Generational Recruits

Lleynor

5 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I remember McCauley getting absolutely schooled by backups at the Cowboy Open.

He was a HEW case. Travelled all over the country from the time he was 5-6 years old. He did rediscover some of that passion for wrestling at UNK and I believe he is coaching HS wrestling now.

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, Warm Up Champ said:

145lbs.  Joe Heskett didn't even win the tourney.  The top 4 at that weight was stacked!  I believe they all were college AAs.  The early Reno TOC tournaments were so tough.  NCAA champs and AAs throughout.

image.PNG

Ladies and gentleman, I present to you the president of the Willie Saylor fan club! 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, MNRodent said:

Cael and Cole were about the same weight in high school and were very well known on the freestyle circuit at the time.  I think Cael was considered only slightly better than Cole.  Cael, along with Joe Heskett and David Kjellgard (sp) were probably among the top high school prospects from that class, but I don't think Cael was considered ahead of those others, and in fact lost to Kjellgard at Jr. Natls.

Destin McCauley seems like ancient history, but he was actually on an Apple Valley team with Mark Hall (Sr. and 7th grader).  These were the days when Apple Valley had state title contenders at almost every weight (many move-ins) and as poorwrestler mentioned above, were absolutely hated by high school wrestling fans from other schools.

I believe Cael won double crowns at Cadet Nationals at 143lbs, in Lincoln (can't remember but think Juniors where in St. Louis that year), after competing at 112 or 121 a year prior. It was not common for guys to jump that many weights back then. That was his first big jump, and he was highly touted. 

41 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I believe Cael won double crowns at Cadet Nationals at 143lbs, in Lincoln (can't remember but think Juniors where in St. Louis that year), after competing at 112 or 121 a year prior. It was not common for guys to jump that many weights back then. That was his first big jump, and he was highly touted. 

He was 3rd and 1st at 165 his senior year in 1997 - not sure about junior year.  The talent in this tournament was crazy. 

https://washingtonwrestlingreport.net/wp-content/uploads/1997/97jrnat.htm

Edited by Idaho

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, jross said:

Cael lost to these guys around high school age and perhaps more before college.  Small list.

Tom Meacham BYU
Joe Heskett Iowa State 4xAA, National Champ
Brian Burrows Oklahoma State, Prison
David Kjeldgaard Oklahoma, Injured

In the '90s, appearing in Sports Illustrated and Wrestling magazines was good publicity.  While Cael was as good if not better than his brothers, I don't see how anyone could know he'd be a generational recruit.  

Brian Burrows threw his wrestling career away his freshman year of college. I think he would have been an NCAA champ (multiple) had he not did what he did. He was an incredible talent. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Brian Burrows threw his wrestling career away his freshman year of college. I think he would have been an NCAA champ (multiple) had he not did what he did. He was an incredible talent. 

Hey, Feaucuntibon.

Howareyehnow?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

I am fantastic and yourself?

Pretty well.

You know it's pretty easy to trace your IP and know exactly who you are, as well as your other accounts, correct?

Just now, nhs67 said:

Pretty well.

You know it's pretty easy to trace your IP and know exactly who you are, as well as your other accounts, correct?

Account(s) <- for clarity...

17 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Pretty well.

Sure, an admin can. You can't.

If any admin from this site wants to publicly state whether I have more than one account here they can. They can see any IP address I've used to post here with any account. I don't care if they want to tell people I have one account.

If you think you can see my IP address then go ahead and reply to this and post the IP addresses and the usernames of mine. You're only going to find one, and it's this one. I don't know why you want me to be more than one account here so badly.

Edited by JimmyCinnabon

17 minutes ago, Warm Up Champ said:

This is taking this thread a bit off topic, I apologize.  Here is the link to the 2001 RTOC program.  On page 46 it shows high school placers, from 1996-2000.  There are definitely some generational recruits in there.

https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/16408439/rtoc-program-2001-reno-tournament-of-champions

Nice..That's the years I'm looking for,  97' & 98' timeframe. It be nice to see brackets.  It's fun to see things from long ago when you can't remember yesterday. 

The term "generational talent" get thrown around a bit willy-nilly for my liking. A generational talent is one whom would be considered the best/most talented of their generation. For this current group of wrestlers I believe the generational talent should be assigned to Gable Steveson. 

13 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Says who?

Says me. I said it. You quoted me. It's literally impossible to tie me to any other account that posts here. You can waste all the time you want trying. And even if you were an admin who had access to the IP addresses you would never ever find more than one account here posting from the same IP address as me because it simply does not exist. 

And again, any admin that is reading these, feel free to confirm this.

However, if I did make a second account here it would be nhs_67. That much I can guarantee. 👊

Edited by JimmyCinnabon

1 hour ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Says me. I said it. You quoted me. It's literally impossible to tie me to any other account that posts here. You can waste all the time you want trying. And even if you were an admin who had access to the IP addresses you would never ever find more than one account here posting from the same IP address as me because it simply does not exist. 

And again, any admin that is reading these, feel free to confirm this.

However, if I did make a second account here it would be nhs_67. That much I can guarantee. 👊

Right.

Cool story, bro.

You want a cookie?