What if Gable makes a run for another gold in this summer? I'd assume at that point there is a more than decent chance he would face Zare or Masoumi, depending on who Iran's Olympic rep is.

PNWfan

Thanks to @nhs67 for the American play-by-play commentary. I watched Isaac Trumble beat Luuuke Luffman in the Midlands finals 2-1 less than two weeks ago, and he's wrestling for Bronze here. Pretty wild ride for him. 

As for Gable, he won Olympic Gold. We want to see him wrestle Freestyle again, but it'd be too big a risk. 

Did any American women wrestle today? I see 72 kg had a pool of two wrestlers? I didn't see any Americans in the women's results. 

Time for Finals. 

• Fire 1

Nokhodi takes the entire second period to do absolutely nothing except run.  Wins the match 6-0 for Gold over Kentchadze.

That arm drag slide by with the foot tripping underneath looks like the new "it" international takedown. Saw a lot of it yesterday, and now in the finals at 79 kg. 

Brit announcer says Eric Schultz is from ILLINOIS but was originally from Nebraska. That was backwards. However, I think Schultz does keep his hometown in the state. Nate Jackson is also an ILLINOIS high school state champion. 

22 hours ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Here's how we get back at the Pan Am Games for giving us an Australian wrestling commentator and the UWW for providing an Englishman: We send over somebody from Tennessee to announce the 2024 Cricket World Cup.  

Another thing, how do Penn State fans feel about Jason Nolf (not my favorite wrestler) being number two in the United States at 74 kg behind Kyle Dake, who also wrestles for the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club, but never wrestled for PSU? 

I'm fine with Jason Nolf being number two in the United States at 74 kg behind Kyle Dake (not my favorite wrestler).  But hopefully Nolf gets even better.

• Haha 1

Good match, but Schultz loses 7-8. Really hoped that Eric had worn him out earlier in the first period. 

Question for our rules/strategy folks: If you are an American and really suck at gut wrenches and leg laces, and you're chasing a lead, why not just stand up right away after a takedown? Get a quick restart. At least just sit there and look up at the ref immediately, no? 

1 minute ago, ILLINIWrestlingBlog said:

Good match, but Schultz loses 7-8. Really hoped that Eric had worn him out earlier in the first period. 

Question for our rules/strategy folks: If you are an American and really suck at gut wrenches and leg laces, and you're chasing a lead, why not just stand up right away after a takedown? Get a quick restart. At least just sit there and look up at the ref immediately, no? 

You have to 'show' effort at turning or you'll get penalized.

• Fire 1