Eiwa / Ivys

Antitroll2828

9 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

We're a lot younger than you. She still has hope...

Makes sense ... I'm sure mine has given up on change and hope.  Think she voted for Obama hoping for change ... I still stayed the same, prob way too late now.  

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I thought FRL summarized it well.  They took 1 good conference and turned it into 2 bad ones…

It took one 40-bid allocated conference and made it two that would have earned 24 and 23 bids before at-larges last year. 

Contraction of conferences has been a negative for the sport. Anytime you give an all-sports conference a chance to remove sponsorship, it's not good for the existing teams. The Ivy officially running a tournament is a good thing. Equitable access to championships is logical and makes sense. Have to look at things from outside of the wrestling world. We can't be the outliers or exceptions. The problem is realignment will never fully be done and the non-revenue/Olympic sports will always be along for the ride. The Ivy is the one D1 conference that is most immune to realignment. My guess is their Presidents feel aligning with schools to access the championships should be with the schools that have the same admissions and eligibility requirements. The EIWA has a great history. It can still exist, but we need to think about it not in the traditional concept. My suggestion this past summer was to keep the EIWA tournament running it with the membership, but do it in January and make it a destination event at the Palestra, Stabler or something like that. There's a lot more details to that idea, but the last 20+ years, the conference additions have. been more due to conferences dissolving (CAA, East Region) than addition that aligned with the EIWA's tradition. I love the EIWA, but the super affiliate-laden conferences aren't necessarily a good thing. 

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays wrestling fans! 

• Fire 7

Insert catchy tagline here. 

13 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

It took one 40-bid allocated conference and made it two that would have earned 24 and 23 bids before at-larges last year. 

Contraction of conferences has been a negative for the sport. Anytime you give an all-sports conference a chance to remove sponsorship, it's not good for the existing teams. The Ivy officially running a tournament is a good thing. Equitable access to championships is logical and makes sense. Have to look at things from outside of the wrestling world. We can't be the outliers or exceptions. The problem is realignment will never fully be done and the non-revenue/Olympic sports will always be along for the ride. The Ivy is the one D1 conference that is most immune to realignment. My guess is their Presidents feel aligning with schools to access the championships should be with the schools that have the same admissions and eligibility requirements. The EIWA has a great history. It can still exist, but we need to think about it not in the traditional concept. My suggestion this past summer was to keep the EIWA tournament running it with the membership, but do it in January and make it a destination event at the Palestra, Stabler or something like that. There's a lot more details to that idea, but the last 20+ years, the conference additions have. been more due to conferences dissolving (CAA, East Region) than addition that aligned with the EIWA's tradition. I love the EIWA, but the super affiliate-laden conferences aren't necessarily a good thing. 

Anyway, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays wrestling fans! 

JB just nailed it.

• Fire 1

Its going to put a lot of pressure on everyone except Cornell. Maybe it pushes to motivate yale and dart to join the club again. Doubtful tho. 

• Princeton: new HC might have growing pains, could feel pressure to equal success of recent past
  • Brown: New-ish HC, last one was let go, possibly for not having enough success
  • Harvard: He's not going anywhere any time soon, no pressure on him
  • Columbia: Young HC, building is program, might get some pressure to see the fruits of the last few years
  • Penn: Not much success to speak of but they seem unconcerned, will shine a big spot light on their underperformance 
  • Cornell: they will look to dominate this smaller pond

How does this effect remaining EIWA teams?

Lehigh better step up. Without Cornell they will be the next biggest fish. If they stumble right out of the gate it might be time for Santoro to hand over the reigns or Dillon might move on. 

Might be a bottle neck at the top. I think there could be some tight team races. Fewer qualifying spots could make for some contentious matches in the later rounds.

Upside: maybe someone other than Bucknell, Binghamton, Lehigh, or Hofstra could host the tourney.