November Gable Steveson update

TNwrestling

14 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

Putting guys over means making them look strong. You're helping them "get over" with the crowd. You don't have to lose to put someone over. You can win and still make them look strong. I doubt that's the issue.

From what I've seen of him in the ring (the few times he's been in) he isn't unsafe either. Maybe splitting his time between the OTC and WWE developmental caught up with him and he fell back training wise. However, two years is a long time to train at their training center and not progress. 

It also could be the fact he has the sexual assault allegations, although there are plenty of people who still work there who have done worse. Their chairman, for instance, Vince McMahon. So I doubt that's the reason either.

I really, truly believe that he has 0 charisma and that's the issue. You say you can teach someone to talk on a mic, but either you're capable of talking or not. Either you're awkward or you're not. I've seen plenty of guys on the indie circuit be advertised as the next big thing but when put on the spot, with a mic, they crack. 

Again, I don't know what the issue is, if there even is an issue. I was purely speculating based on how I understand the business and what the things are that I understand will hold someone back. It could be charisma like you said, I don't know. Based on what I've seen from him in interviews he doesn't appear to be a naturally charismatic person so that could be it. 

There are two other examples of guys like him that I can remember entering the WWE (WWF at the time) and those are Kurt Angle and Mark Henry. When they first came in they were immediately given a push. Gable has not. Historically those kinds of guys are not put on a shelf once they are introduced. However, things are very different now than they were in the 90's. 

Edited by JimmyCinnabon

41 minutes ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

Again, I don't know what the issue is, if there even is an issue. I was purely speculating based on how I understand the business and what the things are that I understand will hold someone back. It could be charisma like you said, I don't know. Based on what I've seen from him in interviews he doesn't appear to be a naturally charismatic person so that could be it. 

There are two other examples of guys like him that I can remember entering the WWE (WWF at the time) and those are Kurt Angle and Mark Henry. When they first came in they were immediately given a push. Gable has not. Historically those kinds of guys are not put on a shelf once they are introduced. However, things are very different now than they were in the 90's. 

I think when they signed him they thought they had another Kurt Angle. But there will only ever be one. There are a few guys on their roster now that had outstanding careers on a mat, Chas Betts (Chad Gable) and Jacob Kasper (Julius Creed) are the fist two that come to mind. Both charismatic and extremely talented in the ring. 

7 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

I think when they signed him they thought they had another Kurt Angle. But there will only ever be one. There are a few guys on their roster now that had outstanding careers on a mat, Chas Betts (Chad Gable) and Jacob Kasper (Julius Creed) are the fist two that come to mind. Both charismatic and extremely talented in the ring. 

Neither Chad Gable nor Jacob Kasper have anywhere near the real wrestling credentials that Gable has either. So maybe you're right in that it's the charisma/mic aspect that is holding him back because I doubt the average fan even knows those guys were NCAA wrestlers but I'll bet everybody knows who Gable Steveson is, considering Gable didn't even have to change his name and take on a gimmick in WWE. He already had name recognition and his gimmick is just his real life accolades. He already had such an advantage to go to WWE that it is sort of mind boggling that he is relegated to house shows. 

Edited by JimmyCinnabon

1 hour ago, PSULou64 said:

Ok, forgive me because of my lack of knowledge about professional wrestling but I have a question.  If they feel that he doesn't have charisma can't they change his brand?  What I mean is maybe the all American hero, wrestling champion thing doesn't work for him at that level?  Maybe he pulls off a "villain" role better?  Do they still do guys in masks like Mankind or Kane?  It just feels like they/he are trying to use the wrestling he's really good at to boost and prop up the wrestling that maybe he isn't so good at? I think that's rubbing some people the wrong way a bit.

They COULD change him from face to heel, yes. However, if you're awkward getting people to like you you're going to come off as fake (more fake than usual) as a heel. 

For referece, this is waht they did with Angle. He came out and was boo'd his first time so they flipped him to a heel. Slowly he got over becuase he was extremely charismatic. Heel or face, Gable just isnt charismatic. 

That isnt a dig on him either. It just is what it is. 

A rather big difference is Jakob Casper can do a standing backflip and Steveson can only get it done with a 25 ft running roundoff launchpad. He's a beyond-elite level of athleticism but he might just not be the type of athlete that WWE is looking for because Vince McMahon doesn't care about your quicktwitch ability to snap down and go behind during a scripted play.

i am an idiot on the internet

23 hours ago, JimmyCinnabon said:

I don't think he will ever have a problem athletically however from what I understand about the business is that it's more than athleticism when it comes down to it. There are a few things that really hold guys back.

1. Being careless in the ring. If you aren't safe to work with you're not going to make it. 

2. Not selling moves. If you aren't willing to sell things or you simply aren't good at the acting bit of it you won't make it.

3. Not willing to put guys over. It doesn't matter what real credentials you have in real competitive sports, those mean nothing in the business. You put guys over or you aren't going to be working. An ego coming from actual wrestling can certainly be hard to get over when it comes to putting guys over.

Plenty of guys have made it in the business with poor mic skills, which can be worked on but the three things I mentioned, as far as I have been able to tell, are huge deals and if Gable falls into just one of those categories then they may be not very happy with him.

I heard on a podcast that a lot of college and freestyle wrestlers who go pro are usually pretty good about #1 and not getting injured themselves, but struggle with basic stuff like not having your back towards the camera during a move and slowing the pace of the action (not trying to do too much too quickly) so the audience can take it in and react. Not willing to put guys over makes sense too. That, and having the charisma to sell their persona which is a big challenge for all pro wrestlers.

I'm not sure if the problem is Gable or the way WWE is developing pro wrestlers. Didn't Angle go through a long process learning all this stuff before making his debut on TV? Now it's more of a sink or swim model and Gable will need to figure things out quickly.

Seems like a lot of WWE fans are hating on Gable. Why doesn't he lean into that and go full heel, make them really despise him? That would give him immediate attention and jumpstart his pro wrestling persona. Maybe he's already doing that, idk because I don't keep up with WWE.

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I heard on a podcast that a lot of college and freestyle wrestlers who go pro are usually pretty good about #1 and not getting injured themselves, but struggle with basic stuff like not having your back towards the camera during a move and slowing the pace of the action (not trying to do too much too quickly) so the audience can take it in and react. Not willing to put guys over makes sense too. That, and having the charisma to sell their persona which is a big challenge for all pro wrestlers.

I'm not sure if the problem is Gable or the way WWE is developing pro wrestlers. Didn't Angle go through a long process learning all this stuff before making his debut on TV? Now it's more of a sink or swim model and Gable will need to figure things out quickly.

Seems like a lot of WWE fans are hating on Gable. Why doesn't he lean into that and go full heel, make them really despise him? That would give him immediate attention and jumpstart his pro wrestling persona. Maybe he's already doing that, idk because I don't keep up with WWE.

Every wrestler starting out struggles with positioning and working fast. It's part of your initial traingin to get those bad habits out. It isnt an amateur wrestling exclusive issue. It's an every pro wrestler issue lol. 

As for Angle, he did go through training. Trained at OVW in KY. Was there for six months or so then went up to WWE. Gable is training at the Performance Center in Florida and has been there for like two years now. In that time he's had like three tv appearances. It means the issue, whatever it is, is happening in Florida at the PC. 

Gable won't get any say in his character. Vince has 100% of the say. 

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, TNwrestling said:

Isn't Kasper still in NXT too and has been for awhile?   It's not even confirmed the WWE even has "an issue" with Steveson's performance, right?

35 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

Gable won't get any say in his character. Vince has 100% of the say. 

That's too bad, I was looking forward to the big reveal that Gable Steveson won his Olympic gold competing for... wait, Gable is taking his singlet off and he has another singlet underneath... hold on, what countr-- what flag is that? You mean he was actually competing for North Korea????

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Isn't Kasper still in NXT too and has been for awhile?   It's not even confirmed the WWE even has "an issue" with Steveson's performance, right?

Kasper and his brother just moved up to the main roster a couple weeks ago (I don't watch WWE but i do keep in touch with him every so often). Their amount of time in developmental isnt that far off considering neither of them had stepped into a ring before they started training. That time frame would obviously be different for someone who had been trained and was on the indie circuit before signing with wwe. Now take the time they were there and all their tv time and title matches compared to Gable. 

Of course its not confirmed WWE has "an issue", nothing like that would ever be confirmed. This is just the assertion i made between what i know about the business and WWE and the stories i've been told by some who have worked there. 

Jumping in late and in reference to Gable's charisma/mic skills. Gable is very different behind the scenes than what most see when he's on the wrestling mat. He's pretty quiet and reserved overall. Hearing about potential "mic" issues doesn't really surprise me at all.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, TNwrestling said:

Kasper and his brother just moved up to the main roster a couple weeks ago (I don't watch WWE but i do keep in touch with him every so often). Their amount of time in developmental isnt that far off considering neither of them had stepped into a ring before they started training.

Yeah I think that was kinda my point re: Gable.  If even Kasper, who seems to have beeb successful, was in NXT for awhile, it shouldn't be a surprise if Gable is.

6 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I think that was kinda my point re: Gable.  If even Kasper, who seems to have beeb successful, was in NXT for awhile, it shouldn't be a surprise if Gable is.

But you missed the point. Kasper was on nxt. Gable isnt. He's been televised like 3 times the last two years. 

If you're at the WWE Performance Center for two years and aren't wrestling, there's an issue. A major issue. After two years just about anybody off the street could be turned into a pro wrestler there. 

12 minutes ago, TNwrestling said:

But you missed the point. Kasper was on nxt. Gable isnt. He's been televised like 3 times the last two years. 

If you're at the WWE Performance Center for two years and aren't wrestling, there's an issue. A major issue. After two years just about anybody off the street could be turned into a pro wrestler there. 

Has Gable been there 2 years?

12 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

A rather big difference is Jakob Casper can do a standing backflip and Steveson can only get it done with a 25 ft running roundoff launchpad. He's a beyond-elite level of athleticism but he might just not be the type of athlete that WWE is looking for because Vince McMahon doesn't care about your quicktwitch ability to snap down and go behind during a scripted play.

Gable's flips are crazy high amplitude. Dake used to do backflips, too. But nothing like Gable.

A standing backflip isn't as difficult as some may think. It's more about technique than athletic ability. The straight back and arm swing make it pretty easy. I was surprised to find that out when a HS gymnast friend showed me.

So, this gymnast gal, so super-hot, she finished gymnastics practice about the same time wrestling practice finished and we bumped into each other in the hallway outside the wrestling room. We start talking about gymnastics and next thing I know we're back in the wrestling room and she's teaching me how to do a standing backflip. She's got to spot me, so she's a little handsy. I didn't complain.  Success - it wasn't that difficult. I thank her, we chat a bit then call it a day. Shut the lights back off and then... we wander a bit around the dark wrestling room.

Wait - what was I talking about?

• Fire 3

40 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Gable's flips are crazy high amplitude. Dake used to do backflips, too. But nothing like Gable.

A standing backflip isn't as difficult as some may think. It's more about technique than athletic ability. The straight back and arm swing make it pretty easy. I was surprised to find that out when a HS gymnast friend showed me.

So, this gymnast gal, so super-hot, she finished gymnastics practice about the same time wrestling practice finished and we bumped into each other in the hallway outside the wrestling room. We start talking about gymnastics and next thing I know we're back in the wrestling room and she's teaching me how to do a standing backflip. She's got to spot me, so she's a little handsy. I didn't complain.  Success - it wasn't that difficult. I thank her, we chat a bit then call it a day. Shut the lights back off and then... we wander a bit around the dark wrestling room.

Wait - what was I talking about?

Please keep your smut elsewhere 

12 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

"Smut" is kind of an old school word. Just for clarification, would it include this?

Seems like a nice enough gal to me.

6906d4a9266e6af9959f134f28f1a0a6.jpg

Those boots aren't very tactical.

And that trigger discipline...

• Fire 1