Micah Parsons is the ambassador wrestling needs

Widely being considered the best player in the NFL right now, and an actual fan of watching wrestling.

I know there was a past thread on here talking about how he stopped wrestling before high school so this may seem counterintuitive, but we need to accept that many guys that actually have NFL potential will stop wrestling to focus on football as they get older.

However I believe he has credited wrestling for helping him develop some of the traits that make him so dominant.  Anyone have a link to a recent interview/article where he does this?  Was hoping to send to a friend :)

But you can add him to the list of people in the NFL (Sean McDermott another) praising wrestling as helping develop elite football players.  So even if wrestling loses some that truly have NFL or at least D1 football potential where you can’t really blame them, if more coaches and parents see the link between wrestling and football, wrestling could gain more younger participants.

• Fire 1

Here is one video I’ve shown to some people in the past where Parsons and I presume another PSU football player get dominated by some wrestlers in the “lumberjack circuit”

And yes Jimmy, I know Parsons is going to make more money than any of these guys can dream of.  Although I guess if Bo is as good in the UFC as some think he could certainly make more than many NFL players.

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Widely being considered the best player in the NFL right now, and an actual fan of watching wrestling.

I know there was a past thread on here talking about how he stopped wrestling before high school so this may seem counterintuitive, but we need to accept that many guys that actually have NFL potential will stop wrestling to focus on football as they get older.

However I believe he has credited wrestling for helping him develop some of the traits that make him so dominant.  Anyone have a link to a recent interview/article where he does this?  Was hoping to send to a friend :)

But you can add him to the list of people in the NFL (Sean McDermott another) praising wrestling as helping develop elite football players.  So even if wrestling loses some that truly have NFL or at least D1 football potential where you can’t really blame them, if more coaches and parents see the link between wrestling and football, wrestling could gain more younger participants.

Ok i love micahs game but the man has a lot of work to do to be the “best player in the nfl” as he’s not even the best defensive player in the NFL …but James Franklin mentioned last week talking about parsons that he was the biggest supporter of the wrestling program in the whole school, went to every single home match , and asked Cael if he could join the team when football season was over at one point….Franklin shut that down 

Bo came out in an interview a few years back and said he wrestled with Parsons during college and that he was legit , he just didn’t have the stamina but for that 1 minute he was as tough as anyone Bo wrestled 

I get your point but I don’t think not having enough youth wrestlers is the problem , I think it’s retention that’s the issue  ..every year where I’m from (North Jersey) our youth program is stacked ,60-100 kids on any given year , most starting young  6-9 but by the time they hit high school the numbers really thin out for a multitude of reasons , the biggest being this flawed concept kids should only focus on one sport , a lot of personal trainers , club team coaches for all sports put that thought in parents heads and a lot of the time wrestling is the sport that gets ditched , when in reality wrestling is going to help you at least say in superior shape for the other seasons 

Irvington High school ( inner city school next to Newark) implemented an interesting policy a few years back , the football team was on the rise and the new head football coach (former wrestler) made a policy that if u want to play football for Irvington you need to wrestle for at least one year (exceptions for the star basketball players) and the policy worked great , it helped the football team and the wrestling numbers and team success went way up ,( the graduation rates went way up for athletes and they had alot less off the mat issues, as Irvington is a high crime and gang area ) with in a few years you started to see them with all these state qualifers at the upper weights , 15 years ago you wouldn’t even know they had a team …obviously Covid and “online schooling” messed up alot , especially in the inner cities and irvington struggled the past 2 years with a multitude of issues , most of which brought on by outsider interference (govt. and unions) but this policy definitely worked , it brought more big time athletes to sport, kept alot of young men out of trouble and off the corners , I wish more inner city schools would look to Irvington as a blueprint bc it’s helps the sports and the kids 

2 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Ok i love micahs game but the man has a lot of work to do to be the “best player in the nfl” as he’s not even the best defensive player in the NFL …but James Franklin mentioned last week talking about parsons that he was the biggest supporter of the wrestling program in the whole school, went to every single home match , and asked Cael if he could join the team when football season was over at one point….Franklin shut that down 

Bo came out in an interview a few years back and said he wrestled with Parsons during college and that he was legit , he just didn’t have the stamina but for that 1 minute he was as tough as anyone Bo wrestled 

I get your point but I don’t think not having enough youth wrestlers is the problem , I think it’s retention that’s the issue  ..every year where I’m from (North Jersey) our youth program is stacked ,60-100 kids on any given year , most starting young  6-9 but by the time they hit high school the numbers really thin out for a multitude of reasons , the biggest being this flawed concept kids should only focus on one sport , a lot of personal trainers , club team coaches for all sports put that thought in parents heads and a lot of the time wrestling is the sport that gets ditched , when in reality wrestling is going to help you at least say in superior shape for the other seasons 

Irvington High school ( inner city school next to Newark) implemented an interesting policy a few years back , the football team was on the rise and the new head football coach (former wrestler) made a policy that if u want to play football for Irvington you need to wrestle for at least one year (exceptions for the star basketball players) and the policy worked great , it helped the football team and the wrestling numbers and team success went way up ,( the graduation rates went way up for athletes and they had alot less off the mat issues, as Irvington is a high crime and gang area ) with in a few years you started to see them with all these state qualifers at the upper weights , 15 years ago you wouldn’t even know they had a team …obviously Covid and “online schooling” messed up alot , especially in the inner cities and irvington struggled the past 2 years with a multitude of issues , most of which brought on by outsider interference (govt. and unions) but this policy definitely worked , it brought more big time athletes to sport, kept alot of young men out of trouble and off the corners , I wish more inner city schools would look to Irvington as a blueprint bc it’s helps the sports and the kids 

Actually so far this season he probably is the best player in the NFL.  Who would you put above him?