Racist Wrestling Fans

The idea of ‘Us’ vs ‘Them’ has very deep roots in history and how our brain works.  Being racist is an easy and lazy way to get the dopamine fix. ‘I feel better and am happier by considering myself and those I associate with as better than those people.’

Our society is making progress in fighting against racism and I hope that progress continues.  Continues to take focus.  This thread helps.

I will caution about twitter comments though.  We have plenty of proof of ‘Bad actors’ … often backed by antagonistic countries … that are trying to sow division and unrest.  Don’t be a lemming.   

• Fire 2

23 minutes ago, Dark Energy said:

I will caution about twitter comments though.  We have plenty of proof of ‘Bad actors’ … often backed by antagonistic countries … that are trying to sow division and unrest.  Don’t be a lemming.   

Because I was bored and couldn’t fall back asleep when I originally made this post, I clicked on the profiles of the comments in question.

I’m no forensic IT dude, but while there may have been a bit of trolling involved, they all made semi-regular posts about random topics unrelated to racism that interested them, so I did not get the impression that any were “bad actors,” but who knows.

And like I said earlier, I totally get that X/Twitter is a cesspool.  But that particular post seemed worse than usual at least in regards to wrestling conversation.

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Dark Energy said:

The idea of ‘Us’ vs ‘Them’ has very deep roots in history and how our brain works.  Being racist is an easy and lazy way to get the dopamine fix. ‘I feel better and am happier by considering myself and those I associate with as better than those people.’

Our society is making progress in fighting against racism and I hope that progress continues.  Continues to take focus.  This thread helps.

Exactly.   Since skin color is one of the first and easiest things we notice about people, that's why racism happens, IMO.  Let's instead stick to the more evolved form... Screaming at the TV on Sunday afternoon based on the color of people's jerseys.   And, you're also exactly correct about your warning.   I call them sheep but lemming is better.

“You can hate a man for many reasons. Color is not one of them.”

— Pee Wee Reese

Edited by BerniePragle
  • Fire 2

23 hours ago, jackwebster said:

"Race" is about more than skin as the George Hamilton pic above makes clear. Racial identity is about ideas, a bunch of ideas, bunch of incredibly complicated and contradictory ideas.

2nd time this topic someone has tried to make up thier own definition of race or racism. 2+2=5

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

30 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

2nd time this topic someone has tried to make up thier own definition of race or racism. 2+2=5

The definition of "race" does have different definitions but in terms to how its generally applied in the US it is almost exclusively synonymous with skin color.  For example, sub groups in Europe; Saxons, Finns, Slavs would be considered different "races" despite sharing a similar skin complexion.  This idea is foreign to us in the States   

Edited by PortaJohn

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

26 minutes ago, jackwebster said:

How do you think definitions are made? The Holy Spirit? 

theyre formed by concensus, which is why the conversation can't move forward. I'm not trying to be ugly about this, but the conversation is going to go nowhere, this is world view type difference and people need almost religious experiences to change their world view.

1 minute ago, Hammerlock3 said:

theyre formed by concensus, which is why the conversation can't move forward. I'm not trying to be ugly about this, but the conversation is going to go nowhere, this is world view type difference and people need almost religious experiences to change their world view.

and what's the concensus?

5 minutes ago, ionel said:

and what's the concensus?

there is none so we can't talk. From my perspective people keep making up their own definitions for a very simple word and if i was trying to steel man the opposition I'd say you thought i was being simplistic and belligerent.

2 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

there is none so we can't talk. From my perspective people keep making up their own definitions for a very simple word and if i was trying to steel man the opposition I'd say you thought i was being simplistic and belligerent.

So what are the simple definitions of race and racism?  If it’s so simple it shouldn’t be hard for you to tell us

3 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

So then its hard to be racist or maybe hard not to be? 

12 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

You fu ckers are turning this into the Non Wrestling Topic board. FFS quit being cunty...

Merry Christmas:classic_smile:

Maybe Bob will come along and change the thread title so we can talk about something completely different?  🤨

38 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

You fu ckers are turning this into the Non Wrestling Topic board. FFS quit being cunty...

Merry Christmas:classic_smile:

I don't know if that was directed at me??

Mine was meant to get a laugh.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Wild Bill trying to define "is".  Is weed legal in OH?  If not, maybe it ought to be.

Merry Christmas to you too.

• Fire 2