The Pre-Season "If The NCAA Comes To Their Senses" Projections: Reasonable Gambling Penalties Edition

Wrestleknownothing

I have a gentle request, WKN. 

Is it possible to set your spreadsheet setting for percentages to whole numbers. My high school physics teacher, Mr. Valentine, is rolling in his grave over the significant digits implication of 1/100 of a percent being reported.  He would insist that means we have/need 10,000 data points to be accurate to & report a .0001 level of precision.  

P.S.  I love the tables and charts and data and analysis and am quite conflicted about writing this respectful request.

49 minutes ago, Lipdrag said:

I have a gentle request, WKN. 

Is it possible to set your spreadsheet setting for percentages to whole numbers. My high school physics teacher, Mr. Valentine, is rolling in his grave over the significant digits implication of 1/100 of a percent being reported.  He would insist that means we have/need 10,000 data points to be accurate to & report a .0001 level of precision.  

P.S.  I love the tables and charts and data and analysis and am quite conflicted about writing this respectful request.

The funny thing is I often do that for a different reason. I would call them spurious digits. Since they are not measurements, but integer counts used to calculate percentages I think I am OK on significance, but not so much on spuriousness.

I occasionally dig up old stuff I did, like this, where, for some reason, I did not over-ride the default formatting in Tableau (BI software I often use instead of a spreadsheet). As the woman who edits the stuff I write for work can attest, I sometimes (often?) miss inconsistencies in formatting and phrasing in my own work.

Feel no conflict. We can all use good editors.

image.thumb.png.3640465ab658348a2a31211a4046db0a.png

And since I cannot be responsible for disturbing Mr. Valentine's eternity, I have reformatted. RIP, good man.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Nebraska has been very volatile. From the best performing relative to seed in 2022 to the worst in 2023 among top schools

image.thumb.png.82534d2b48cb6b5350617fd0c5bf4d9c.png

Ok State a little less volatile but also coming off a rough year.

image.thumb.png.17e0d51af16e29ff659131978b383676.png

My reasoning for selecting Nebraska was their two highly ranked guys. Lovett is a very solid wrestler but has no where to go but down (SVN, Henson, Gomez -has beat Lovett twice, Mauller would all be formidable opponents). Also, just don't really know what to do with Robb and how he will respond to the injury/recovery. For what its worth I hope that he proves me wrong and as a result Nebraska outperforms their seed.

My reasoning for selecting OK State was basically opposite for Nebraska. I think they have a couple guys with upside (Sprately, Alvarez, Thompson) and their highly ranked guys are pretty solid bets to place at/near seed (Fix, Plott). 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Tableau (BI software I often use instead of a spreadsheet)

At least your company is not cheap and doesn't force you into PowerBI or Domo. Or SAS if you're an ancient actuary...

i am an idiot on the internet