Book Bans

1 hour ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

If works of literature use them in service of education, then I feel they are fine to keep and kids should have those conversations with THEIR PARENTS as to when and how they are appropriate. 

What if the works of literature happens to be "The Turner Diaries."

So you're saying that people are better off less informed, with less exposure to other cultures and perspectives? This will lead to more ethical behavior and better health decisions? 

100% wrong framing.  

Revised.  People are better off when exposed to more information of other cultures and perspectives, at the appropriate time (age).

• Fire 1

How many of you are educators,  and/or work within schools to even know what these terms are that you're using and the frequency of these catastrophes happening?

You're just parroting what irresponsible people are telling you to parrot, all designed to keep you angry,  uninformed,  and against educators/ unions/Democrat funding sources. 

Edited by Ban Basketball

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

31 minutes ago, jross said:

I got there because the emphasized was followed by the statement "For what it's worth, I am completely against book banning, period."  This is why I stated what I thought you meant, and used the language "if so."

Okay. Still not sure how you made that connection but just to be clear, I am against banning books, in large part because I believe it is on the parents to instill the values and ideals in their children. Responsibly, well mannered, of course. 

• Fire 2

Are you liberatrian? Isn't it like communism? works on paper but the human condition can't/won't abide by that kind of system. 

Are you a parent or a teacher?  Did you suffer as a child because you didn't have access to books?  What is your angle on the book ban conversation?

Yes, I hold many libertarian views.  Coexistance is one of the views I support...

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Bigbrog said:

Those of you on here that do not have kids do not get to have an opinion on things that impact kids.

I have 5 children (all married) I have 14 grandchildren ( with one more in the oven).  Home schooled, public schooled and college schooled . All the above. I hope I am qualified.

8 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Those of you on here that do not have kids do not get to have an opinion on things that impact kids.

I have five, and that is just wrong. If people were limited to being allowed to have an opinion only on something they have done….well then what the hell are all of us doing here?  95% in this site would be relegated to the HS Wrestling message board. 

• Fire 1

Just now, Paul158 said:

I have 5 children (all married) I have 14 grandchildren ( with one more in the oven).  Home schooled, public schooled and college schooled . All the above. I hope I am qualified.

LOL...well let's let Ban decide since he thinks he is the one that determines who get's an opinion on topics.

In all seriousness...nice!!  Bet your family gatherings are amazing??  And I believe if you have kids then you are MORE than qualified to have an opinion about how and what they are taught in schools.  Juat because someone is educated in education and is a teacher doesn't mean they are the all knower's of everything kid.  They know how to teach the core subjects to students, not that they are experts in every aspect of kids and every subject matter a kid should learn about as they grow up.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Bigbrog said:

LOL...well let's let Ban decide since he thinks he is the one that determines who get's an opinion on topics.

In all seriousness...nice!!  Bet your family gatherings are amazing??  And I believe if you have kids then you are MORE than qualified to have an opinion about how and what they are taught in schools.  Juat because someone is educated in education and is a teacher doesn't mean they are the all knower's of everything kid.  They know how to teach the core subjects to students, not that they are experts in every aspect of kids and every subject matter a kid should learn about as they grow up.

Allowed to have an opinion………

all knowers of everything kid, every aspect of every subject matter a kid should ever learn. 

Quite a big leap there pal. You can understand my confusion to what you were meaning. 

5 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I am curious how this is supposed to work.  You have an opinion on what your child can or should be exposed to.  Schools must abide by that opinion.  Do I have that correct?

6 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

They're better experts in knowing the materials suitable for their respective grade levels,  all within the confines of their curriculums than are non-educators.

Stay in your lane,  idiot,  and let trained pros determine content,  not a bunch of enraged nincompoops deliberately being misled,  such as yisself.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 minute ago, Plasmodium said:

I am curious how this is supposed to work.  You have an opinion on what your child can or should be exposed to.  Schools must abide by that opinion.  Do I have that correct?

Imagine the idiots that we'd be producing. 

5 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I understand that sentiment... parent's have unique insights that non-parents do not.  And so do teachers.  Everyone's opinion matters and comes from life experience, minimally from the perspective of having once been a kid.  Or being a member of society matters when these children's later life decision impact me and mine.

• Fire 1

The county where I live has a Parents Bill of Rights for their school system. Moore County Schools Parents Bill of Rights. Schools shall defer to parents to make the best social and moral decisions with respect to their children. This is part of what it says. Its easy to look up . Maybe someone can post a link to it. The teachers, the School Board and the parents were all on board with this.

Edited by Paul158
missed a word

8 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

The county where I live has a Parents Bill of Rights for their school system. Moore County Schools Parents Bill of Rights. Schools shall defer to parents to make the best social and moral decisions with respect to their children. This is part of what it says. Its easy to look up . Maybe someone can post a link to it. The teachers, the School Board and the parents were all on board with this.

All well and good,  but I'll also bet that trained educators,  administrators,  and the school board make all final curricula decisions. 

I wouldn't let untrained educators get one word as to things that trained pros do. 

16 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Allowed to have an opinion………

all knowers of everything kid, every aspect of every subject matter a kid should ever learn. 

Quite a big leap there pal. You can understand my confusion to what you were meaning. 

What I mean is that a parent should have knowledge of what their child is learning...there are things that the education institutions do have expertise in in terms of the core subjects and what and when in regard to those; however, I also believe parents, through the proper channels should have a say/opinion in what those core subjects are...in terms of generalities.  As for sexual education and gender topics, this is something I believe parents should have a lot of say in.  Do I say that because of religious beliefs...no.  Do I say that because I don't believe in alternative lifestyles and those who want to identify as something other than their assigned sex at birth...no.  I say that in it is an extremely important topic and I want to know what my kid is being taught and I also should have a say in what I think is "graphic" in nature in terms of those topics.   I am not sure how this somehow gets twisted into this "isn't my lane" and "leave it to the experts" b.s.??  That is the point I was trying to make.

The sentence about having an opinion about kids is only allowed when you have kids as a sarcastic response to dumb dumb ban's post about not being able to have an opinion about education if you aren't a teacher.  I'm done responding directly to the idiot.  

• Fire 2

1 minute ago, Ban Basketball said:

All well and good,  but I'll also bet that trained educators,  administrators,  and the school board make all final curricula decisions. 

I wouldn't let untrained educators get one word as to things that trained pros do. 

You can look it up. It is really easy to find. Its under Moore County Schools Parents Bill of Rights. I believe its more about allowing parents to do the parenting and the educators to teach reading, writing and arithmetic along with other subjects.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

What I mean is that a parent should have knowledge of what their child is learning...there are things that the education institutions do have expertise in in terms of the core subjects and what and when in regard to those; however, I also believe parents, through the proper channels should have a say/opinion in what those core subjects are...in terms of generalities.  As for sexual education and gender topics, this is something I believe parents should have a lot of say in.  Do I say that because of religious beliefs...no.  Do I say that because I don't believe in alternative lifestyles and those who want to identify as something other than their assigned sex at birth...no.  I say that in it is an extremely important topic and I want to know what my kid is being taught and I also should have a say in what I think is "graphic" in nature in terms of those topics.   I am not sure how this somehow gets twisted into this "isn't my lane" and "leave it to the experts" b.s.??  That is the point I was trying to make.

The sentence about having an opinion about kids is only allowed when you have kids as a sarcastic response to dumb dumb ban's post about not being able to have an opinion about education if you aren't a teacher.  I'm done responding directly to the idiot.  

I didn’t pick up the sarcasm, my bad. Apologies. 

• Fire 2

37 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Define untrained educator. 

1 hour ago, Offthemat said:

You may say that they ‘fear’ that their children are being groomed, but the meaning in that context isn’t fear. It’s more like see, realize, understand and are enraged.  That’s why they stand and confront the people who are responsible for it. 
Constitutionally, there is no restriction to public funding of religious entities.  There has been much bastardization of a phrase from a letter.  In our country’s early stages there was significant government funding of religious schools.  
The performance of charter schools is easy to find, here’s one example:

“The researchers demonstrate that these learning gains were realized by tens of thousands of charter school students across the country, and progress was particularly strong among Blacks and Hispanics and those living in poverty. The study notes that these gains show that it is possible to achieve positive learning outcomes at scale and accelerate growth for students who have been inadequately served by traditional public school systems.”

https://www.hoover.org/research/charter-schools-new-evidence-student-success-matter-fact-national-charter-school-study-iii

They may not have been tested on their ability to condomize a cucumber, though. 

So, you're assuming a lot in order to maintain your bias. You have not mentioned anything about grooming. You have offered no examples but seem to imply that THAT is an obvious reason. It isn't. 

No constitutional restriction? Really? Are you that dense? Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.  By giving money to one religion or religious entity they give preference to that religion or religious entity. That is a no no. There is no end to the amount of religions or religious entities they must support equally so as to not respect or prohibit a religion. So the easiest way to do that is to give them nothing. Also the tax exempt status. This reasoning is tired and you are dishonest and AND ignorant that you are positing it. To have freedom OF religion the government must be free FROM religion. Not religious people but of religious motivations and support. 

All the data you can attribute to charter schools is possible to achieve at adequately funded public schools. But they have been bled dry for decades. Give more money to education then to DOD.