Should Greco be an Olympic sport?

peanut

Should Greco be an Olympic sport?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should Greco be an Olympic sport?

• Yes -- Greco should be an Olympic sport
    • No -- Greco should not be an Olympic sport

If anything Greco should also be a Women's option as well.

ADD to it... don't take away.

Also... curious question(s) would be... do we try to get Folkstyle in?  Beach wrestling is picking up steam... let's get Folkstyle in?

I would also be all for getting wrestling to be a Winter sport at the Olympics.  Just saying...

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

17 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Also... curious question(s) would be... do we try to get Folkstyle in?  Beach wrestling is picking up steam... let's get Folkstyle in?

I would also be all for getting wrestling to be a Winter sport at the Olympics.  Just saying...

No snow or ice, which is kinda a prerequisite.  

Maybe a "snow wrestling" tournament?

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Let's focus on getting the olympics back to 10 weights. Folkstyle wrestling olympics happen every March in the USA at NCAA's. Not enough interest for it outside the USA.

38 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

No snow or ice, which is kinda a prerequisite.  

Maybe a "snow wrestling" tournament?

When does wrestling take place, though?  What actual season?  Winter... at least in the Northern Hemisphere... which what... 95% of medalists are geographically located?

Just now, Gus said:

Let's focus on getting the olympics back to 10 weights. Folkstyle wrestling olympics happen every March in the USA at NCAA's. Not enough interest for it outside the USA.

I never said or meant to take anything from Freestyle or Greco currently.  I meant if we can't add weights, which should be a focus as well as getting a Women's Greco going, then we should focus on getting other styles of wrestling in.  I don't think beach wrestling is too far away, to be honest... with how some of these other sports are getting approved...

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

When does wrestling take place, though?  What actual season?  Winter... at least in the Northern Hemisphere... which what... 95% of medalists are geographically located?

That's because it is cold outside, and the Winter Olympics embraces outdoor activities.  Look at the list of sports.  Basketball played inside too, also a summer Olympic sport.

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I never said or meant to take anything from Freestyle or Greco currently.  I meant if we can't add weights, which should be a focus as well as getting a Women's Greco going, then we should focus on getting other styles of wrestling in.  I don't think beach wrestling is too far away, to be honest... with how some of these other sports are getting approved...

I would love to see Folkstyle wrestling in the Olympics, it's just not a style that is popular internationally. It would be like putting football in the olympics, USA would just crush.

1 minute ago, Gus said:

I would love to see Folkstyle wrestling in the Olympics, it's just not a style that is popular internationally. It would be like putting football in the olympics, USA would just crush.

Or like basketball or baseball or golf or tennis or soccer or ...

6 minutes ago, ionel said:

and really no reason for any of them in the Olympic games. 

I think basketball & baseball have a case that is greater than, golf, tennis or soccer. The latter three already have pinnacle-level international competition. I don't care about basketball or baseball, but apparently basketball has a healthy international presence, especially in Europe. Baseball might be able to make a similar case with popularity in Central America and East Asia. 

Of course, if it's an originalist argument, then the only Olympic sports would be derivative of combat....In which case, American Football would be more appropriate than any of the sport-balls.

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Pssst....there's wrestling around the world outside of the USA scholastic wrestling season.  

In some of those places.....it's a big sport, and they're pretty good.

• Fire 1

39 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Pssst....there's wrestling around the world outside of the USA scholastic wrestling season.  

In some of those places.....it's a big sport, and they're pretty good.

What does that have to do with much of anything?

When are Worlds Typically?  Are they during the summer?  Is September summer now?

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Wasn't last Saturday first day of Fall so most of September is Summer?

Fair.

34 minutes ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Yes...it is.  The Summer Olympics, which is held one month earlier in August, is also summer now.

Fine.

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

For the most-part, freestyle and Greco take place from March into July (end of high school folkstyle through Fargo).

Summer Olympics reflect the correct period when that is the consideration for the Northern Hemisphere.

• Fire 1